364 replies to this topic

#1 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Been a while since I've been here but once I saw this news I just had to come back and post it here.

Firaxis are re-making UFO: Enemy Unknown ... aka X-COM: UFO Defense... and they're calling it XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Rock Paper Shotgun article: http://www.rockpaper...-enemy-unknown/
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#2 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

New new new X-Com.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#3 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Now now we all now that X-Com is dead now XCOM lives... hope any proper news soon will hit the net.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

I'm not buying it. It'll be a Civ version or something lame.

Not that I don't like Civ; but it's a different gameset than X-Com.

#5 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

Apparently they are using both the real-time and turn-based aspects of the game.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

"Steve Martin" said:

Itís been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. Weíre huge fans of the original game and itís a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM. We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise.
Can no one make up their mind about that bloody hyphen?
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#7 m3rcury

m3rcury

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hopefully this game stays true to the original, but with upgrades, also hopefully open for modders.

What also would make this my GOTY is having Turn Based Real Time Strategy system, like Frozen Synapse is (Where you issue commands to your troops, and the same does the enemy, then after you issue your turn then it becomes real time) but preferable having this as an optional setting for people who would like to try out new ways to play an old game.

#8 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postm3rcury, on 11th January 2012, 11:42pm, said:

Hopefully this game stays true to the original, but with upgrades, also hopefully open for modders.

What also would make this my GOTY is having Turn Based Real Time Strategy system, like Frozen Synapse is (Where you issue commands to your troops, and the same does the enemy, then after you issue your turn then it becomes real time) but preferable having this as an optional setting for people who would like to try out new ways to play an old game.
Welcome to the board, m3rcury! I share your hopes.

#9 Schuesseled

Schuesseled

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Developer Interview number one.

Game Looks good, doubt ill find it better than the aftermath series, but heres hoping

nvm just say the other topic, with lots of info :blush:

#10 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

We were lucky enough to spot this one, though I didn't dawn on me that it was posted in the wrong news section... Also, better to be spotted twice than not once.

#11 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

PC details.

#12 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I've just heard that if this game sells well Firaxis plans on making remake of TFTD. That would super uber cool.

#13 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

Where did you read that? please post link!
Posted Image

#14 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Ok I've just heard it wrong.... Blame me from hearing stuff with one ear and doing some other stuff :argh:(((
What I've heard is the hopes of journalist that if the game sells well they (Firaxis) will do TFTD.

#15 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Oh well, we share those hopes.

#16 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm not sure how well TFTD would "work" in a modern game engine. You don't really think about it with the old one, but I reckon modern rendering would push home how implausible the underwater combat system really is. (No swimming? Surviving a bleeding head wound when by all rights your diving helmet should also have a hole in it?)

Of course, they could design a system that handles it all "properly", but there'd be a lot to change. I'm suspecting they'll skip TFTD if they can (assuming they decide to pay any attention to the original sequels at all). Not to say it wouldn't be cool.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#17 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Remember it is 2050 so they might be self repairing suits :argh: (and ships from 1950 era :D )

#18 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

There are so many problems in doing a TFTD remake properly that I don't think they'll bother.

Some people prefer TFTD for it's extra touches, and even the insane difficulty, but I think it would be fair to say that the majority of people prefer UFO (compare the forum stats if nothing else - 12,000-odd posts in the UFO:EU forum and just under 4,000 for TFTD and both forums have been up for getting on 10 years now, if not slightly longer!), so if anything it would make more financial sense to do a follow-up to that.

Back to the problem of doing TFTD properly - the diving suits in TFTD are ridiculous given how far you can travel in them underwater as well as the depths you're supposed to be at during some of the missions (they should have programmed some missions so you can only do them in Mag Ion armour). The diving suits would have to be re-imagined to make such movement realistic (some sort of displacement technology build in so you can walk normally rather than just suspending disbelief) or else you would have to swim everywhere instead, which sounds cool and crap in equal measure :argh: A displacement suit from the start would solve the movement problem and then you could have an extra movement penalty if the unit were knocked out by enemy fire or something. I dunno.

There are all sorts of other issues too, but I think silencer has hit it on the head in that it is in the future so technically they can have any starting tech they like - just as long as they lose the archaic diving suits and other elements from bygone eras.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#19 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

http://uk.pc.gamespy.../1220087p1.html

GameSpy: How have you made the interception mini-game not suck?

JS: A fair question. Interception is still in, and it's still a pretty short experience, because we didn't want to add a whole third game. We thought two games was enough for one game, you know? Combat, strategy. We haven't shown it off yet, but it actually has more gameplay elements to it. But yeah, we're not talking about it just yet. Yes, we're aware.

Well, I'm glad to know they are intending to do more with interception.  At least make the aliens seem to care they're being attacked!

#20 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

That's a great interview! Plenty of incisive questions about topics that hadn't been covered so far.
Proud veteran of the X-COM Alliance Sim
[ JG-7X3 ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users