3 replies to this topic

#1 baby arm

baby arm

Jazzercise Instructor

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

A little game you might have heard of was given the retrospective treatment at Edge, with contributions from Julian Gollop himself.

The original demo was for a relatively modest, two player tactical game. MicroProse asked them to base the action on Earth and to expand on the original design to deliver something more in keeping with the other epic strategy games it already had on its roster. “That prompted me to add the strategic level, with the basic idea of an alien infiltration of earth and the need to capture and research the alien technology to defeat them. It was quite a radical design in many respects, but we were trying to create a grand scale that would rival that of Civilization. In fact the research and technology tree somewhat emulates the role of advances in Civilization, but it also helped to develop the storyline.”

#2 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

An interesting read with some interesting facts and figures. Cheers for posting the link!
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#3 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,309 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

Very, very nice early days insider stuff there. Thanks for the tip, baby arm.

You better believe X-Com refuses to die! :)

::

I've been wondering, does anyone know what the Gollops are doing in the present day ?

#4 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

No idea. Last we heard Julian was producing a chess game for Ubisoft, but no news since then.

The 600 000 figure is a lot more than Dave Ellis suggested. I think that would be a good figure even today, provided the budget was not too high. I fired off an e-mail to Edge seeking confirmation of the figure, because it wasn't a direct quote from Julian.

Also, why are we the only ones not to get a response from him? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users