UFO:AL (of course)

Hi guys,its been a long time since my last post,before Xmas if I remember correctly.Hope you all had a boring time :(

Anyway,as the time for UFO:AL draws ever closer (this week?) should we be getting our hopes up?.I certainly hope so,yet im still a bit sceptical after my annoying attempts to try and finish UFO:AS (damn bugs!) ultimately resulting in me retiring the game to its permanent box.However,I am hopeful this time...are you?

I read some reviews in and around the web by the way,it sounds and looks good...so far :(

Farewell for now.

I do have big hopes, i wouldnt have started the new modding project if i havent :(

The most important thing is the game feels like one piece, the atmosphere is dense and the file system is said to be much more moddable than its precursors :(

*Moans heavily*

I do wish that my mom didn't have to move this coming weekend. :(

It means heavy backbreaking work since my brother probably will be to occupied with his and his wifes new rugrat (Family life really sucks the energy out of you is my personal opinion. Then again I'm still single).

What you won't go through for your old folks while they are still alive. At least the ones that still are breathing. :(

If it is any comfort I hope that I can use my savegame from the preview version. If not then all I can say is: Let the mayhem begin.

CG, how does it compare against UFO: AS?

In short: Better, different, refined.

I'll get back to this post later....Work is calling....

Back now.

Overall the game is even more polished and tuned from what UFO: Aftershock was compared to UFO: Aftermath. It is very clear that the team behind the series has learned from their experiences and has evolved along with the game.

The ghost of buggyness seems finally to have been put to rest as gameplay runs much more smooth and bugfree. Although the odd bug still rears it's head. But that is very rare. At least while I played (4 bugs in some 40 hours worth of gameplay).

Grenade throwing was a great disappointment in UFO Aftershock with insane grenade throwing. We all know the stories and the advice: Forget about grenades and rockets they are messed up.

That advice is outdated as grenades and rocket are functioning as they should again blowing up stuff that you want blown up.

The AI has been one of the series sore spots. Either way to easy or way to hard.

After coming past the first pushover enemies thing got a whole lot worse. I found myself outgunned, outnumbered, outflanked and it was suddenly a whole new ball game.:(

Seeing the AI actually using tactics succesfully against me made me adapt, improvise and overcome. Adapting to the flow of combat is paramount if you want to play this game succesfully. So if you find it frustrating don't give up. Stop, maybe take a break, and see where you are and what you can do to forge ahead.

The tactical possibilities were near endless in UFO Aftershock though the use of them were somewhat nerfed since you could play bulldozer with the enemy. The use of tactics have have improved with new kinds of terrain allowing for a different kind of gameplay in the tactical combat missions.

Fooling around and trying various tactics and/or things is a learning experience therefore playing this game is a learning experience. How fast you learn or if you learn anything will determine how much you will love this game.

Loosing people isn't an option anymore since you only a certain numbers people instead of an infinite supply of cannon fodder as you had in UFO Aftershock.

That's all for now....See you after the 9th right here on StrategyCore

Edited by Crazy Gringo

I dont know if it will be better,but it certainly sounds different which is a welcomed breath of fresh air.I totally like the idea of setting up on Mars this time,Earth has become boring.

Graphically it looks great,however I am a bit surprised with the new colour system this time,the colours appear VERY bright almost comic like.

Having said that,I am looking forward to Friday nonetheless.

Good to see you again Gringo,as always.Funny new avatar,whoever he is!You sure like cigars eh mate? :(

I do understand the colour scheme now that I have played the game.

Mars is a pretty dead place colorwise with only reddish/brownish colors.

With the bright pastel color scheme things are more visible on the surface of Mars where visibility can change alot over very short amount of time.

Some people would surely have prefered a bronze/golden/silvery look for that future scientific look. If that is the case then mod the models.... :(

My new avatar....He is no one real....He is a digitally rendered 3D-model.

As for cigars. I don't smoke. Never has and never will....It just gave the avatar that extra don't-mess-with-me look.

Xomul.

Trust me,I have tried EVERYTHING with UFO:AS.The first time I used to get the odd crash with the WG missions.Then there was a problem with the StarGhost trigger,which of course I never got and so my game became redundant with no progress,or so it seemed.Apparently it has something to do with the 1.2 patch,so I rolled back to 1.1 (fresh install).The problem I have now is my bleedin save game doesnt work!.I saved it to a CD-RW disc in the hope of restoring my old game after a fresh install,no luck.The screen refreshes itself to something like 800x600 (or lower) then crashes to Desktop.

In a nutshell,I lost patience,and now I wait anxiously for tomorrow morning :(

By the way I have had UFO:AS since the very first day of its release,and am a massive fan of the old X-COM games,which means I have loads of patience with games.This just has too many bugs for my liking.

Thanks.

Gringo.

I just read your recent report on UFO:AL,and I think I may sleep well tonight.I seriously hope its as bug free as you claim.Tell me,how on earth did you get to play 40hrs worth?,do you have the game already?

Cheers.