Age of Decadence

Or Manifesto Games. They should spread it to as many download services as possible if the services are interested. Steam, Gamer's Gate and all the others if they're able. I'm sure Vince has been in touch with them.

As for the interview, great! Even if it's not the sort of game we usually cover, I think we should post this in the news as a tribute to turn-based :D. Have no time to fix right now however.

On the other hand is there a point where you have too much of it? Meaning a point where there's too much emphasis on combat in comparison to other, non-violent ways of going through the game.

Some rather successful RPGs do focus on it entirely, though you could make the case that they are turn-based tactical wargames with RPG elements. But I know I've played a few RPGs where stealth or talking your way past enemies was hardly a choice at all.

I think the combat animations are a bit too slow, at the moment. It's all very gentlemanly and polite, they need a bit more oomph, in the form of more speed or graphical/audio presence, but it's hardly a major problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the combat animations are a bit too slow, at the moment. It's all very gentlemanly and polite, they need a bit more oomph, in the form of more speed or graphical/audio presence, but it's hardly a major problem.

Agreed. There is a combat speed slider (the speed in the video is the default) so you can speed it up, although that probably won't help with the hits and dodges looking too similar some of the time.

Or Manifesto Games. They should spread it to as many download services as possible if the services are interested. Steam, Gamer's Gate and all the others if they're able. I'm sure Vince has been in touch with them.

They've definitely probed the various download services, but I don't know about Steam. AOD might not have enough mainstream appeal for a giant like Steam. The downside of these services is that they generally take a 40% or so cut. Of course, it'd be worth it with Steam just for that crazy exposure they provide.

Time for another interview, this time at the Random Gnomes' Random Lair.

7. Will there be dialog? Puzzles? Moral Choices? Naked goblins?

We've spent all our money on dialogues and choices, so we had to skip puzzles and goblins completely. Even though they look kinda hot naked.

Overall, dialogues and choices are the main aspect of the game and the main attraction. We have seven different endings and only two involve mortal combat. You'll be able to talk your way in and out of trouble, make allies and enemies (there are no default good and bad guys), and handle quests in non-combat ways using dialogues and text adventure elements.

There's also a breakdown of some of the combat options in a turn so have a look.

They've definitely probed the various download services, but I don't know about Steam. AOD might not have enough mainstream appeal for a giant like Steam. The downside of these services is that they generally take a 40% or so cut. Of course, it'd be worth it with Steam just for that crazy exposure they provide.

Quite possible. Then again, there's no damage in asking. They do have Terror From The Deep there. Granted X-COM is a well known license for some, but still....

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've paid the ol' forums a visit and I must say there are some very interesting possibilities allowed the player. Plenty of choice and consequence and great bits of witty and sarcastic dialog which feels everyday and down-to-earth (not to mention outright funny).

A small exchange pertaining a hostage/ransom situation:

"It's actually a funny story. Afew days ago a raider walked in and started making demands, claiming that his gang captured one of our nobles. Of course, we didn't take the bastard seriously and killed him. Then it turns out that some distant relative of Antidas is really missing, but it was too late. Now our guards aren't very eager to go there and pay the blood debt."

Your reply:

"And you're sending me there?"
"It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make"
:D

And try this small piece on describing a crossbow:

[early disclaimer - mind that this is a literal transcript :D]

"This? This here is our latest import. All the way from ... goddamit ... always forget the name of that shithole. Anyway, my point is, it's exotic shit. Will cost you triple if you've got the coin. This strange-looking bird has two bows. They are vertical, of course, otherwise, how the hell would you load the second bow? You know what that means? You can shoot twice without reloading. Sweet little deal, eh?"
:laugh:

::

Even better news is that there will be a combat demo sometime soon as a recent thread of theirs indicates :D

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

::

Now, at long last, fully released and available on GoG and Steam with a 10% off launch discount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...