#1 Lee Bowyer [SK]

Lee Bowyer [SK]

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 03:09 PM

I think it's Ethereal or Chryssalid.  
The first alien is very mighty in all terms, but second, really, holds a hooror in his hands! =)))))

#2 Hankosha

Hankosha

Going to buy World of Warcraft soon.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 03:42 PM

Cyberdisk.
I think this topic has already been posted.... :)
The Wise man considers himself Foolish, but the Foolish Man considers himself wise. However, the Wise man still knows what the Foolish man does not.

Playing Kingdom of Loathing and X-box.

#3 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:05 PM

Silacoid

The soldiers just die laughing everytime they see one :)
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#4 Mouse Nightshirt

Mouse Nightshirt

Stressed out Junior Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:12 PM

Brainsuckers in TB... wait, that's Apoc...
I suffer from Arachibutyrophobia, fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

Mouse_Nightshirt - asphixiated in the name of science!

CMDR Richter Weindhoven
Commanding Officer - Alpha Team
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- Old age (Cheers DH!)

#5 Aziraphale

Aziraphale

UFO Beginner for life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:13 AM

Ethereals for Psionics, or Cyberdiscs out of being pure evil. :)  :)  :(  :)  :)  :)  :(  :(  :(  :(  :)  :)  :)
-Aziraphale

#6 Mike

Mike

You have 10 seconds to comply...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:05 AM

Cyberdisk

OR

Ethereal + Louis Lefevre with a rocket launcher in the middle of your squad.  :)

#7 darkvenom

darkvenom

Hell Bent Gurner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:20 AM

Etherals... for sure... rememba this is a UFO post :)
"wE sHaLL eAt uR bRaInz!"
- VeNoM

#8 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:52 AM

For pure brute force, I'd nominate the sectopod. I mean, it's the only unit in 'superhuman' difficulty that cannot be hurt very well with the laser pistol. A close second is the cyberdisc due to its self-destruct and auto-fire abilities that the sectopod lacks -- and it also appears very early too, which makes it a real menace. Luckily, the stun-bomb can wipe multiple sectopods or cyberdiscs with just one shot, so um, nah.

As for the alien crews -- I'd say the one with the better stats wins. Ethereals. They're also the most annoying too. Otherwise all the alien crews are just the same, apart from their stats and the occasional flying ability.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#9 Fox

Fox

A gentleman and a scholar.

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:27 PM

Im with NKF on the sectypod. I hate those mofos.  First time I encountered them on my game I'm playing now, (veteran), I went to a ethereal terror mission with a plasma squad.  Only had one laser pistol as a sidearm for my rocketeer.  Those dudes take like 20 heavy plasma shots before going down.  Ridiculous.
Posted by Jellyfish Green
Blaster Launcher tactics: a brief guide.

Building: Nuke it.
Orchard: Nuke it.
Underground bases: Nuke large rooms first.
UFO: Punch a hole in the bridge, then send in a second bomb to nuke it.

#10 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:18 AM

Cyberdisks scare me. >.<

The have good reactions and they explode when they die.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#11 Shades of Green

Shades of Green

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

Cryssalid (before you have flying armor).
Psi-Sectoids early on (when you don't know the PSI scores of your soldiers yet).

#12 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:44 PM

if there were a lobbieman/muton/ethereal mutant, that would be it.

#13 Gurnard

Gurnard

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

G'day, I'm new around these here parts. I've been browsing around and you all seem like a decent enough bunch. Here's hoping I stick awhile. But onto the topic:

Generally I'd say Ethereals or Sectopods (probably the latter, they just don't die!).
But, depending on alien deployment, Chrysalids can be the terror of terror sites. If a Chrys starts off in a building (or building complex) with access to lots of civilians, it can make the mission a complete write-off. I'm not the sort to bail out of any mission, no matter how dire the situation, but when zombies start swarming from everywhere... It can only end in tears.

#14 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:02 PM

Ki-tat Chung, on Jun 16 2004, 12:44 PM, said:

Wouldn't that be a Tasoth?
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#15 Pumpkinhead

Pumpkinhead

Vengeance: The Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

The Ethereal Commander has the highest victory points, so I'm going to go for them. They wouldn't hold that position if it wasn't justified :power:
"The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO; Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and refracted the light from Venus."
-- K, Men In Black

#16 Puasonen

Puasonen

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

Hobbes, on Jun 16 2004, 02:02 PM, said:

Ki-tat Chung, on Jun 16 2004, 12:44 PM, said:

Wouldn't that be a Tasoth?
Well it's kind of muton/ethereal mutant but it doesn't get even near the armour of the lobsterman.

I think sectoids are the the most dangerous aliens because they make terror sites right from the beginning when you don't have psi-lab. They also have the crazyest terrorunits with absolutely incredible reactions.
Sectoids brings me the worst memories.

#17 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

former bf2 pro... left because of hitreg...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:33 PM

I hate the cyberdisks becuase the sectoids usually start terror sites really early in the game, and the only weapon that really works(and is readily available) is the laser rifle, but they almost always have a terror site before then.  Later on, etherials only becuase they have mind powers.

ps- hey puasonen!
I was this *---* close to being a bf2 pro player, but i left because of my internet and hitreg...  meh.  Just plain meh

#18 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

Actually, cyberdiscs are quite susceptible to high explosives, large rockets, heavy/auto cannon shells (AP or HE), and, curiously enough, proxmity mines (but you must remember to target its upper-left (topmost) corner). All available for purchase the moment you start the game. So you're not left without any options. Come to think of it, incendiary works too if you make use of the slow but effective napalm effect (large units will take x4).

Okay, so explosives aren't particularly terror-site friendly, but it's not going to make much of a difference when the Cyberdisc detonates.

Tank rockets just don't do enough damage to merit wasting them on one cyberdisc, and rifle/pistols bullets need to be used in such volume! Yes, they work, but you need far too many for a quick kill.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#19 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

former bf2 pro... left because of hitreg...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

They don't work from the front though.  You are just as well using a paintball gun
I was this *---* close to being a bf2 pro player, but i left because of my internet and hitreg...  meh.  Just plain meh

#20 Puasonen

Puasonen

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 04:50 PM

If you have time to get laser pistol before the first sectoid terrorsite, you have a chance. Laser pistol works wonders against cyberpills. If you don't have lasers you're in big trouble.

Btw NKF, I like to use a lot of HE in terrorsites too, if you really worry about the civilians more than your own soldiers, you end up dead meat  :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users