Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

But you're Captain. You already outrank everyone else! wink.png

Yup, you have it backwards SV... Think Star Trek, Captain outranks Commander (Navy Rules) so we should be saluting you!

Now we should see 4 colony missions one by one. With so many resources (mostly alloys) you will be swimming in cash.

My advice - load game off camera lunch practice mission on one of the colonies. Remember the layout so you can on first turn unleash devastating blow with DPLs on the main center.

Practice?? Nonsense!! You should know how I do these LP's by now ;)

I finished recording it a few hours ago and I'll have it posted here before too long. It was an interesting fight :)

I can't help but think you need to practice with flares some more. The idea is to piggy back them so that as you reach one, you can pick it up and toss it over the further one. That mission was like a free-for-all with flares flying all over the place randomly. The mission may have went easier if you had thrown the flares in areas that needed exploring yet. sarcastic.gif

Tanks do take damage from Tentaculat attacks, but the attack has to make it past armor first. And tanks can't get zombified either so you are pretty safe using them as bait. Glad to see you actually employed their use, looks like they came in handy already. Dunno why you gave up on it near the end of the artefact site though, it was just sitting there idle when it could have blocked the door to keep the Tentaculat from reaching your men. Oh well. unsure.png

Don't give up on DPL soldiers either, especially on artefact sites and alien colonies. If you have them, use them. There is a little bit of strategy that goes along with DPL soldiers, especially inside. If you are split up into 2 groups, make sure there's a DPL guy assigned to each one. Have them follow behind your squad by a few tiles when they aren't needed. That way, if they need to use a bomb it'll mean less waypoints and fewer obstacles to get around (doors and lifts are notorious). happy.png

Otherwise, looks like you are doing pretty good Neptune! :)

- Zombie

But you're Captain. You already outrank everyone else! wink.png

- NKF

WOT?! I was absolutely certain Commander was a higher rank!!?!!!?!?!?! https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/shrug.gif

Well, that changes things a bit... GIVE ME 50, MAGGOTS! Erm, I'll leave this to the drillmaster.

Still in the middle of watching this, but I had to come back in for a very brief comment as it relates to an earlier discussion we had ages ago: Around 16 minutes in, RedArmySurplus goes berserk and starts firing x9 times with his Sonic Cannon.

RedArmySurplus had 57 TUs. At 28 TUs per snap, that means he would have needed 252 TUs to fire all 9 shots. Since he also turned a few times, he must have got the full 255 TUs. A most excellent example of this in action. ;)

Edit:

Now that I've seen it, I do have one thing to say: Go out and grab up some of those DPLs on the ground. You won't get a chance to pick them up to bring with you if you end up wiping out all the aliens.

Considering the tattered state of the team, if you get to the next part and you're absolutely sure you can't tackle it - either leave and try the mission again after regrouping, or see if you can find the synomium device, DPL it and then leave. You already have a Lobsterman commander so you don't have to beat the second part the hard way.

The synomium device area has an Ion Beam Accelerator storage area above it. The purple sphere variety of IBAs. They are laid out almost like a theatre stage. There are some Zrbite crystals stored in a few of the IBAs that you can smash and grab on the way out. If you go to the level just underneath this room, you'll find an opening in the middle of the area, The synomium device is just down it. It's perfect for tossing a pulser down or angling a DPL right into it to complete the mission.

For future reference on colonies, like Silencer said, blast the central area right away, either from the top or the side of the upper level and send a couple of DPLs into the upper level balconies, and maybe a few into the lift area for good measure. That wipes out most of the nastier foes.

- NKF

Still in the middle of watching this, but I had to come back in for a very brief comment as it relates to an earlier discussion we had ages ago: Around 16 minutes in, RedArmySurplus goes berserk and starts firing x9 times with his Sonic Cannon.

RedArmySurplus had 57 TUs. At 28 TUs per snap, that means he would have needed 252 TUs to fire all 9 shots. Since he also turned a few times, he must have got the full 255 TUs. A most excellent example of this in action. wink.png

Edit:

Now that I've seen it, I do have one thing to say: Go out and grab up some of those DPLs on the ground. You won't get a chance to pick them up to bring with you if you end up wiping out all the aliens.

Yeah, that RedArmy berserk was a bit nuts. He's got some fast trigger fingers

I've finished the full Base mission so I won't spoil anything, but ammo is going to be a big issue. There's plenty of DPL's around, but that's about it unsure.png

Well, my first thought was that reshuffling the equipment before starting the second part would have helped heaps. wink.png Thermal tazers would've been handy to have as well.

But I like think this is a good learning experience for later colonies.

- NKF

That synonium destruction ask for serious WTF DID YOU DO THERE!!!

Yeah, my thinking at the time was "Let's blow this thing and go home" (sorry, couldn't resist ;) ) But I was planning on immediately getting out of there after it blew, leaving the lobsters. But I started thinking I may be down to the last few aliens, so maybe I should go ahead and take them out. I blame wandering around the endless base forever for my lack of sense there.

Also you didn't take the Zrbite!.

Make that mistake #2... I was thinking the whole time "blow the device, grab the zrbite, then go. When I finally made it to the purple thingy room I completely forgot about it. :S

Ignoring the - ah - occasional miscalculation, the fact you were able to destroy and walk away from the colony is a great outcome. It could have gone a whole lot worse considering there were so many things stacked against you, from your low ammo supply, your lack of familiarity with the layout, and the fact there were tentaculats still roaming around.

The synonium device room is way easier to handle if you just toss a grenade or DPL in from the hole immediately above the device. If you needed any of the commanders in it, you could also blow away the rails and fire a shok bomb into the room.

With colonies, it's often best to just do a hit and run on the second part if your team is in poor condition and not worry too much about abandoning the gear. Since you are using a v2+ copy of the game and you beat the first part of the colony by wiping out all the enemies, you'll get to keep all the gear you won from that part of the mission.

That actually leads me to a nifty trick you can do with the ship missions on the harder difficulty levels. If you aced the first part with no losses and you're feeling a bit lazy, you can just abort the second half and let the negative and positive score cancel out each other.

Finally a few small matters:

You don't need to move ammo into the hand when you are planning to reload a weapon but don't have the TUs to do so. Just leave it where it is and load it directly on the next turn. It costs 15 TUs to load regardless of where the ammo is stored. DPL users can take advantage of this by dropping all their ammo at their feet and only loading them when they want to fire. This keeps them safe in the event of mind control.

There were many occasions throughout the colony assault where you tried to shoot at an enemy from a few paces away with no success. If you have the spare TUs, walk right up to it before shooting. It's not as effective doing this with a sonic cannon compared to a melee weapon, but it does help conserve ammo as you're not likely to miss from 1 tile away. wink.png

- NKF

Let's do it all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233VKDAAJZo

The synonium device room is way easier to handle if you just toss a grenade or DPL in from the hole immediately above the device. If you needed any of the commanders in it, you could also blow away the rails and fire a shok bomb into the room.

With colonies, it's often best to just do a hit and run on the second part if your team is in poor condition and not worry too much about abandoning the gear. Since you are using a v2+ copy of the game and you beat the first part of the colony by wiping out all the enemies, you'll get to keep all the gear you won from that part of the mission.

I was wondering whether I would get the gear from the top or not, that is very nice to know.