A Quick Visual

I was thinking about that picture of the alien ship approaching Earth. I wonder if that is the end game..instead of a base on Mars, the aliens base is the mothership...which could mean the game has a finite timespan. Xcom better be prepared to intercept the mothership before it reaches Earth or Game Over. How fast the mothership arrives is part of the difficulty.

If that is the case and Xcom can successfully attack the mothership, instead of outright destroying it, it is sent out-of-control since there is no leadership//hive-mind to control it. It plummets to the Earth, crashing into one of the oceans and causing a massive global disaster. Which takes the survivors of humanity 40-50 years to recover, meanwhile, the surviving sectoids have been slowly genetically modifying themselves for their new environment and anything they can get to rebuild an army to continue the fight...

• 2 weeks later...

Preview by Joystiq with actually new stuff!

Including a shot of the interception mechanic and most awesomely, a peek of the mean ass Firestorm.

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/07/xcominterception02_530x298.jpg

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/07/xcomfirestorm_599x337.jpg

That gorgeous fighter craft looks a million times better than the exceedingly conservative UFO Defense design. clapping.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speculation runs rampant among fans at the 2K Games forums regarding what the super-duper special bonus will be for pre-ordering the digital version of the game.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/2/2d/Vigilant_Pin.png/555px-Vigilant_Pin.png

A small assortment of Team Fortress 2 stuff is very unlikely to be it, but it's fun to look at anyway. ;)

::

This may well fall under the 'and more' bit of the description of what's in the physical Special Edition.

"Digital bonus items including multi-monitor desktops, soundtrack, and more"

So how many editions are there that you have to buy to get everything? Because that's my worry now.

I don't like different exclusives being in different versions so you can't collect everything unless you rob a bank - Star Trek Online did that and it was very annoying.

You also remember Mass Effect 2? :D

For now you have 3 versions official. Standard box, PC Exclusive SE and Digital version. Digital Deluxe version I guess is in the works but you know Valve is always eager to add something special to their lovely child TF2 specially if game has a big renown or comeback.

The truth of the matter is that,in the vast majority of the cases, early adopters _always_ get the short end of the stick. "Day after" patches, gradual game balance fixes, etc. are an unfortunate given these days _and_ the game will also see a noticeable drop in price in the following months.

Therefore, the right package to get is really the, quite probable, Game Of The Year Edition, which is the game version that most represents how it should have been released Day 1 (all patched up by that point, all the goodies and extras inside, DLCs, added multiplayer maps, etc.).

I'll start with Classic Ironman with some hidden information like alien HP, to bring it a bit closer to the original. With any luck I'll be able to suck up each and every potential disaster of that first playthrough. But that playthrough will be the invaluable, being the one in which you're as clueless as XCOM is before the alien invasion. Encountering every new and redone alien species, truly discovering new technologies, unveiling the alien plans and experiencing most everything for the first time will be priceless. It's a feeling I've forgotten since I first played UFO and TFTD over a decade ago.

I remember little about my first ever UFO playthrough, which I carried out when I was pretty young, 12 or so. I had my soldiers' stats maxed at 255 (I was a big cheater back then) via editor, so I guess it was mostly a breeze. Then I had two Commanders, one named after myself and another called Emile Pacheux, and I recall blowing up the Alien Brain in Cydonia with two synchronized grenades from them. Oh, the memories.

What they could also do further down the line is provide a multiplayer mode for us all to save the Earth together on a common server. Each commander with his own base and squads.

Come to think of it they could make that now, as the pre-order bonus for the digital version, and let single-player unlock on the release date. tongue.png