Finally back!

Matri

Finally back online, guys!

Nearly two months ago, my PC started dying. In the most spastic way, in fact. A few minutes after startup, it Blue Screens. Attempting a restart at that point Blue Screens immediately halfway through bootup.

So I lugged the thing to the nearest service center and they ran their usual battery of hardware tests (conveniently located on a separate ROM, something nearly all Dells posses), which turned up nothing. Decided to leave it with them while they figured it out.

The next day, I got the call: My video card upped and died. Mind you, this wasn't unexpected. It's a GeForce 7950 GT2, came with the system and is nearly 5 years old, just like the system. I already figured the card wasn't doing too well. It runs hot, around 80 degrees C when idle, and hits 100 when I run Mass Effect 2 or Borderlands. And that was best-case. About a year ago, it began locking up whenever I started up Ghostbusters or Company Of Heroes. And it has never been able to handle anti-aliasing of any form on any resolution whatsoever.

So I wasn't really surprised. What did come as a (pleasant) surprise though, was that I had always wanted to upgrade the card, and now I have a solid reason. So, for the next month & a half they kept bouncing around card suggestions and then telling me a day later that they couldn't get the card I selected.

And last week, I finally cornered them on an ASUS GeForce 570 GTX.

So I'm finally back. Took two months to fix, but got an upgrade out of it. The thing developed some new quirks now, but I think I can learn to live with it. Had to disable the card's sound device, it was seriously messing up the installed Sound Blaster (the only HDMI device is the TV, and I don't have exclusive claim to it).

All in all, I'm happy. Even happier to be back, though.

Welcome back, Matri! :)

Hardware woes are a definite pain in the neck, especially when more than one thing is affected and the source is not so easy to pinpoint.

::

With a new graphics card yanking at the chains, though, there's some "testing" you need to urgently get to isn't there?... :)