Multi Stage-Missions

Faskalia

Hi out there.

I recently bought Ufo-Gold and started playing again. (I used to own the first release, but cds got scratched. Still own the instruction though)

I even managed to reseacrh the Leviathan, as well as Mc-tech and even L'teth.

Although the research tree seemed a bit wiered i managed it, by capturing tons of aliens alive (Thermo Tazer is great :)).

But i never managed to win an artifact site or an alien-colony by killing all aliens.

Do I have to retreat after destroying the shiny globe, with the nice halos?

Or is it possible to win by normal means (killing those aliens)?

I just dont like the idea, that i have to leave tons of equippment behind.

Oh...another one.

Neo-Japan stoped funding me. So i loaded (yes i am lame). And sent i Triton to Japan. Found 1 Colony and wiped it out before the month ended. By the end of the month nothing changed, i lost 1.25 Million as well as Neo-Japan. Is there a way to prevent Neo-Japan from cooperatin with the aliens (got 5 days left till month ends)

I read myself through the whole tftd forum, but I didn't found answers to my questions. If i missed them, I'll be deeply sorry.

Looking forward to your answers (especially NFK's ones, he seems to be the UFO Demi-God)

Faskalia, reborn Ufo and Tftd fan

Re: Colonies

Yes, you can win the mission by killing all the aliens. The challenge is finding the aliens, as you can sometimes miss a lot of them on the first sweep. You only get to keep the equipment on the second level though, and miss out on all the nifty stuff like the pulse wave torpedoes from the first level (unless you stuffed your pockets with the torpedoes before you ended the first level, that is :) )

As for shooting the synonium device and running - that's the method that the game prefers, but it's not necessarily ours. You do get to keep anything on the exit pads, which is some consolation. So if you cannot find that last few aliens, gather everything you can and head back to the lifts. Note, you might actually be able to harvest some zrbite before you leave, but I have yet to figure out how to do this without blowing up the device that they're in. You can tell where they are if you look at your overhead map.

Re: Defecting countries

Sometimes there's no way to save a country even if you manage to produce a huge amount of points in the area. And once they're gone, they're gone for good. It just happens. Don't worry though, the loss of a country is not the end of the game. At least, not yet.

I hate to say it, losing a country does have a few advantages. For one, it's going to urge you on to protect the rest of the remaining countries better. Another huge advantage is that the aliens are a bit stupid in some ways. They'll merrily infiltrate a country that's already been infiltrated. Which also means you need not go too much out of your way to take on the mass invasion fleets that go there. I'd also say that the bases that often appear in a newly defected country are a valuable resource for supply ships, but seeing as colonies appear so frequently in TFTD as it is, it's not too much of an advantage. :)

- NKF

Well recovering the zrbite is quite simple:

Stun one of you own soldiers und throw him onto the devise, containing zrbite.

He can pick it but make shure that he is wearing mag. ion armor, or you might get stuck in the propulsion system.

thanks for the quick response.

I found XCOM util and installed it.

B) It's pretty cool (especially the random floor plans) but i have not found any visibility option yet. How do i activate it. And what about autocombat? The readme say, that i gotta save my game in the last slot and name it "AutoCombat" and then i sould abord :)? Doesn't giving up mean that I loose, does it? I mean, what do I have to do, after aboarding combat???

Edit:

Okay i found the vis command, but i cannot make it work.

I am running xcomutil under windows xp, with the help of parameters.

So I run the file as follows: "C:\mps\tftd\xcomutil.exe game_4"

game 4 is a battlescape save. When runnig xcomutil with this parameter is tells me about my bases and the i am currently fighting 12 Lobby, of whom two are wounded.

When adding vis to the parameter in either of the following two ways nothing changes, when loading my game_4

"C:\mps\tftd\xcomutil.exe game_4 vis"

"C:\mps\tftd\xcomutil.exe game_4 -vis"

So what do i have to do, to make the whole map visible

Anything that makes changes to the savegame files must incude the WRT command at the end (WRiTe, see?).

So to make your VIS command actually work, you have to add WRT on the end. Like so:

C:\whatever\xcomutil game_4 vis wrt

Think of adding WRT as the removal of the utiity's safety catch. :)

- NKF

P. S: Check the documentation. It's huge, but it does having interesting bits in it.

Thanks alot, Xcom util works now properly.

Did anyone notice the following glitch, when using the fodder starter from xcomutil:

Terror Mission: Harbor: Aliens blow up barrel->Game freezes

Terror Mission: Harbor: Xcom blows up barrel->Game freezes

This does not occour, when using the normal Tftd-gold as well as the xcom2fix.

And I can reproduce it anytime, cause it happens all the time, when blowing up a barell.

• 2 months later...

For colonies there have a been a few instances where after blowing the device and grabbing all the stuff I could get, I find a tentaculite hovering up in some corner. And he doesn't attack.........cause he appears to be stuck. Think there might be bug in like the spawn points of the aliens. So when in doubt, Disruptor Pulse Launch the place.

I always go after the device, much more fun and realistic

BTW don't you think Disruptor Pulse Launcher is a much cooler name than Blaster Launcher?

I don't know. Blaster launcher sounds like one of these gimmicky toys that toy companies make for young children that like to have words like 'BLAST' in their descriptions or titles (mostly in TV commercials). Like The Diminuitive BULK's Liquid Goo Blaster™! Blast away your opponents with their Solar Scorching Lasers™ with your Super Sonic Noise Attack Blasters™ that makes real weapon blasting sounds! Blast the heroic general infantry joes with the jello cannon! Argh! The things adults subject the younger generation to really mind boggles.

The Disrupter Pulse Launcher on the other hand... I keep getting the image of batteries for some reason.

Neither weapon would be suitable on their opposing terrain. The blaster launcher wouldn't work underwater. Prolonged exposure to salt water would could it to disintegrate. The disrupter pulse launcher is just a glorified club on land. Except, as has been indicated, in those cases where something nasty in shallow pools appear.

- NKF