TFTD Multiplayer Story

Grossbeer

Got an "Add-to-dictionary" option? Do wish these folks designing these lexicons would make a combined US/English dictionary for us modern interchangeable folk.

Two short and sweet missions. Definitely hoping for a couple more of these if we're going up against lobstermen.

I'm not overly keen on meeting the Bio-Drones. We're playing on superhuman, and they will have well over 100+ accurate snapshots with their uber-powerful weapons, so it's not going to be pretty.

- NKF

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we'll soon have torp launchers dude, no worries lol

And I don't want a combined US/English dictionary. I'd like my dictionary to contain correct spellings only. American's can't spell for toffee... They call it English right? In doing so they are admitting to mis-spelling hundreds of words.

As Al Murray once said, it's Grey with an E, not an A. But then if they can't spell the word coloUr right then they're hardly going to get the specifics are they :laugh:

Torpedoes don't work on land though, the natural habitat of the Biodrone.

Growing up on mostly English English with exposure to American English on TV, I too have my opinions on Americanised spelling (trivial ones at best, like the inconsistent O-ing of OU-'s.) - but we can't but help but like the languages we were brought up on. :laugh:

- NKF

Depending on your browser, odds are you can just download and install a new dictionary. I'm using an Australian one in Firefox on one of my machines, though I haven't bothered to change this computer yet. Though I'm not actually aware what the difference between that and English English is. Technically Australia/New Zealand are under British rule anyway, so I would expect the language to be the same (putting aside the matter of accent, which has nothing to do with spelling).

Particle Disturbance Sensors, where art thou?

Here I was thinking of taking on a cruisey mission like the last couple or now that my GC-Phosphor rounds had arrived, I was half hoping for an island resort terror site.

Also I think I should've sold off a few more Sonic Cannons to make room to spawn more ammo. Must've got six or so empty cannons lying on the ground.

- NKF

I thought I'd already initiated all sell-able research projects? :oh:

Just as well I thought to hand out all our spare armour suits, yes? :laugh: Speaking of which, I'm getting the impression you're forgetting that armour can be removed from units - if you want a suit on a specific trooper, steal it from another. They aren't like craft weapons (which can only be "swapped").

That extra terrorist was probably picked up right back when we got the first one. He was sitting there when I completed the initial Deep One project.

I suspect your lack of cannon clips has nothing to do with items limits and everything to do with me using them all. :P

I don't get what you mean about the bio-drones, though - if anything, the lack of fog will lull you into a false sense of security, thinking you're seeing into an area when in fact your vision doesn't extend that far. Thankfully, dark as they can appear, bases missions are just bright enough to avoid the night-mission ruleset (in both UFO and TFTD).

Depending on how much equipment you've sold, it's very likely that the object table will've been flooded - some aliens are likely unarmed. The higher an alien's rank, the further down it'll be in the unit table and the less likely it'll've been assigned a weapon. On a similar basis the spawn nodes are probably swamped too (superhuman + our excess troopers = tons of units), so the bottleneck likely won't be completely effective... though any aliens you see south of the hangars are therefore less likely to be armed. It's a shame the MC Reader and Shok Launcher projects aren't complete, as this'd otherwise be a good opportunity for Commander capture...

No problem with the armour, I was just wanting a ground-pounder for myself. :laugh: In either case, everyone's already wearing Mag Ion Armour with a few remaining ones wearing Plastic Aqua ARmour. There was otherwise no time to reassign armour in this case.

There was plenty of sonic cannon rounds back home, over 30 rounds. I suspect it was some of the other expendables that may have run out (tank, dye grenade, etc?) . With so many aquanauts on hand, the only thing I could do was either spread the ammo very thin and work with 1 clip per aquanaut, or grab some of the blasta rifles and sonic pistols to fill some gaps.

As for the bio-drones - I'm banking on the fact they burn the ground when the AI moves them. Since the map doesn't have the fog hiding this, I'll be able to spot the burn trails on the ground.

- NKF

There was plenty of sonic cannon rounds back home, over 30 rounds. I suspect it was some of the other expendables that may have run out (tank, dye grenade, etc?).

There must be some mistake; I barely had enough to arm the squad in my turn, and cannon ammo was the only consumable I made use of in my mission (I considered using a pulsar at one point, but ran out of TUs so it went back on the belt next turn... also depends on how you view the rookies, I suppose). I'm also doubting I collected enough to make up for things. :oh:

As for the bio-drones - I'm banking on the fact they burn the ground when the AI moves them. Since the map doesn't have the fog hiding this, I'll be able to spot the burn trails on the ground.

Ah, clever - I wouldn't've thought to look for that. :laugh:

So far so, good. Five men down (out of about 30) and they've lost about 12. However it's 1am, there's work tomorrow and I've nearly shaken off my cold. I'll put up the unedited text log for the first 14 turns now. Screenshots for the rest of the mission tomorrow night.

Big thing I (re)discovered in TFTD is that TFTD base walls are fragile. First pulser and all my cover was blown - literally. See the affair with the first Bio-Drone for specifics.

Otherwise main worry at the moment is that lone Bio-Drone that's probably still hanging out near the airlock. No other burn marks on the map so I'm pretty certain that's the last one. Hopefully! Not sure about the Lobstermen.

- NKF

Argh, I've got a scheduled power outage that's going all the way through to 3AM in the morning (ye gods, all my alarm clocks and audio/video equipment will need to be reset). My laptop battery won't hold out so I'll have to call it to a close for another night.

Would've probably finished by now, but I lost too much time uploading the screenshots for the first part since the forum only seems to let me upload one item at a time.

Only bad things that have happened so far are a minor injury, the loss of the pile of stuff around the airlock (blasted Bio-Drone (s) ) and two Aquanauts have been knocked unconscious. No deaths. The other side is still faring a lot worse than ours!

- NKF

Mainly glad we've got the numbers. I'll probably have a word to say about the base design after this!

Eh? No deaths? There were a few yesterday... Did they get better lol

No deaths from resuming, but the death toll still sits at 5 aquanauts. With 2 temporarily out of the action until I get a chance to revive them. I don't have many medikits on hand but I think I should make the effort to find one and get one of them revived. The assault team can always use an extra hand.

Coincidentally, there's quite a lot of reaction fire going on at the moment. The best ones are obviously from the high reaction chaps, but we're also seeing some good efforts from those with low to average reactions.

My cold's moved down to my chest so I'm stuck at home with some rest time. I'll see if I can finish this off earlier so that I can get an early night's rest tonight.

- NKF

Bomb Bloke: Now I can confidently say that we're out of Sonic Cannon rounds. With the Lobsterman mostly armed with Thermal Shok launchers, we only managed to recover 5 unused clips and they're already on the Triton. Blasta Rifles for everyone!

Now, about the base. I think we need to rethink how the bases are designed. The single chokepoint base with masses of module on one end, and a chokepoint separating the hangars on the other other works well in UFO, but TFTD foils it a little and lets the aliens further into the base at the very start.

Also the subpens - those torpedo racks are a double edged sword. The cover is nice, but it's also explosive. Perhaps we should think about north/south access only, and not east/west?

Redesigning the main base will be tough since it has a bit of everything, but it's certainly something to think about for the expanded bases.

Finally: We need a contingency plan in case another base attack occurs. Base 2 needs a Triton and a well armed crew in case HQ is wiped out.

- NKF

Thanks for a great piece of role playing, NKF! Reads like a novel, and one full of suspense! Considering this was a Lobstermen attack with biodrones, X-COM got off lightly, thanks to your great leadership.

Thermal launchers were one of my favourite weapons against Lobstermen, also a life saviour in many cases of Tentaculat attack where a soldier shot from point-blank. Even if Tentaculat didn't go down, the soldier did and that saved his life. You guys need to research those!

EDIT: could you guys just make these pics a bit bigger, please?

Good work dude! 28 aliens to 8 Commies is a good result for such a horrible mission :laugh: Now I guess it's down to me to put things back togetehr a little :oh: I'll see what we can sell and maybe start expanding the second base a little. Will check up on research and manufacture 2 to see what our boys are doing. In my previous missions I've pretty much left the geoscape to its own devices but this time I don't think I have that luxury lol.

Going to get right on it now so should have a post up by this afternoon!

Some of the little mini stories I threw in were actually what I was thinking of at the time I was playing. 'Miguel's Plan' for example came about after I'd set up the live lobsterman pile and I noticed he was still carrying a live pulser. I didn't want to bother stuffing the containment with useless captures, so it all came together after that. :laugh: But I think we all do that when playing the X-COM games. Since there's no narrative, we either consciously or unconsciously start to supply our own and it just develops from there.

Anyhow, I've finished uploading all the screenshots. Nearly missed the second lot! Also fixed a few minor text mistakes.

Sorry the screens are rather small, but that's because Dosbox is saving them at their native resolution.

For my next turn I probably should run the screenshots through a batch resize operation in irfanview. Doubling the pixel size of a limited palette PNG file should see no file size increase. In fact, if I also run them through PNGOUT at the same time, that'll drop the sizes a bit more too.

- NKF

Well I'm glad 3:1 is a good ratio as I just got massacred lol

If you dowloaded the save BB you'll know what the next mission is as it literally occurred the very second I loaded the file up!

So I did absolutely nothing in the base I'm afraid as we had to leave immediately. Just reorganised the crew and cargo slightly. Will have a post up after I eat some lunch :laugh: