TFTD Multiplayer Story

Grossbeer

I HATE Steam. They make new games completely unplayable with the stupid account requirements so I won't be paying them a penny. Will buy a big box copy in the future but until then a free download will do. Found one but the old lappy isn't recognising my flash drive so I'm trying to update drivers but I have no way to transfer data... Catch 22 I'm afraid! Burning a DVD now with a few drivers and TFTD so I can at least get it installed but I won't be able to send anything back over unless the drivers work ;)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mate, you won't be breaking forum rules as long as you're linking to sales. I think it's just when you link to illegal downloads/torrents etc. that you'll get a bashing lol But regarding Steam I stand my ground. I'm not paying them a penny, for anything, ever...

Besides while Steam might be a good way to run old games on new computers I've just specifically invested in a Win98 lappy to play the originals on ;) So I WILL be buying a big box TFTD, never owned one before but had it on floppy once upon a time...

Don't have the

@ veteran

nice mission indeed! 3:4 is a good ratio. we are playing superhuman iron man after all ^^

one thing tho:

its no big deal but: we agreed to play 1 geoscape + 1 mission. u did some geoscape stuff after your mission too that was not the plan i had in mind. playing more geoscape would cut the budget of the next commander. but as i said its no big deal really. Just for the next round: save just after the mission iin geoscape.

u can easily upload on rapidshare. u dont need an account or anything and there is no dl wait time as the game_1 is extremely small.

greez

Ok try this - Game1.zip

And thanks I was seriously expecting a total wipeout after the first fireteam died. Then when I lost the tank... Well the reason I started looting corpses is because I didn't think Astra or Martin would make it lol.

Regarding the bit I did after it's not taken any time as I did it immediately (you'll see in that savegame the Triton is only just leaving the crash site) BUT I do understand what you mean about money so in the future I won't do anything after the mission and will instead inform the next commander of what needs replacing like the tank and troops etc.

For what it's worth I think we should look to invest quite heavily in the garrison we keep at base, the reason NKF and I had such tough missions is that we weren't able to fly with full complements and that makes it far more likely that we'll run out of operatives before they run out of aliens! I'm lucky that 2 toids died in the crash or I would never have made it!

On a side note I don't think I've EVER continued playing after losing a HWP on EU or TFTD. So this was a first for me lol It's actually a lot more fun this way plus it ups the challenge and realism. So it seems I like Ironman ;)

heheh yeah the looting is always a good idea. tho i did lose the triton that way once ^^. i dragged a stunned deep one into the triton and well it woke up and murdered the 'pilot' ^^

yep we need more garrison troops or we wont have a full triton EVER

in iron man mode i always have:

30 aqanauts at each Triton base.

50 when MC llabs are up and running. i always have 20 aquanauts at MC training, leaving them out of combat for a month.

30 seems a healthy garrison, at least that was my experience. its a little more than 2 full tritons.

regarding tanks... i rarely buy tanks they are just too expensive and 4 cannonfodder aquanauts are more use imo. I only take tanks to terror missions (early ones) because deep ones do nearly no dmg to it, as do bio drones.

greez

Rocket tanks (aqua jet) are great for laying the smack down. They move fast, don't have to waste time reloading, and can carry a decent amount of high explosive rounds. Cannon tanks actually have to hit their targets in order to achieve anything, and simply can't take down a group of aliens in a single shot.

I'm quite fond of the G. Cannon/Coelacanth partly because you don't have to worry about swapping them out for land missions. Then again I bought it mainly as a scout rather than as a fighter so even an aqua-jet would've worked fine.

Also one reason why I like to get one early over more aquanauts is that it doesn't attract reaction fire as easily as rookie aquanauts. The Coelacanth chassis in general doesn't seem to attract reaction fire as easily as the Displacers or any of the tanks in UFO. Which is why I find they make excellent scouts for the early game where your troops are still cannon fodder. I can't say I'm 100% certain on that, but it is a common observation I've had. I can't really explain it as it goes contrary to my understandings of the formulas about reactions and TUs. Might be a height thing.

P. S: If there are any more sonic pistols gathered up over the next missions, can we keep all the ammo and keep at least one or two of the guns if you need to sell tech to raise cash? I'd like to include some in the equipment lineup eventually. The ammo's quite efficient on zrbite to manufacture, but I'd like to avoid spending any zrbite on manufacturing the ammo while it can still be gathered.

- NKF

What are we going to do about weaponry advances? We already have advances in Gauss and a few pistols manufactured but what's next? Should we equip everyone with pistols then go straight for sonic cannons? should we research gauss further and then give everyone that tech? Should we now abandon gauss altogether and start work on sonic weapons?

I think I may have set research going on the sonic nades in my turn but I can't remember... If I haven't and noone else had before me then we should do it asap. Further to that we need armour asap too but am I right in thinking we need a deepone corpse for that?

Bagsy the first shipping route mission by the way, I love those things ;)

If it is true that there is 1 terror per month then who ever will play this save should have it. I haven't quite caught the date on geo, but I think it is somewhere near the end of month. And yes -> deep one corpse = aqua plastics = armor.

I for myself end the gauss tech end at rifles then by that time I should have deep one. In our case I would go for blasta rifles then armor + medkits (if we don't have them).

We will probably argue about blasta vs sonic pistols due to larger clip and better RoF but you know our aquanauts arent sharpshooters yet and that extra accuracy will help than 5 more rounds. I know it is just 5% in snap shot but the aim shot is huge improvement and to reduce reaction fire you better fire with soldiers way behind the spotter.

I was figuring we should churn gauss tech through until we get the craft cannons. With that done, we could spam workshops and mass produce the things. With an income independent of missions/governments, it'd be pretty hard for us to lose. This is assuming we can't get armour research under way, in which case we should start spamming out some of that in conjunction with medkits.

Sonic weapons would be nice to have, but we may not be able to keep up with the supply of ammo at this stage. Unlike UFO, where the lasers are always available to fight with, here we have to keep stocking up on ammo throughout the entire game.

We do indeed need a dead deep one to progress in armour research. We'll need a live one too, sooner or later. The sooner we can get them the better, because they become a bit scarce as the campaign progresses. I believe we need to have a dead deep one in the stocks in order to start plastic research too. We'll also need calcinite and gillmen corpses eventually.

yep the main objective in the first terror mission is getting one dead deep one and possibly 2 alive ones. as Bomb bloke said, later in the game we wont get any gill man terrors anymore so we should get em as early as possible.

i vote for sonic blaster rifels and ammo first. then we can go for craft cannon for cash. sooner or later the aliens will only use sonic cannons, so we shouldnt sell any blaster rifles or their ammo. im not really fond of pistols in tftd as even gillmen survive a gauss hit from a pistol. for that matter i dont use gauss a lot anyways, rifle or pistol alike. sonics are a lil mor effective but as silencer said: our troops are sucky shots, they will need every acc bonus from weapons they can get. Sonic rifles are the best coice when not facing lobstermen or perhaps tasoth.

Autoshot is a fine thing in close combat but for the tougher aliens(tasoth lobster and them terrorists) gauss rifle isnt that effective. if we are that close we know all 3 autos hit, we better drill the alien (if we got em)

Crazy Photon ure up for the next round? if not then silencer_pl could take the next command

greez

Well I will try to the current save tomorrow just for warm up. If crazy photon wont post anything till late saturday I can post my adventure if you agree. If he shows then I will of course continue from his point.

For the gauss cannon income I think that the time + cost of going to gauss cannon + workshop is less rewarding as you must first pay for the worskhop + you miss that extra time for other important research. I think that our main source of income should be Sonic Cannons, corpses and extra navigation, ion accelerators and other useless stuff. In the end I don't think we will have like max 4 Sonic Cannons for team because of that 2 vs 3 shots (yeah I don't believe we will have proper snipers for pistols ;) )

Sounds fair enough Silencer, don't treat it as a warm-up though as you can't be allowed to play through it twice. I reckon that's probably fair though, we want to try and get one mission a day done if possible anyway ;) Like you say, feel free to take it on but take it seriously. No quitting, no loading, no messing about lol

If CP comes back then he can do it himself but if not he can take the next one and you can post up your mission. Need to see if the other commanders agree but there's no harm in you playing it, just wait for confirmation from the others before posting it up is my advice ;)

As regards weapons I'm easy, the sonic rifle might be a nice goal as it won't be long before we have a decent number of them I'm sure. We need to think about researching the shok launcher in order to guarantee we get some live deep ones though as I will not put the troops in a position where they have to go HTH for stunning purposes.

With Gauss tech, I vote we stop it where it is or at least at the Gauss rifle and concentrate on other tech. The Gauss Cannon assembly line is going to need a fair amount of capital to set up, and we don't have that luxury yet. Better concentrate on the techs with more immediate uses.

Gauss certainly isn't the best tech around, but even the few Gauss pistols we've got at the moment are vastly better than the Jet Harpoons, and will last us through the weak targets. What I'd really like to see us get our hands on soon-ish is the Sonic Pulser. It's the great combat equaliser.

Not too fussed about going for the Sonic Blasta rifle or Sonic pistol first - we'll need both to get the Oscillators. I just want the ammo saved. ;)

- NKF

Sounds good, we'll expect an update tomorrow the silencer! Don't rush it though eh lol

Just in case any of the other commanders are interested in the Avatar idea I thought I'd outline the rules I'm going to use for mine. I used a rookie to create him, one of the new troops that I myself had personally recruited. I'll do the same in future wherever possible but where there is not enough time between loading the game and my combat mission for a new recruit to arrive I'll use a low rank soldier for representation. If by some chance I manage to survive my mission I'd then not want that character to be used again until my mission so I'll swap him on the skyranger for another trooper. If of course he's needed to complete a full complement of troopers of course he'll come along for the ride. But please try not to kill him lol

I think it adds an element of fun to the storytelling by having our likenesses take part in the action. When we have a few spare personnel at base I'd suggest naming one rookie for each of us and swapping them out each mission. But that's just me, I'll have my own bloke whether you guys do or not ;)

At least make them rear admiral candidates. ;) I' think I'll let avatars belonging to other players lead the base garrison during my turns. But this shouldn't be a problem too long as this is the main base. We'll have plenty of aquanauts to choose from in time.

Agreed on appointing your avatar from fresh recruits. I don't think it would sit well with others to rename the best aquanaut on the team as your own after they've built up a reputation in past battles!

Just to change the subject: Since we're down by one sub pen, are we going to replace it later on or are we going to stick with just two sub pens? I often use single interception craft at bases in my games so I'm happy to work with it, but wonder what everyone else wants to do about it?

- NKF

Grossbeer mentioned that he intended to move all the sub pens up the top of the base, then bottleneck the area using the access lift. He destroyed one of the starting pens as part of this plan. We will need another pen sooner or later, as eventually we'll be building new subs.

NKF is right though that soon enough we'll be opening up new bases. As long as this is the only one we have then I agree 1 Barracuda will not be enough for very much longer but if we manage to set up another base or improve our craft soon enough we may be able to live with it.

I'd suggest we build the 3rd pen for now and stick a second Barracuda in there. Once we have better craft (or even better, combat landers) we can replace the pen with training facilities to keep our MC strengths up. Just a thought ;)

Silencer I just read the new post. Why on earth did you ignore 2 large USOs? You could have at least followed them in case they landed and why not try to intercept? You can always withdraw from the battle and we might have taken it down, we'll never know now. The fact that one of them circled our base and then left also pretty much guarantees an attack on us soon so why that craft was allowed to patrol without a fight is a bit mind-boggling.

I certainly hope this terror mission turns out well because a lot of people are going to be very angry with us at the end of the month for having ignored that last USO...

Intercept large USOs with what ? Even if baracuda had double D.U.P torpedos its range is not enough to takle them. Even if you remember in EU you needed 2 Interceptors and some luck to bring down terror/supply ship. Of course two interceptors with 2x avalanache.

The first one was probably Alien Retaliation he zoomed so fast that in order to catch him we would need leviathan.

The second large USO is the terror I am writing. In order to down the Large USOs with barracudas we need sonic oscilataros. And definetly more then one barracude to increase the chance of interception

Nice work so far silencer! gj stunning that deep one. make sure tho u get a corpse too into that triton.

a tip tho that works often for me:

at the beginning of a mission when opening the triton and spotting an alien (even when hes not facing u) i tend to just end the turn. that way the alien uses some or all of its TU so no retaliation will happen. could have saved 2 aquanauts lives.

i hope the deep one doesent wake up and mince the brave trooper guarding it :-)

greez