Hi there...

BreakMage

That's because of this bug in UFO, when all levels were reverted back to beginner. Nevertheless, TFTD is a lot harder than it's predecessor. TFTD on Superhuman rocks, if I may say so! Absolutely guaranteed to have long many hour fights if you wish to keep alive most of your members.

And even if you don't, keep one thing in mind: Concentrate your research on getting Magnetic Ion Armour. ASAP.

Not only is it a critical research item, it evens the odds in the playing field a bit. Instead of your aquanauts being akin to chaff in the wind, now they'll be like empty cardboard boxes in the wind! :)

I won't spoil it for you, but here are some very important things you HAVE to know if you don't want to feel overly frustrated when you're nine tenths into the game and suddenly realised you goofed up (did this once - couldn't go to the last mission - very frustrating).

1. Deep Ones are important. So important that they clog up a really huge chunk of the research tree. Capture one and ONLY research the live deep-one after you've done research on the Ion Beam Accelerators (equivalent of the UFO power source). Research the corpse ASAP for a mediocre, but important, surprise.

2. If and when you get to research the M. C.-Lab, hold off on it until you've got a 'M. C. Reader' in storage. Just to avoid a minor bug.

3. If you find a store object called 'sub construction', hang on to one until you get the research topic of the same name, or you could stuff up the game. I forget the two research topics that you need to research to get it - just hold on to one. That's all you need to know. It's to avoid the same bug as in #2.

By the way, the aliens behave slightly differently in TFTD and they seem to stop moving after a while (Bladefirelight mentioned something about 10 turns or somesuch, but I've had various experiences, so your mileage may vary). They won't do anything for a bit, and will sometimes burst into action the moment your soldiers get in range. Reactions are still an important skill in TFTD to prevent aliens for firing on you the moment they see you, but the reaction stat is harder to increase because of the aliens' halting behaviour. So you're going to actively seek out the aliens.

P.S: Calcinite corpses are neat. They're auger-ate. :) Also, phosphor rounds are practically useless underwater. On land, however, the flames stick to more things and last much, much longer. And don't get your hopes up too much about the dye-grenade.

- NKF

This game is harder than UFO on Superhuman...? Then Superhuman and Beginner are the same for UFO, without the bug, since I have the CE version.

I mean, I've had two landed subs, and cleared them both with one or two casualities, tops. Heck, I even knocked an Aquatoid unconscious, another tried to throw a grenade at me but was more than halfway across the map, so it landed ON the unconscious one and blew it up...

Then my first Terror mission was at Night with Gill Men and Deep ones. I managed to get both a Dead and Live Deep One, and a Dead and Live Gillman from it. I know the bug, get Ion Accelerators and Aqua Plastics first, THEN interrogate the Live Deep One, right?

All in all, it seems just the same, with freakier music and different looking guns.

Yeah, you haven't met cute Lobbies yet. :)

The Aquatoids and the Gill men aren't very serious opponents. At least not until you meet higher Aquatoids with psy abilities.

And yes, many of them toss grenades so bad, but they compensate it for their stunning accuracy and good reactions.