The Technology of TFTD

Why are there bubbles in TFTD? If they are using liquid oxygen to breathe, there shouldn't be bubbles.

One possibility is that they are made of CO2. Breathing is both the intake of oxygen and the release of CO2. If the aquanauts are using a liquid instead of air to allow the exchange then the liquid will have to be filtered for the CO2 after its use and the bubbles are the result of the release of that byproduct. Still it doesn't make much sense since most likely the CO2 would be deposited on the filters as carbonates, i.e. in a solid state.

Interesting topic. It is strange that I haven't noticed it before.

I agree that bubbles are probably exhaust CO2. Maybe with a little methane, as was suggested before :)

Here are a few other questions:

How come most rookies can hit something with a grenade much better than with a rifle?

How come during my latest anti-terror operation in Florida not ONE civilian had a gun? Come on, it's a southern state; everybody should have a gun :)

Where are the police and local military during alien terror missions? (On a side note, where are the police ever when you need them? :spam:)

Does GreenPeace hold protest rallies against inhumane treatment of lobsters and other sea fauna during X-Com's operations?

Does the aliens' equivalent of GreenPeace hold protest rallies against inaliene treatment of humans?

Does anyone really care what GreenPeace and their equivalent are talking about?

Maybe it's not really all about technology, but hopefully it'll give some of you a chuckle. :)

why is it that you can't just swim to a higher level?

how come there were agents dispatched from a barricuda in the slide/clip when there wasn't xcomutil when tftd came out (or atleast not for tftd anyway...)

can we graft a deepone's armor on to jackson so he won't keep on getting hurt? (this is xcas here...)

why arn't thermal tazers called endothermic tazers?

why doesn't the sea water get frozen in the prosses of stunning something?

if you ARE "stunned", won't your arm fall off from being frozen?

how come in the UFOpedia, it reffers to some aliens under water, but you only see them on land (i.e. gill[wo]men)

if i ate a lobsterman, would i die?

if jackson ate a lobsterman, would he die?

are there anymore questions that i can ask?

That is a matter of stability.. you cant aim with out some way of stabalizing your self.. the best way to do this is lead shoes. untill the megnetic ion armor you have to use the sea bed as a stabalizer.. MagIon uses it's ability to control the magnectic feild to not only provide lift but to also keep the unit stable.

-Blade FireLight

• 1 month later...
we all DO know that we are just making stuff up, right? the main reason things aren't really that realistic is prob because the game engine is the same as UFO's...

What?! You mean there really aren't any aliens flying around and X-COM is just a game?! :)

How do you throw things underwater?

The same way Gordon Freeman can swing a crowbar with lethal force underwater. :)

How do sonic weapons travel in one direction?

Well, if you consider a speaker, if it's facing you, you'll hear it a lot better than if it's facing away. Just keep refining that using technology that cannot be explained. In fact, just imagine your molecules being vibrated apart, so you disintegrate much like Scratchy did after inhaling the microscopic Itchys.

Where are the bubbles coming from if they're breathing liquid oxygen?

Maybe an executive came to see the game and demanded to know why, if they were underwater, and were employing 30 artists, why there were no 'god damn bubbles' coming out of the soldiers. Then again, there's bubbles everywhere in the game.

Right, the fun ones now.

How come during my latest anti-terror operation in Florida not ONE civilian had a gun?

You should be more worried that you were rescuing a resort composed entirely of overweight men wearing nothing but grass skirts. Fnarr.

And besides, if you can shoot an alien five times with a magnetically-hurled uranium slug or SONIC DETH BEEM!!!!1 I really doubt someone's Desert Eagle will inflict much more than mild discomfort.

Where are the police and local military during alien terror missions? (On a side note, where are the police ever when you need them? )

Well, in Abomination, on your missions in the infected city you often come across the National Guard or the cops who'll help out. YES, that's REAL sensible. It's 28 days later, everyone is either dead, hiding, or infected, and you decide to stay on duty. Protecting whom from what, exactly? Coppers are so stupid.

Does anyone really care what GreenPeace and their equivalent are talking about?

Nope. Greenpeace seems to be in a competition with Amnesty International to see who can be the first to 'condemn' everything that's ever existed, ever. :)

Well, given you're WALKING on the seabed, I'd wager you're weighted to not float away. But of course, this begs the question: WHY do we need alien technology to invent a device for propelling divers upwards?

how come there were agents dispatched from a barricuda in the slide/clip when there wasn't xcomutil when tftd came out (or atleast not for tftd anyway...)

Well, presumably you COULD do it, but since they were bsaically doing XCOM:UFO again only with nicer graphics, fiddling the interceptors in-game would have been too much hassle.

if i ate a lobsterman, would i die?

Not from the lobsterman, but the amount of melted butter you'd need would guarantee health problems :)

Where are the police and local military during alien terror missions? (On a side note, where are the police ever when you need them? )

Well, in Abomination, on your missions in the infected city you often come across the National Guard or the cops who'll help out. YES, that's REAL sensible. It's 28 days later, everyone is either dead, hiding, or infected, and you decide to stay on duty. Protecting whom from what, exactly? Coppers are so stupid.

Well, they do like to shoot Colt 45s at creatures three storeys tall and can soak up a few RPGs with no prob. They're nothing if not so unbelievably freaking stupid that you have to wonder how they survived so far, and can only believe that the Brood gives unfair advantages to the mentally challenged brave.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL I guess they went to Gung-Ho Police College.

Or maybe all those layers of fat make them resistant to damage and infection? Never seen a policeman who wasn't a lardass...

The whole 'fight armies of infected loonies' thing was soo cool, why did they have to ruin it with all the cyborgs/giant aliens crap? Also, being infected with rage must suck, all that vomiting blood and never reading a book again. But - why did they sleep during the day? It was RAGE, not photosensitivity! Why didn't Serena and Obnoxious-Guy-Who-Gets-Macheted-Quite-Deservedly not head for Southend or something, nick a boat, and ESCAPE? I mean, it's not that far, did they not own cars? Etc.

• 2 weeks later...