New X-COM Hack

hatfarm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try the PCK conversion tools in my pack. Specially designed to work no matter how dodgy the source images are. :D

Really? I must have overlooked it. Thanks, and I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: hmm...Vista's command prompt isn't liking what I'm trying to do. I'll figure out some other way to get the tool working. "Illegal Command: Java" keeps coming up in both command prompt and in DOSBox.

Right now, Bomb Bloke's tools are the only ones I know of. I got them to work when I had Vista, but I don't think I had the problem you're encountering, so I can't be of much help there. I do plan to eventually add editing of the actual graphics, but that is well down the road (think probably in a year or so). I can't even get the graphics to load in a reasonable amount of time, so until I can do that, it'll be on the list of "things to do."

Right now, Bomb Bloke's tools are the only ones I know of. I got them to work when I had Vista, but I don't think I had the problem you're encountering, so I can't be of much help there. I do plan to eventually add editing of the actual graphics, but that is well down the road (think probably in a year or so). I can't even get the graphics to load in a reasonable amount of time, so until I can do that, it'll be on the list of "things to do."

It's all good :D -- at least I now know it can work in Vista. The graphics idea was more of a far-fecthed idea for me, anyway. If the mod just served as a nice, all-in-one editor for many stats and data in-game, I'd be more than pleased. I'll be trying the newest beta out soon to get a feel for what's being offered.

Yeah, right now all that's offered is saved game editing. As soon as the battlescape stuff is finished, I'll be moving on to the executable editing/game modding stuff. I'm not 100% sure if I should add in TFTD support in between those as of yet. It seems more people want the ability to mod the executable more than they want the ability to edit TFTD saved games, so it seems like that should be the priority I give it.

Hey, it worked! Looks like the problem had something to do with the installation path. Perhaps because I'm running 64-bit Vista, or something...

Anyway, things are working out great now. With this and Hatfarm's editor, I should be able to make some excellent creations.

Thanks to everyone who was so helpful (and quick) in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And, Release Candidate 2 is finished. It's available here. This will probably be the last update for a while so I can let people really test it out and find any bugs that might be in it. I try to make them as bug free as possible, but I'm sure there's something lurking. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Does anyone have any preference as to whether I start working on TFTD functionality or executable editing? If no one expresses any preference, I'm just going to start with TFTD, but I'd like to hear if people are really looking for one or the other. Thanks.

Yeah, I've already begun on TFTD editing and will add in that functionality pretty quickly (it's funny how many files are almost exactly the same). That shouldn't take TOO long, then I'll add in some executable editing.

version 3 is finally complete. It should be available here at StrategyCore soon, it can also be found at the stonepool site, and here.

Also available here at StrategyCore.

Here is the text from the readme:

X-Com Hack 3 is the latest version of the saved game editor for X-Com UFO/EU.

It allows the user to edit values of Bases, Money, Names of games, Soldiers,

Research, Manufacturing, UFOPaedia, Alien Containment, Crafts, Diplomacy,

Units in Combat, Map Visibility. This version is much more graphical and

actually loads the images from the X-Com game for a more familiar editing

environment.

This has been tested on DOS and Windows versions and works fine. If you are

having troubles getting the program to work, try the installer version, as it

will make sure you have all the necessary files for the program. Please let me

know if you encounter any bugs, or would like some specific functionality.

TFTD support is coming soon, as is executable editing.

-Chris Voss

hatfarm@gmail.com

https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/

https://www.xcomufo.com/hatfarm/

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finished the next iteration much quicker than I thought. This one adds TFTD editing functionality. Everything you can edit in UFO, you can edit in TFTD. It also loses a lot of the superfluous stuff that got loaded for each file edited. It loads all images on the fly, which is a slight speed loss, but for the most part the program should run leaner in general. There were a lot of little bugs fixed with this as well, things that wouldn't normally happen, but could happen if you accidentally did something. It also adds a lot of graphical improvements, making it look sleeker. I've added some thank you's to the about section, because I've been helped a lot with this program.

Here's the new readme.

If you've used the installer, you can just replace the previous executable with the executable. However, you will have to select your location again.

It's available at my Stonepool site, and here.

Not sure if it would be better to just update the file in the v3 file entry here, or if I should just create a new one for v3.1. Once I get that figured out, I'll have a link to the file here at StrategyCore.

That would be alright with me. I didn't think creating a brand new entry for it would be worth it considering that the other version's only been out for a couple weeks. Also, I forgot about 1 option I didn't include in TFTD, that is completing the current research being done. That is mostly because I know there are a lot of problems with the research, and didn't want to risk destroying someone's chances to beat the game. Hopefully that's understandable.

What kind of executable editing would you like? Classes start for me on Monday, but I'm gonna try to get the first beta done by then (no promises though). Any requests/recommendations? It'll be a whole "game" editor, meaning strings, weapons, executable and image editing. That's the goal at least, as well as more options for saved game editing.

I've updated our download link for the proggy. It's now in the TFTD Tools section as well as the EU Editors area.

One thing I'd really like to see in an editor would be a simplistic way (from the user's point of view, at least) to import aliens from either UFO or TFTD into the later/earlier game. The editor would basically be copy'n'pasting bits of data around, so I dunno if you'd be interested in this, but the fact remains that such a feature would be cool. A fair amount of work towards this can already be considered completed, in that my toolkit can handle the sprites; the UFOpedia screens would need some slight modifications, but other then that it's just a matter of stat/text string alteration.

Are you talking switching back and forth, or completely importing one into the other? The switching I think can be done, probably no problem, though we'd probably have to edit the palettes and such, but the complete importing would be very difficult. If I could figure that out, I'd definitely implement it. Either way, this gives me a goal, and I'll get cracking on it.