Melee Weapon Stats

Zombie

Chop, chop. :)

Does anyone use melee weapons/throwing knives exclusively for their scout(s)? I found it is a really good idea to carry along some sort of pistol or sub machine gun as a backup weapon just in case the scout throws all the knives away and the melee weapon takes too long to slice. Of course, this lowers familiarity but you'll get that back if you use the melee weapon type again. :)

- Zombie

A grenade or three is fine for the oh-shit-theres-five-of-them situations, I find. That, and using non-smg-wielding enemies as unwitting meatshields by running up to them.

Plus lots of fervent praying, of course. Can't imagine an atheist scout in this game.

A grenade or three is fine for the oh-shit-theres-five-of-them situations, I find. That, and using non-smg-wielding enemies as unwitting meatshields by running up to them.

Hehe. :)

The one thing I haven't done much of is equipping my scout with grenades. I don't know why this is exactly, but it probably has to do with the lack of explosives in game and the general ineffectiveness of only being able to throw the things one or two or three meters. (I understand the need to balance the game, but the inability to throw a grenade even at medium ranges is totally unrealistic). I guess the other reason for not giving my scout a grenade is that I don't want to kill him/her with a inaccurate mis-throw. (Happens more often than you may think). If there was a really big group of enemies, I'd make my scout do a tactical retreat and let the HMG/SMG folks take care of the majority of the baddies via reaction fire (urm, interrupt), then bring the scout in for the cleanup work. :)

- Zombie

Oh, scouts and grenades.

When I first started playing, I caught a group of enemies bunched up, it was on the English manor house map. Knelt my scout by a tree for cover, whispered "Go on, do it! Dooo iiit! Send them right to Broadway!" and threw a grenade.

He blows himself up.

Tried a few more times, same result. Check his profile. Nothing there about having the throwing ability of a girl with no hands.

Okay, maybe it's the kneeling down. No, same result from standing.

Shit.

Took me another half a dozen tries to realise the grenade was hitting the tree branches. :)

Ha! I just started a brand new Allied game of S2 (because my previous campaign is saved on the hard drive of my now-defunct laptop) and barely completed the first mission with my scout (she was teetering on the brink of death, but she had enough health left to drag the body back to the exit point). Then I hired 2 snipers, a scout, a soldier and a HMG guy and sent them on a mission. Completed that by a better margin. Went back to base and then sent the troops out to patrol an area in the lower right/middle right of the map. In a little while a random encounter popped up so the troops were sent in. Darkness, in a map with a semi-circular road going from the middle of one side of the map to the middle of the adjacent side. There is usually a rocky mountain in the larger area, but on my particular map there was no rocks, just trees on the hill. That immediately threw up a red light.

First round I moved my scout a little and she got a bead on an enemy soldier. One of my soldiers killed the guy off and I sent my scout a little closer to see what the guy was carrying. 1 Breda grenade and 6 Shuriken. I wondered to myself: "could this possibly be the coveted map where you can get the Katana"? The resulting battle was very bloody as the enemies were tossing grenades and Shurikens at every opportunity. They were nearly impossible to spot as well - sometimes my scout had to walk right up to an enemy to see him. Slowly worked my way down the road meeting very heavy resistance from more enemy soldiers. There were soldier bodies everywhere, but no officer, hmmm. Just as I thought there wouldn't be an officer, he became visible in an interrupt sequence. Thank god this happened, because now my sniper was able to take 2 shots (both hit). The next turn, the officer was still visible, so I concentrated all the firepower of my team on him. Finally the guy dropped dead after umpteen thousand hits. The leave button turned green, so my scout checked the officer. Bingo! There's the Katana sword! :)

So there were 10 enemy soldiers each carrying 1 Breda grenade and 6 Shurikens for a grand total of 10 Bredas, 60 Shurikens plus the coveted Katana.

This mission was nearly impossible to finish and I don't think it would have been possible without a whole team and the help of a couple scouts and some great shooting by my snipers. If I had to do it all over, I would wait a while until my soldiers were level 15 or so. :) It wasn't really worth all the grenades I used up, or the surgical plasters, though, I can recover more of the plasters. :)

But this was the second random encounter in my campaign, that's what surprised me.

- Zombie

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was going through all the getitem numbers in the game today due to a borked internet connection and ran across the two Panzerklein-only melee weapons (Mechanical Sword and Mechanical Sabre). I'll be adding these to the site table soonish. Now if I only had a saved game with Panzerkleins, because then I could test out the Max APs/breakpoint. :P

Edit: Added. :P

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the max APs and breakpoint stats for the mechanical sword and mechanical sabre (panzerklein-only weapons) are up on the site! :P

I first looked at which class increases the least from melee at this site page. It's the Sniper which is 75% less than a Scout. Then I looked at which attributes add the most to melee. Str: +1 to melee for each point, Dex: +2 to melee for each point and Int: 0 to melee for each point. So that means for the lowest possible melee stat, create a sniper, take all points out of Dex, Max out Int first, then put the remaining points into Strength. This created a L1 Sniper with only 13 for melee. Nuke the xp level to 0 and the melee drops to 12. Get into a PK suit and melee drops to 2! :P Now that's about as rock bottom as you can get! :)

Now I hired a bunch of soldiers with different melee stats to compare. The Mechanical Sword takes 30 APs to use from 2-13 melee, then drops to 29 at 14 melee, so it's breakpoint is 13/14. For the Mechanical Sabre, it takes 25 APs to use from 2-13 melee, then drops to 24 APs at 14 melee, so it's breakpoint is also 13/14. Cross another project off the list. ;)

- Zombie

Just used the setxplevel cheat to nuke Yves (who normally has a throw of 17 at L1) down to a throw of 14 at L0. ;) When he tried to use the Axis throwing knife, his AP cost was still 8. So that's about as low as I can get for a throwing stat without modding a soldier's skills manually.

Wrong! :) Now that I know a little bit more of attributes, I tried to make a gimped thrower. The Grenadier is 100% (out of the picture) and a Scout is 75% (again, not worth it), so that leaves the other classes (Medic, Engineer, Sniper, Soldier) who are all at 50% at throwing. Not the worst, but it will have to do. :P I picked a medic. For every point in strength it increases throwing by +2, so this is the attribute to set to a min. Intelligence does nothing to throwing, so we can max that. The rest of the points go into Dex (+1 throwing for every point). What I ended up with was a Medic who has a throwing skill of 15 at L1. Nuke xp down to L0 and throwing becomes 12. So that's the absolute min. :)

I tried the Dart Arrow, but it's still 1 AP to throw. My guess is that it remains 1 AP to throw all the way to 0 throwing. The Axis throwing knife also stays at 8 AP at 12 throwing so no change there either. My guess is that it also stays at 8 AP all the way to 0. Well, it was a long shot anyway. :P

Edit: And yes, you really do need to pick a class not proficient in the skill you are trying to min. If you pick a grenadier and try to min him in throwing, he ends up being 4 points more than a class not very proficient. ;)

- Zombie

• 3 years later...

Ha! I just started a brand new Allied game of S2 (because my previous campaign is saved on the hard drive of my now-defunct laptop) and barely completed the first mission with my scout (she was teetering on the brink of death, but she had enough health left to drag the body back to the exit point). Then I hired 2 snipers, a scout, a soldier and a HMG guy and sent them on a mission. Completed that by a better margin. Went back to base and then sent the troops out to patrol an area in the lower right/middle right of the map. In a little while a random encounter popped up so the troops were sent in. Darkness, in a map with a semi-circular road going from the middle of one side of the map to the middle of the adjacent side. There is usually a rocky mountain in the larger area, but on my particular map there was no rocks, just trees on the hill. That immediately threw up a red light.

First round I moved my scout a little and she got a bead on an enemy soldier. One of my soldiers killed the guy off and I sent my scout a little closer to see what the guy was carrying. 1 Breda grenade and 6 Shuriken. I wondered to myself: "could this possibly be the coveted map where you can get the Katana"? The resulting battle was very bloody as the enemies were tossing grenades and Shurikens at every opportunity. They were nearly impossible to spot as well - sometimes my scout had to walk right up to an enemy to see him. Slowly worked my way down the road meeting very heavy resistance from more enemy soldiers. There were soldier bodies everywhere, but no officer, hmmm. Just as I thought there wouldn't be an officer, he became visible in an interrupt sequence. Thank god this happened, because now my sniper was able to take 2 shots (both hit). The next turn, the officer was still visible, so I concentrated all the firepower of my team on him. Finally the guy dropped dead after umpteen thousand hits. The leave button turned green, so my scout checked the officer. Bingo! There's the Katana sword! drinks.gif

So there were 10 enemy soldiers each carrying 1 Breda grenade and 6 Shurikens for a grand total of 10 Bredas, 60 Shurikens plus the coveted Katana.

This mission was nearly impossible to finish and I don't think it would have been possible without a whole team and the help of a couple scouts and some great shooting by my snipers. If I had to do it all over, I would wait a while until my soldiers were level 15 or so. smile.png It wasn't really worth all the grenades I used up, or the surgical plasters, though, I can recover more of the plasters. party.gif

But this was the second random encounter in my campaign, that's what surprised me.

Just started a brand new Allies campaign today with a hero sniper. She did superbly on the training mission, and the first random encounter went very smooth. So I hired a team to spread the wealth a bit. First random encounter mission as a team, second random encounter overall, and bam, Katana mission. I must be really out of practice, because this was nearly impossible to finish. The enemies had such a rediculously high hide that there were a couple instances where my other sniper literally stumbled over an enemy. Luckily he had a pistol and plenty of APs to use it. Killed 2 enemies like this, Gator killed another with some excellent long range bursts from his Lewis MK1.

Then all hell broke loose. My sniper ran ahead a little bit, got spotted by an unseen enemy, and couldn't make it back to the squad. The enemy that spotted her was the Katana wielding soldier - so the next round he walked right up to her and swung that sword 20 times (I'm not kidding on this) before he did 144 damage. Insta-dead. Had to reload. This time I took it slower, but now the group of soldiers with the stars and grenades spotted my team and nuked them to oblivion and threw stars from so far away I couldn't tell where they were coming from. Another reload. This time I cheated a bit and edited in some explosive throwing darts to toss around. That helped tremendously (grenades just can't be thrown very far with L1 units, but the darts are light). So yeah, I have the sword now, but it was bloody. wink.png

- Zombie

I did the first training mission and a random encounter solo with my main, the Katana mission was directly after that so I was at L1, though nearly to L2. I believe somebody mentioned that the enemies in this mission are L6, but I've never looked. Still have the saved game so maybe I'll take a peek tonight. ;)

- Zombie

• 3 years later...

I noticed that the Panzerklein-only melee weapons (Mechanical Sword and Mechanical Sabre) were missing from the Melee Weapons site page a while back, so today I fired up the game, modded the weapons in and gathered the stats again. So now the tables are complete-ish. In the future I might add the X&Y sizes, weight and internal editor name. :)

By the way, if any of you can use the editor (I can because I am still on Win7) the internal item numbers can be found if you open up the RPG Items, expand a folder, and double click on a weapon. From there look to the far right for the properties pane, and it's under General (ID = {X,-1} ) where X is the item number. Kinda handy to know if you are comparing notes against the editor which have differing internal names sometimes. ;)

- Zombie