Weird Color

HunterKiller

Have you tried Win95 compatibility mode?

Yes I have, the game used to work fine and then all of a sudden I started to get this color problem. I hadn't installed any new software or hardware but I guessing it has something to do with vidocard incompatibility. Sometimes I get it to work normal by restarting my comp but it tends to relapse.

I frequently observed strange colors popping up but never red. Nevertheless, I found that some programs running in the background screw with X-COM game colors so you may want to try closing out any applications which are open in the system tray (found next to the clock in the lower right) or in the taskbar (next to the start menu). This includes virus checking software, MS-Office Apps, web browsers, etc. A common one is multiple instances of the game running. After everything is closed, restart the game.

If your computer has programs which run on a schedule (virus checkers are notorious offenders), make sure to turn those off as well. Anything which starts while the game is running tends to foul things up. I make no guarantees that this will work, but in my case it fixes the problem immediately. :oh:

BTW, you can take screenshots in X-COM by pressing F12. :P

- Zombie

I frequently observed strange colors popping up but never red. Nevertheless, I found that some programs running in the background screw with X-COM game colors so you may want to try closing out any applications which are open in the system tray (found next to the clock in the lower right) or in the taskbar (next to the start menu). This includes virus checking software, MS-Office Apps, web browsers, etc. A common one is multiple instances of the game running. After everything is closed, restart the game.

If your computer has programs which run on a schedule (virus checkers are notorious offenders), make sure to turn those off as well. Anything which starts while the game is running tends to foul things up. I make no guarantees that this will work, but in my case it fixes the problem immediately. :P

BTW, you can take screenshots in X-COM by pressing F12. :oh:

- Zombie

Well thx alot what you told me worked. It turns out that AOL running in the background was somehow the problem. Now i just need to figure out how to take screen shots. You said that f12 takes a screen shot in game but does it save it to a folder or what? Thanks for everything.

Yup, like everyone mentioned the game places the screenshot in the main game directory which looks something like shot0000.tga. Targa files can't be opened with some common image programs, but InfanView does the job. If you have Paint Shop Pro, that is excellent for a program which isn't free. But, my default application is an image program from my flatbed scanner package - I figured I might as well use it since is was bundled with the hardware. :oh:

- Zombie