Ubisoft suing Something Awful?

Slaughter

Now I'm not one to read gossip usually, but this little gem at Blue's News was too good to miss! According to Something Awful's Lowtax, he's been threatened by Ubisoft because of a comic linked to there.

- The SA topic

- Links to the comic

- Another topic on this at SA

I have a few theories about what this is:

- This Jade girl needs more exposure. I know I never heard of her before this, and now it's spreading like wildfire over the Internet. Sort of like when a certain Hilton spread her videos...

- The letter is a fake, and someone is pulling a joke on Lowtax/Jade/Ubisoft.

- Jade refused to go out with Lowtax, and he's getting back at her? (no offence Lowtax, just theories :D)

- The letter is ACTUALLY real, and she is genuinely hurt by this comic (least likely explanation in my opinion).

What's your favourite theory? Great marketing stunt regardless, so hats of to Ubisoft if it's real!

A juvenile response to a juvenile comic, which itself was caused by Ubisoft pushing Jade Raymond like she's the best thing since the non-exploding toilet. She's been rather relentlessly promoted alongside that Assassin's Creed game, a convenient figurehead that will mean more gamers buy the game, cause we're all randy teenagers who have never had a sniff of a girl.

The comic did make me laugh though, and the ensuing furore has created plenty of press. Ubisoft will be happy.

If anyone wants to see it and can't find it, here it is.

A bit rude, but not actually graphically explicit.

That artwork looks familiar. Is that Skribblekid of Chugworth Academy fame?

EDIT: Boo yah! I knew it was Skribble's doing. Nobody draws like him. Link: https://chugworth.com/

I like how when somebody from a completely different website does something like that, Lowtax gets sued anyways. It's like that Three Stooges routine where no matter who hit Moe, Moe just slapped Curly upside the head in response.

Going in the same direction in the xcomufo.com forums it seems. We really need a new X-COM announcement soon...

This is STRATEGY Core. IMO broadening our horizons is better than waiting for something that may never happen. I don't think we should "cut the X-COM cord", on the contrary. SC is a tribute to X-COM and should remain this way, but doing reviews on all kinds of strategy is the way to go. We just need to be a little more serious about it... Meaning actually writting them.

I thought the comic was an excellent piece of satire on the tendency for publishers to use sex appeal in order to sell games. And it brings a new meaning to describing someone as the public mouthpiece of a corporation :D

It is hardly unusual for a member of a large online community to provide a link to something of... questionable taste. I think that all that has happened here is that someone at Ubisoft worked out that they can get a lot of free online publicity for their game by upsetting the Something Awful community. They'll probably apologise and back down as a 'goodwill' gesture in a week or two, but by then, everyone will have heard of 'Jade's Game'.

Agreed. I don't see them suing us anytime soon for posting it, even if I'd love for them to do so! Something Awful is HUGE, and thus bound to get a lot of publicity. Good move by Ubi, even if one can argue they are prostituting themselves even more than publishers usually do. Oh, good one on the corporate mouthpiece! :D

As a small related note, if the Jade lady actually took offence by this comic, my apologies!

If any action was taken, it was likely shot down quickly, as the wrong person was accused. (That could land Ubisoft in trouble for not even aiming allegations at the right party.) I've not heard anything about Skribblekid of Chugworth being sued, though. Once charges are brought on him, then maybe something real will happen.

• 3 weeks later...