345 replies to this topic

#61 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

Indeed, I'm getting bored of the same zombies all over again and again, I found the enemies and levels in the original Half Life to be far more interesting (Black Mesa was a FAR FAR more interesting setting, IMHO) than in these games, but as you said, the storyline keeps me coming back :D
Posted Image

#62 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Half-Life: Black Mesa.

Can't wait for those guys to finish.
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#63 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Yeah :D So far it looks awesome
Posted Image

#64 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Now, the ending in Half Life Episode 2 is what I call a thrilling ending, I just cannot wait to play Episode 3!
Posted Image

#65 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

Playing Call of Duty 4, fantastic war FPS, with the possible exception of the campaign backstory, I was literally praying it was not about the US saving the world (yet again, figure that) from the Evil arab terrorists, I'd have preferred either a fictitious conflict or another WWII shooter (though I'm kinda fed up of those too, but still enjoyable), also, the quality of the quotes between deaths has been drastically reduced, now they are quoting freaking Colin Powell! makes me wanna use the game disc as a cup holder.

That aside, really nice graphics, the storyline seems well developed, very nice gameplay, in short: fun ^_^
Posted Image

#66 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Mario Kart Wii.  Best online racing experience I've ever had.  Sense of humour is essential though.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#67 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

I'd love to have a nintendo wii ... bloody expensive over here (over $600), especially for an unemployed student :)
Smash Brothers Brawl must be excellent.
Posted Image

#68 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

bloody expensive over here (over $600)

I thought the UK had it bad as far as pricing was concerned.  I stand corrected.

#69 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

Must be a regional thing, the same price stands in Argentina, how much is it in the UK?
Posted Image

#70 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Huh? What's the xbox360/ps3 prices like then, if the wii is expensive?

#71 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

A Wii is 200, so that's about $400 I think.

#72 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Wii is something like $500 here, the others are more expensive.

#73 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

400$ here. In comparison, the most expensive version of the PS3 available here costs a mere 900$.

#74 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

And these are not even retail prices, those are somewhat larger (the "somewhat" can be quite pronounced), these are from a website similar to eBay.
Posted Image

#75 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

Are the RRP worse then, Az?  I know sometimes, when things are in demand like the Wii has been, prices on auction sites get downright silly.

#76 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:10 AM

Not completely sure about the exact price right now, but it's pricey.

To serve as some sort of comparison, the price of the Nintendo Wii last year was $1530 at the local GameStop.
http://www.mundoenfe.../game-stop.html
Posted Image

#77 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

It seems like importing would be much, much cheaper.  Although, so would hiring a group of crack mercenaries to steal you one.

#78 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:16 AM

I get Wiis for friends, for cheap. Working in retail has that advantage. I have even "exported" a couple consoles. Although, I stopped when I was told that was illegal. Does anyone know what the laws are regarding sending Wii's overseas? Because I know some trouble was started when they were doing that with PSPs.
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#79 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

I know Lik Sang was sued in x amount of courts by Sony and shut down for importing PSPs to Europe from Hong Kong, but that was before the PSP had been released in Europe.  Never heard of Nintendo having a problem with importing, and I know a few people here in the UK with North American Wiis.

#80 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

I've just been playing Armored Core: Silent Line for the PS2 - partly because I love giant robots, especially modular designed ones like the ones featured in the game (aka, head, torso, arms, legs and the other doodads that go with it are all interchangeable). The other reason is that I picked up some AC model kits recently and think they're gorgeous (as can be seen by my current choice in avatar).

Now, I'm quite late getting into the AC game series, so I don't know if this is how it's meant to be, but I think Silent Line is built for pros of the earlier titles in the series. The mission difficulty is so variable that one minute it's easy-peasy, and the next it's way-WAY too hard (such as your first experience with an enemy AC). It's definitely not something I'd recommend for your casual gamer.

One of several things I did not like about the game was the programmer's choice in not letting you assign the right thumb stick to any of the controls except for its click function. I really wanted to use it to look left and right and up and down - I spent most of the game fumbling with the shoulder buttons for looking up/down and left and right. Not a wise decision on their part. Thanks to this I'm sad to say that I spent most of the game using a lock-on missile launcher of some kind for most of the combat since I was still trying to get used to the controls (even started thinking about the controls while I was falling asleep - eerie!).

Also the whole mission based scenario thing just doesn't work for this kind of game. It would've been better as some sort of adventure RPG-like game where you travel about from battle to battle ala Fallout or Silent Storm. But that's just me trying to fit some of my favourite genres into another again. :)

But all that aside, reconfiguring mechs to adapt to the various missions was part of the fun. Going from heavy bruisers to lightweight mechs or general purpose mechs with hover parts. Pity the enemy AI mechs spend most of their time performing bunny hops, and their ammo supply appears infinite, and their accuracy is unrealistic.

I'm wondering if this is one game where they swapped the easy and hard settings for the English release. I might grab one more title and see if that's any different.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users