Buying a mobile phone...

Space Voyager

Just making sure I'm in accordance with the Gratuitous Use of Phone Cameras Act (2006).

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/IMAG0001.jpg

I designed a little orange jumpsuit for it to wear but it staged a dirty protest.

HTC Android! I'm jealous ;)

I'm on a crappy Samsung GTS5230, not nearly as good as it looked the first time.

Next phone I'm getting next year is bound to either be Windows Phone (my first choice), or Android.

Had fun with a bug in swype. Had to enter an app, change input to android keyboard, then switch back to swype. Still in beta I must remember.

gStrings is handy if you're a musician. Gmote is amusing, for using your phone as a remote control for your PC. Wifi analyser if you like using those wifi connections people keep leaving everywhere. Screenoff and lock is okay but doesn't apply the security lock, just the screen lock. Distance Calculator is no nonsense and does what it says. Convert Pad provides conversion rates for just about anything, very comprehensive. Handcent looks like the best for SMS if you want more and more options. K-9 Mail is the best for handling several different email accounts (saves you using several different email apps at least), loads more options than the default.

Not found a great browser yet. Opera is quick but a little odd, Firefox is unstable, Dolphin I dunno about.

Edit: Wireless file transfer is smashing, too. Does zacly what it says.

CPU tuner/CPU Boost are free alternatives to SetCPU.

Juice Defender works well!

Arc Media Player for playing common video files. This cuts out having to convert them just to watch them on your phone.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have(through means not worthy of mention but involving a pool and being a lifeguard) acquired at small cost a Motorola Citrus.

This is my first smart-phone cellphone.

Android is...interesting, to say the least. I'm fighting it's inability to handle .m4v videos, but so far no real issues. Quite handy, though I've not started to mess with it completel yet.

Does changing the extension to MP4 work at all for those pesky M4Vs?

The Citrus reminds me of the HTC Wildfire, about the perfect size for a phone for my tiny girlish hands. What sort of data/call time plan have you got, squire?

Windows Explorer reads them as MP4s, but the file extenstion is m4v. I just noticed that. Odd. Will try this shortly.

I'm on an old Alltel(grandfathered into Verizon Wireless) plan that I don't recall the details of outside free mobile-to-mobile/nights/weekends. Had to twist some arms to get a Data package for this line, so I'm sure it's only low-midrange; but I don't see myself using the data-line part much when I can just piggyback off a wireless connection...

Researchers Trevor Eckhart, Artem Russakouskii and Justin Case said the vulnerability affects HTC EVO 3D, EVO 4G, Thunderbolt, EVO Shift 4G, MyTouch 4G Slide, some of the Sensation line, and perhaps the upcoming line of Vigor as well as others that are not yet verified.

Whew, mine not mentioned, plus I'm using a custom ROM so it probably doesn't apply to me anyway. :P

• 3 months later...

My Desire decided to visit BootLoop City earlier today, much to my anger. I fiddled, but it wasn't having any of it, and so it was time to restore from back up, which Titanium had been kind enough to do every week for the past year or so!

Unfortunately, I disabled the back up schedule back in February 2011, which made me bloody furious at my own stupidity. Thanks to various apps, my contacts, emails, SMS and whatnot were 99% fine, but a lot of stuff was lost, I've got bookmarks, passwords and the usual all to input again, and my phone's user settings all to reconfigure.

So, everything worked perfectly, but I had to meddle and prevent it from doing exactly what it was meant to do. Anyway, despite my best efforts to sabotage it, it's still not bad, and the rest is just a matter of time to input again.

I'm an idiot. Needless to say, back up schedule restarted and I've now made a local back up as well.

Dear Sir,

As of late we have been actively searching for people matching your profile in terms of skill-set and qualifications. We would therefore like to invite you to visit our headquarters at your earliest possible convenience so as to be interviewed for a position at our novel Quality Assurance lab in the Caribbean.

We would be most pleased if you would consider helping us to improve the quality of our products.

Yours trully,

Seymour S.

HTC Corporation

::

You can always dream... :)

Be it on PCs or Smartphones, it's always a riot to bring everything back to the way it was. It's criminal, really - one shouldn't be allowed to have that much fun at it as often as you seem to, FA... :(

Well, I'm glad you managed to salvage it. And how about shifting years-worth of info from an old, decaying, data asylum, brick of a phone to a new one - yep, more joy still, so count yourself lucky for progress and modernity. :(

• 1 month later...