I just HATE tftds unit placement.

Faskalia

Long story short:

I started playing tftd again and I am currently doing pretty well (mainly because I imported part of my PSI squad :what:).

Anyway the first alien activity site popped up and I sent a hammerhead. After rushing to the lift I entered the 2nd mission part. While clearing the hallways and surrounding the lift that leads to the synonym device. Because i wanted the loot,I swept through the whole level 2-3 times but no luck, I did not found the last alien :D

After alittle struggle and some frustration i simply used xcomutil, to reveal the whole battlefield and behold: The last alien is a tantaculute, STUCK IN A WALL :bleh: . I tried shooting myself through the wall, but no luck. So i am currently stuck, with an enemy i cannot reach/kill. Thats just great.

Anyway: Has anyone experience with killing battlescape units through hexing or even better changing their current position?

Any help will be appreciated.

https://files-upload.com/131500/GAME_7.rar.html

edit: download buttom is on the lower left of the site. you have to wait 10 secs :P

Now doesn't xcomutil have a WIN option which kills any remaining aliens on the battlefield?

Yep.

WIN = Force a victory in battle by inflicting immediately fatal wounds on all

aliens that are not already stunned.

That sounds strange, but it might explain a thing or two about the colonies. They may have done it on purpose to force you to leave and gather all the loot along the way.

What done is done, but was there any chance of getting underneath the tentaculat? If there was, an in-game option would've been to use a gas cannon with HE shells or PWT torpedo and attack the tentaculat from below. Or throw a grenade up through the ceiling.

- NKF

That sounds strange, but it might explain a thing or two about the colonies. They may have done it on purpose to force you to leave and gather all the loot along the way.

What done is done, but was there any chance of getting underneath the tentaculat? If there was, an in-game option would've been to use a gas cannon with HE shells or PWT torpedo and attack the tentaculat from below. Or throw a grenade up through the ceiling.

- NKF

Well you can reach the tile directly under it. I did only bring pulsers on the mission, and PWTs haven't been researched yet. But it might be possible, to set PWTs to researched and then simply grab one from a corpse. Shock launchers might work as well.

But I did not manage to throw a grenade up through the "roof". And yes, it might really explain why many people, including myself spent hours after hours on a colony without finding that last alien. On my next conlony/artifact site/activity site. I wont even bother finding every single alien. I will just grab the loot, destroy the device and get out.

Yup, a Sonic Pulser lobbed through the ceiling worked great. :bleh:

Hrm, I took a look at an unaltered version of TFTD and tried to determine how that Tentaculat could have shown up completely surrounded in "dirt". The spawn points for both the smaller module and the Synomium module are fine.

I have a few theories here. First, is that XComUtil is to blame. Anytime you mess with maps there is a chance that something like this will happen. Secondly, the files in your routes folder may have been corrupted somehow. The last theory is that the Tentaculat actually flew up there itself and couldn't figure out how to get down again. Soldiers can embed themselves in the "dirt" if they wear Mag Ion Armor, but they are smart enough to get out of it by simply going down.

Faskalia: do you think you could zip up your MAPS, ROUTES and TERRAIN folders for me? I'd like to take a closer look at them to determine if it is corruption or an unintentional game "feature". Thanks! :what:

- Zombie

The last theory is that the Tentaculat actually flew up there itself and couldn't figure out how to get down again.

*lol* That could indeed explain a few things! Dumb aliens, aren't they, eh? I can already read the headlines:

TENTACULAT STUCK UPON TREE!

X-COM Firefighters to the rescue of the poor critter

Edit: sorry for being off topic. :bleh:

• 2 months later...

Any mod that messes with maps can cause corruption of the route maps. It is posible to load the saved game map and routes into a map editor to overly the spawn points.

TFTD has a number of messed up routes. During Beta testing they had a spawn point on the top of the triton. They removed it because it was felt it was felt that made the game to hard. I wish they had left it in. It forces you to deploy a die cloud before exiting the craft just to be safe.

-Blade FireLight

I remember this as the reason I stopped playing TFTD; I tend to have little patience for turn-based games, though I enjoy them I cannot play many missions straight, it just gets to me, so I went to a Cruise mission. Lobstermen and Aerodrones. I killed all of them, somehow, and on the second part of the mission, despite me killing all of them, the damn mission would not end!! I snapped and deleted the whole game (: Oh well, it just wasn't for me (:

During Beta testing they had a spawn point on the top of the triton. They removed it because it was felt it was felt that made the game to hard.

I thought that was a bug, and it survived past beta testing. The first version of TFTD I bought (on floppy disks) had that spawn point (for one of your own units). The Collector's Edition doesn't have it.

Edit: Oh, you said Triton. The bug I was thinking of was only for the Leviathan.

I remember this as the reason I stopped playing TFTD; I tend to have little patience for turn-based games, though I enjoy them I cannot play many missions straight, it just gets to me, so I went to a Cruise mission. Lobstermen and Aerodrones. I killed all of them, somehow, and on the second part of the mission, despite me killing all of them, the damn mission would not end!! I snapped and deleted the whole game (: Oh well, it just wasn't for me (:

Same here. Today i deleted TFTD from my HD, not because of the bugs/glitches i experienced but because the gameplay simply start to annoy me!

Had a ship-mission and as it seems there was one alien left, but no matter how long i searched i couldn't find it. I used the motion sensor and all that moved were civilians, seems the lone alien was stuck somewhere. In the end i had to withdraw from that mission and luckily still got an OK. I was angry but though "Ok, this can happen, move on"

But then i had a SUB mission, small map, small ship. 6 of my soldiers and 2 tanks were running circles on that map and still couldn't find the last alien, motion sensor showed nothing. Then by accident i moved behind one of those coffin-like things and the alien stood there! How the hell can a 2 meter alien stand behind a 50 cm bed/coffin and will not be seen?!

options->abandon game->exit dosbox->delete TFTD directory. Happy. :(

I'd highly advise you reconsider!

Then again, my descent into this X-Com madness started with TFTD so I've got a very soft spot for it. Perhaps play another game for a bit, then come back to it.

- NKF