How do you enter a room safely!

hambo

I don't know of a foolproof way, but a few things that can help:

First man in has high dexterity (I think that's the right attribute) and is armed with a submachine gun. So he can enter, open fire, and withdraw if necessary. Machine guns are obviously murder at close range, but they don't leave you much AP to retreat with after use. A pistol can also be put to good use, but then the character has to be a better shot.

Put some rounds into the room, which usually means machine gun or concerted rifle fire through the floor/ceiling/walls. This is my favourite, because not only will the bullets hurt any enemies, they will also open up some nice little holes for you to sight enemies or throw grenades through.

Toss a grenade in first. It doesn't have to be a massively powerful one (in fact, using those indoors can sometimes be a bit of a downer, quite literally), just something your character can throw effectively. I might be talking out of my arse here, but wounded enemies don't seem to react as quickly as healthy ones.

Stairs are very tricky, I have problems with them myself. I usually spray a few rounds up through each landing, and stay low as I go up them, which lets me get closer to each landing before commencing to hurl a grenade at the blighter who is five steps back from the top stair, just waiting for me to go running up into his gunfire.

Try and make sure you have at least one man covering the man going in, so if he enters and spots multiple enemies, you can then shoot at them through the walls/ceiling/floor before retreating your entry man. Feel free to destroy doors with gunfire, or even open up huge holes in the sides of structures so your snipers/machine gunners/riflemen can engage the people inside at an ideal range.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of more suggestions shortly. :(

A grenade through the window is a good opening move.

Some rounds through the door might get the other guy to come out instead, so you get the advantage of being prepared.

Failing that, if you must enter through the door, bring the guy with the best interrupt skill.

Preferably the vanguard feat as well, but that's late in the game. The big upper? You go first in the first turn of every small combat. Wonderful. Ahmed with a PPD and this feat ends all worries of entering rooms headfirst.

And when all else fails ... flimsy buildings can be demolished pretty well by a single heavy grenade. Try it.

ok, what about this one.

scenario:

ememy is in a corridor and im behind door at end. i open it and spot him, let of a few rounds then sidestep left behind the wall. next move i sidestep 1 step to 'peep out' and shoot him, simple!

however he gets 1st shot in and empties his heavy machine gun into my man and kills him outright.

If you know that you get only one chance to shoot, then try with rocket launcer (no mercy style), grenade, machine gun (full burst) or sniper rifle (headshot).

I personally like throwing knives (yes, throwing knives! If I don't remember wrong, mobs can't get interrupt if player use throwing knives. At least if player use professional scout and hide-mode. Same is with silencers but those are more sensetive to exposing.).

ok, what about this one.

scenario:

ememy is in a corridor and im behind door at end. i open it and spot him, let of a few rounds then sidestep left behind the wall. next move i sidestep 1 step to 'peep out' and shoot him, simple!

however he gets 1st shot in and empties his heavy machine gun into my man and kills him outright.

You should have closed the door again and backed off....

Then if the poor fool opens the door you should have your backup riddle him full of holes.

Use two men. One opens and closes the door, the other shoots.

Or rig the door with a grenade and shoot it, destroying the door. Have a few men set up beforehand so that they can all shoot the target once the door is destroyed.

• 1 year later...

One of my entry tactics went disastrously wrong. Hyped up on tales of explosive entry, I fixed a mahoosive grenade to a door, thinking "I'll show these bastards."

I backed everyone off, chuckling iwckedly, knowing fine well that once the miniature Fat Man went off, the enemies on the other side of the door would be so much fine paste that I could scrape off the walls and spread on my crackers.

Sniper sets up, sits down, rests rifle on crossed legs in and snaps off a perfect shot. Of course.

Nails the door, and there's that lovely world-is-ending BOOM as the grenade does its stuff.

Cue the door, a massive chunk of wall either side, and of course, the floor and ceiling near the door disintegrating, converted into a cloud of rapidly expanding rubble.

My sniper, exposed to enemies in the rooms below, directly ahead and above. Cue blizzard of SMG fire.

Flowers and sad music time for Ian Accurate.