UFO Extraterrestrials claims it's an official X-Com sequel in it's press release

Cutedge

Upton, MA, February 21st, 2007 - Tri Synergy, Inc. (www.trisynergy.com) has sent word that a new release date has been set for the latest addition to the popular UFO series, UFO: Extraterrestrials. The highly anticipated sequel to an already addictive and innovative series will now be available to gamers on March 16th, 2007.

UFO: Extraterrestrials is set in 2025 on the newly colonized planet Esperanza, where mankind's foray into outer space has a meeting with alien life. However, these extraterrestrials aren't just interested in contact; they're out for blood and riches. In defense of their fledgling outer space outpost, the player is summoned by the Esperanza government to face this threat from deep space. The player will have at their disposal squads of soldiers, light and heavy support combat vehicles, robots and air units located in bases throughout the Esperanza. In addition, UFO: Extraterrestrials combines global strategy with small, squad-based tactical combat against an alien invasion. To repel the alien invasion the player must take full advantage of the terrain and his surrounding environments.

Get more information on UFO: Extraterrestrials from the official Tri Synergy webpage.

Did I miss something here, like the part where they got the rights to X-Com/UFO? I already got in an argument on these forums with one of their devs when I said something about them ripping off Snakemen in their game, and now they apparently have a "UFOPEDIA", but they're going so far as to say it's official in the UFO line? Do you think we're idiots?

(probably still going to buy it, but what the hell)

Well simple answer is they don't have the rights to XCom but unless I missed something too then they never once mention XCom, just UFO... Don't know what they mean by that either really, its not AS, AL related is it?? Point is it can't possibly be an XCom sequel as it doesn't fit the timeline. 2025? TFTD is in the 40s and there is no human colonisation anywhere but Mars for the Elerium mining.

Basically whatever they mean by the UFO series, its certainly nothing to do with XCom!

I know the European release was called UFO, I'm European :( Point is it was called UFO : Enemy Unknown, and none of the rest had the world UFO in the title at all so therefore they can't be talking about that franchise.

It has to be either that they've got confused with UFO or that its just utter nonsense :(