Another 3d remake of UFO:EU

Slaughter

Yeah, I liked the music too! Nice to hear an updated version of the old classic.

Regarding the graphics, what he says he has done in one week is quite impressive. I like the fact that he is using parts of the original game to create this one. Hope he keeps going!

Hi, in case you don't want to register to just read my post, I have registered on this board to quote myself in this thread :)

Hi, I'm a 26y.o. programmer from Belgium. I am also an XCom:Ufo game lover, and with a lot of you waiting for a real remake. I have respect for all people doing XCom-alike remakes. But I want the real thing, with the sectoids, snakemen, heavy plasma, destructable environment, screaming, creepy music, etc.

I waited for over 10 years now, and that was long enough to say, if nobody does this exact copy 3d remake, I'm going to create my own game. I don't care about intellectual property, because I'm not going to make my game public, when it is finished, you can come to my place and play it if you want. You can compare it with people building an airplane model - they put a lot of time and effort in making it, but it will never really be used to play a lot with it, or to sell it, but they can put pictures of it online, and tell about how they made it, and how much free time they put into it

I started just a week ago with the tactical part. (the game has 2 seperate EXE file, the tactical and geoscape program-just like the original! )

The tactical part can now read the original MCD files, so every single object of the original game will be in here, but modelled in 3D. It reads the original MAP files, so the blocks of which the tactical levels are created, will be exactly the same as the original game. Every object that was destroyable in the original game will be destroyable in XCom:Ufo3D ofcourse.

It is real 3D, but the funny part is, I use a orthogonal projection for my camera, so it looks like an isometric game. Some extra's that I have with the 3D is, there are lighting and shadows and particle effects, like fire, smoke and explosions.

I used the original XCom soundtracks (both ufo defense and tftd music, because I liked the tftd music very much), but I reworked them with some up-to-date instruments instead of plain MIDI.

In the background will also be ambient sounds, like distant animal sounds(dogs,owls), wind, etc, depending on the terrain type.

I have put a screenshot online. Note that I am not a graphical artist! I ripped the body mesh, created a some simple objects, just to test my A* pathfinding algorithm, loading of maps and objects. I can make the character walk around (pathfinding is a lot better than the original), look around, scroll the screen, so it is just an early stage.

You will also notice that I use the Irrlicht engine to do the graphics.

https://www.djxanto.be/xcomufo3d.jpg

I'm going to get some experienced artist to get all the 3d models finished, every alien and object will have to be extactly modelled as the original game, upto the smallest detail.

If you want to know how the refurbished music will sound like, I put up an example of a geoscape track (originally from tftd).

https://www.djxanto.be/xcomufo3d-geo1.mp3

That's all folks!

I just wanted to share this with you guys. You can give comments or ask questions if you want. If people are interested I will post updates on the progress of my little home project.

Tom.

PS. I don't have website yet. But I will communicate it to both xcomufo and strategycore forums once it is online, so people can follow my progress and I don't have to update both threads.