X-com Reborn

benjob

Heh. xcom.com.au is registered to "Xcom computer technology", new south wales, australia. Just a red herring, I assume.

I don't think so. The titlebar is too coincidental for that. XCOM Genesis coming in 2007? If it just said XCOM coming in 2007 I'd agree with you, but Genesis was the last X-Com game announced, and it is way too much of a coincidence for this computer corporation to be talking about something called 'XCOM Genesis.'

My guess is that this is an attempt at viral marketing. Like that whole ilovebees thing from Halo, or the Portal flash with the cake is a lie.

Edit: A quick glance at the .au page's source reveals that it is in fact calling upon a frame for a site called www.Xcom.com. However, this site simply appears the same as the other .au one except sans X-Com Genesis title. There appear to be no links to further data, however.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xcom.com has been registered at least since 2000, however. And is registered to an all-to-anonymous holding company. Hmm.

xcom.com.au is new. Registered earlier this month. But anyone knowing enough to register xcom.com.au would also know enough to know about Genesis.

Anyone know how to search in australian company registries? :(

Ah well. We'll find out.

Domain Name: xcom.com.au

Last Modified: 03-Feb-2007 22:21:27 UTC

Registrar ID: R00015-AR

Registrar Name: NetRegistry

Registrant: Chan Arnold

Registrant ID:

Eligibility Type: Registered Business

Eligibility Name: XCOM COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY

Eligibility ID: NSW BN BN97964960

Registrant ROID: C4770752-AR

Registrant Contact Name: Arnold Chan

Registrant Email: Visit whois.ausregistry.com.au for Web based WhoIs

Tech ID: C1150948-AR

Tech Name: Chan Arnold

Tech Email: Visit whois.ausregistry.com.au for Web based WhoIs

Name Server: b.dnsvr.com

Name Server: d.dnsvr.com

I managed to pull up a bit more info on the domain owner: Our "Arnold Chan" has an email address of "admin@midnightslayer.com", while "Chan Arnold" is "xcomdomain@yahoo.com".

While the yahoo address is so much rubbish as far as I'm concerned, the midnightslayer address seems to be even more useless. Sure, there's a web server on the domain, but it's pretty uninspiring.

Running a WhoIs on that new domain, I see it was created 13th May '04, and is due to run out on the same date this year. So perhaps this new xcom.com.au site is going to replace it?

I also got these contact details:

XCOM Technology Centre

Chan Arnold (xcomdomain@yahoo.com)

842 Botany Rd

Mascot

NSW 2020

AU

Tel. +61283389667

"XCOM Technology Centre" brings up lots of Google hits, the first of which is our original match, "xcom.com.au" (which includes no mention of "XCOM Technology Centre"). But it's all enough to verify that it's a real company with nothing to do with our game. Check out this page for a review of one of the products they sell.