The best fire?

Hmm, the situation. Well lets say during the game you can only get one type of shot. So if you choose auto-shot you can only use autoshot during the game and any weapons which are not auto-shot compatible you can not use. (Same goes for snap and aimed, although I can't think of any weapon that is not combatible with snap and auto, besides maybe a stun rod :( )

well... what is the situation?

It could be anything. Examples:

• Standing next to a muton with nothing but a laser pistol, and there's no way of escaping.
  • Shooting at an alien 40 tiles away.
  • You find a very tight cluster of aliens.
  • There's this one very annoying alien that you simple must kill now or else it's all over (Chryssalid, Sectoid Commander, etc), it's standing at a medium distance away from your troops. This could go either way, mind.
  • You have a number of completely exhausted troops standing next to an alien, and the only soldiers that can shoot at it are quite a long distance away. Any small margin of error can mean instant death.
  • Etcetera

Other factors to take into account:

• The number of soldiers you have and the map positions they currently holding.
  • The condition of your soldiers
  • How much of your resources you are willing to spend (Ammo, time units, etc)
  • The type of aliens you are fighting and size of their forces.
  • Your current disposition. Are you feeling extra gratuitous today? :(
  • etcetera

It changes all the time.

- NKF

P.S: DG1, look what you've done. Now I want a stun rod with burst fire. Man.... you could knock out a sectopod with two stun-rod bursts! :(

P. P. S: (Blatant advertisement) For those who, for reasons unknown, want to see my older avatars again, hit my www link (I think it works now...). Just updated it with 7 of my more recent avatars.

I use all of them, but actually, it depends on the situation.

Aimed Shot: Always the best, most of the time you get a sure hit. The only problem is that it uses a lot of TUs.

High accuracy, 1 bullet.

Snap Shot: My alternative choice if I don't have enough TUs to make an Aimed Shot.

Average accuracy, 1 bullet.

Auto Shot: This is the one I use the least, mainly because of its accuracy. However, it DOES come in handy in close combat situations, or when you have more than one alien in your line of fire. Eg. I once used Auto in a Terror mission (in UFO) to shot at a Cyberdisc; the attack didn't kill it, but it did shot down a Sectoid who was right behind it, and the funny thing is that my character hadn't sighted the Sectoid yet, I just heard him scream! :(

Low accuracy, 3 bullets.

Later in the game, Auto shot, definately.

Earlier on, when ammo for rifles is sparse, I would use snap shots.

But anyway, ages ago, NKF did a calculation, and with the heavy plasma anyway (and most weapons), an auto-shot is more likely to hit than a single shot as a % probability.

I very rarely use aimed shots. I don't think they are worth the TUs you use up. Also, with the heavy plasma which my entire squad end up using, it's a waste, because, especially with the more experience troop, auto-shots can have near 100% accuracy. That's 3 shots instead of 1 for 1/2 the TUs :(

And JMan, you're wrong. I generally use snap shots for oppurtunity fire, but auto-shots do work.