Need help

Saber123

how do you play ufo properly i mean i lose about 5 to 4 guys a mission and thats with useing a smoke grenade on my exits moveing in groups and so on useing cover and useing a hwp as a block between my men and aliens.

what do i do

it was a little funny when i got mad and used all rockets on sectoids though :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :tank:

1. Don't get caught in the blast radius of the rockets! :tank:

2. If you see an alien, kill it in that turn (gang up if you have to).

3. Don't bunch up! A grenade can wipe out the squad!

4. Get lasers, armour, and medikits ASAP.

5. Take cover. If you can't fire then hide, just hide and allow squadmate to fire.

6. Throw grenades where you think there may be an alien. Don't walk up on an alien who is hiding with full TU's and get shot.

7. Use proximity grenades to cover your flank, and to boobytrap doors.

8. Use snipers to fire from outside the alien's line of sight. They can't react to what they can't see.

9. Use auto shot, the accuracy is lower per shot, but you get three shots which more than offsets this.

10 Use 4 Rookies to scout instead of the HWP. They are cheaper to replace :devil: , can have more fire power, and can cover more ground as a group than can a single HWP.

For the sectiod use prox. grenades, hide and wait for a Boom.

In the terror sites go from building to building and clear them as you go. Try to push the aliens toward a corner of the map, don't just move around randomly. Sniper tactics are very useful for clearing out a street when an alien is spotted.

be more specific i lost ten men to your tactics. i even thourg grenades around corners to get the odd alien well guess what i killed more damn civvies then anything and also this is funny

ok i thourgh a grenade and put it to 1 for delay and a alien thourgh one at me with zero so um yeah he died and i lost a man actually i would have set it to 0 but i slipped

Don't use the prox grenade unless you know that an alien will walk out(saw him come out then hide). This cuts down on civilian casualties and accidents with soldiers. Remember; don't rush. Try to secure the immediate area and take up firing positions with snipers. They slowly work your way across the map. You can still get a positive score with half the civilians dead but not if the squad is wiped out.

Read this and try it at the beginning of the mission....

2002. DISEMBARKING TACTICS

2002.1. THE FRONT ROW FIRETEAM

The fireteams that are the first to deploy have one of the most hazardous duties on the

battlefield. Upon landing their immediate task is to eliminate any hostile opposition that

is directly facing the ramp of the transport. Their actions are determined by the following

list of conditions:

#1. Enemy in front of the ramp and directly looking at it - fire one round them move one square

to the front and another to the next to the side to clear the ramp. If there isn't any read #2.

#2. Enemy in front of the ramp but facing another direction - do not fire to avoid reaction shots

that might hit personnel inside the transport! (unless they have already fired) - move one square

to the front and another to the side to clear the ramp and read #3.

#3. Enemy on another location and facing the ramp. Fire one/two rounds but make sure that

there's enough TUs to clear the square right next to the ramp by moving to another direction.

#4. Enemy on another location but not facing the ramp. Engage only after all enemies on #1, #2

and #3 have been eliminated. If there are several hostiles then engage first the dangerous one -

the closest and heavily armed.

#5. No hostiles visible near the transport - the soldiers should start scouting the area near

the Skyranger.

Of course the problem with facing a Sectoid terror mission at the beginning of the game are the Cyberdisks and your soldiers getting mind controlled... for the Cyberdisks try to use lasers or rocket launchers on them.

You might also give a read at the X-Com Field Manual thread on the UFO forum, there's a lot of good advice there.

Hi,

Just like Jman said, when you are in defence mode, save your TU and set snap shot while doing that so you can get a faster shot than the aliens when they passed by or approached you. Another benefit is that you can get another shots or move away if the automatic response shot is missed. I often caught aliens who were going to throw their grenades at my troop. Of course, it detonated after they collapsed. At the end of every turn, make sure you have enough TU for your snap shot. I don't see you can lost a mission unless you were in one very unlucky situaton. On the other hand, if you suspect that an enemy is in the near corner and probably spent its TU, you want to jump in to finish it. Or else, it could be a big threat. Not much to say, it is a fun game. Sometimes you win, sometime you lose. If you plan well, you usually win.

BL.

There are many ways to get good at the game. But the best way to get good at it is to have lots of patience and to try and try again.

Sit back and review your tactics. What are you doing wrong and why do each of your strategies get royally stuffed? Think of alternate methods of approaching your problem, etc.

Your weapons (laser rifles, right?) are currently sufficient to take on anything the aliens can throw at you. But your soldiers are still susceptible to the sectoid leader's psionics. In cases like this, having a HWP scout (immune to psi) is a lot better than 4 rookies (a mixed bag of psionic skills). Use the HWPs to spot the enemy, but have your soldiers behind it do all the shooting wherever possible.

You might also want to take this into consideration: If you're playing on superhuman, the rocket tank needs an average of at least three HWP rockets to knock out a cyberdisc. A large rocket fired from the handheld rocket launcher can normally do the same with only one.

For taking on ordinary UFOs -- try to engage most of the enemies outside the UFO rather than putting your troops at risk by fighting inside the UFO. Because most aliens in UFO tend to wander about when they aren't shooting at anyone, they'll all eventually end up walking out of the ship. It's better to fight the aliens on the turf of your choosing rather than theirs. And as only one alien can walk out most UFO doors at a time...

While waiting for the aliens to exit the UFO, you can set up a rather large reaction fire team outside the UFO. The larger number of soldiers watching the door will mean that you'll get off many more opportunity shots than the aliens can. The crossfire is also rather impressive. Fast firing weapons are recommended for reaction fire purposes.

More deployment tips:

Use a motion scanner if you have one. The readings can be erroneous in terror sites with all the civilian blips, but its still useful nonetheless. Anyway, if you wait a turn without disembarking, pull out the scanner and scan the area. Look for the nearby blips. If you see any, pass a rocket/small launcher to the front and fire it or arm a very powerful explosive and toss it down to a spot as close to the blip as possible. This generally takes care of the alien. Blaster launchers are even more effective, but only once you get them.

Mines are also good if you like to spend a few turns preparing yourself in the Skyranger. Just don't place one on the ramp itself, and make sure you put it off to the side so your soldiers can still disembark from the other side of the ramp without setting it off.

If you have a HWP in front, you can still toss grenades over it. You just have to throw further. The minimum throwable distance seems to vary from soldier to soldier.

- NKF

HIDE HIDE HIDE! See that hedge over there, kneel behind it. See that building over there, hide in it. See that cyberdisc, use everything you can(without leaving your men open to fire) to take it down (they explode, and are sometimes near sectoids). A soldier is only good when he is alive, two are even better, soldiers in pairs can cover each other. On a final note: experiment with different tactics, aliens differ in their abilities, from the strong muttons to the psionic ethereals and even flying floaters, experimentation is the key to success. Find a tactic that works and use it

Get your skyranger to the ufo ASAP. Send it out at the same time as your interceptors. The faster you get to the UFO the more aliens will still be inside and will not come at you from places you'd never expect.

Also, develop a special tactic per ufo type. There aren't that many kinds of ufo's so that shouldn't be too hard. Enter the ufo from multiple entrances at the same time to prevent any aliens from escaping.

Alien placement on a map is random*, it's not determined by the amount of time the ship's been on the ground.

For terror sites, it's odd, but the aliens will patiently wait for you to arrive before they start firing on the civilians. Something about X-Com makes the aliens trigger happy. They'll also wait patiently for any X-Com ships to arrive too, even after the terror site's original duration is over. Rather polite of them, wouldn't you say? :tank:

So yes, wait for daylight whenever possible. Night or twilight just reduces your maximum visible range, but not the aliens, so they'll be able to use reaction fire on you before you can see them. If you can't help it, use the electro flares. Throw them far out (out of your light radius) rather than nearby, as you can still see a little bit into the darkness.

Of course, if you're playing the Amiga version of UFO, I'm told there aren't any night missions...

- NKF

* Pseudo-random would describe this better. Each map block (that's each of those 10x10 tile areas. There are a few larger ones, but the 10x10 areas are a standard size) has a certain number of predefined points where an alien (or X-Com soldiers for that matter, but let's not get into that) can appear. The game can randomly place aliens at any of these points. You might actually notice a pattern in the way some of the aliens always seem to appear at the same spots, like floaters always seem to spawn in the upper floor of a barn, etc. It helps if you can remember some of the more popular starting locations.

Yes, be sure to do a terror sight in day light. Had a recent mission against floaters and they killed about 6 of my guys. I had two of them in a clearing about 20 tiles away and they were picking my men off before I could spot them. I finally threw in a bunch of prox. grenades and retreated a little. In a few turns they tried to follow and BOOM!

PS: I've noticed that there is almost always a floater in the top corner of the one room barn. They also are in the smallest room in the other barn and on top of it.

I never do night missions, it makes missions literally 2 or 3 times harder. Although I do not find dawn/dusk such a bad idea, the sight is not as much as a problem. In the case of night/dawn/dusk missions do not play aggressivly if possible, make them come to you in every way you can.

(And of course it is even better for grenades in the less-light situation)

During that floater mission I couldn't even get more than 10m from the skyranger. Put about 4 men long one of those fences and sent a rookie to draw fire so I could know where to throw grenades. Took every rookie in the squad but I eventually found all of the aliens and saved I think 1 civilian.