What Is The Best Weapon In UFO?

Jman4117

Just imagine your hometown is the innocent victim of alien terror!

Now do you want to see a bunch of rag tag cowboys packing pistols and rifles?

Not me, that's a fact!

I want the Best defense money can buy.

When the troops land they'll be suited in armor and packing HEAVY PLASMA!

When they leave with the spoils of their victory the survivors of the city will say to each other "That truly was a fine group of well disciplined and well armed young soldiers"

Sopwith Camels didn't win the Battle of Britain nor were there Spitfires in the skies over the Falklands.

Technology, its how your reading this now.

I was going to write a long response, with references to panzers, winter and Hogan's Heroes (no, don't ask) and whatnot. But I decided a succinct response would seem less patronising and confrontational (none intended, by the way).

Technology's good. But the ability to use it well (or to use it at all, in some cases, such as computers - 'where's the on button?' ) and achieve desireable results is just as important, if not more.

I mean, if an old granny with a shopping bag can incapacitate the ethereal high lord supreme generalissimo commander, that would be great. Grand even. If a hulking mound of technological junk weilding the ultimate deathray cannot even survive against a crippled and unarmed sectoid, well... er, it just wouldn't be right. ;)

I've got a cliche phrase in my head, but I cannot find the right words. Something about sweat and hard work being 99% of the battle or somesuch. Blast. Never mind then.

- NKF

I do apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my lame attempt at being cute and simply have voted, Heavy Plasma.

To roughly quote the baron of swamp castle in the Holy Grail "let's not argue and bicker about who killed who."

If the Hogan's Heroes response is as good as the succinct response, I vote for it too.

Unless you don't mention Sgt Schultz, he was my favorite character.

With out prejudice or malice,

Sincerely

Pfc_ Wintergreene

https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/laugh.gif

No one has taken any offense, and I doubt anyone has intended any.

Yes Uncle NKF! Tell us about Hogan's Heroes! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/oh.gif

Have you guys ever read The War of The Worlds? They had all the technology the 1890's had to offer them and yet were losing the war until the aliens started dying from the simple, earthly bacteria!

Point in case, if you come face to face with a Sectoid... sneeze on him!! ;)

Hah, I should've come back to this thread sooner when the idea was still fresh in my mind. Now I know nothing. Nooothing!

It was probably something to do with tank platoons (or maybe giant guided rocket launchers) being ineffective because of a few simple actions by a small group of guerrilas or some such silly nonsense. In the context of Hogan's Heroes it would've been they had Commandant Klink. ;)

As for tank platoons and winter, I recall reading somewhere, or maybe someone told me, that one of the battles in WWII was lost by the Germans even though they had superior firepower (or rather numbers) but were forced to march home in the cold because their tanks were rendered useless by the winter. I'm not too good with my history so this is probably just hearsay.

- NKF

P. S: Stalingrad. The Russians would've been crushed had the Germans invested in some antifreeze. Instead, their tanks were rendered useless. Because they couldn't get in reinforcements, the German soldiers had to get back home on foot and were harassed by the Cossacks with their horses and sabres.

The heavy plasma will always be my standard equipment.

It is usually wielded by my standards, as it is relatively light-weight, powerful, fairly accurate, and it can be found littering the ground on every battlefield.

My scouts/snipers will be outfitted with Plasma rifles. These will be the only people to have grenades.

My HWs are usually turned into scouts at this point, capable of traveling vast distances in a single turn.

Finally, the lazy buggers in the Avenger never move. They sit and mind control aliens all day. Tis sporty to them. On occasion one of them will shoulder his mighty Blaster Launcher and blow a barn into oblivion, my troops are usually more devastating to the area than the aliens. Need illumination? BAH! Use the blaster bomb to ensure that nothing is there.

Tip: get flying armor for everyone and blast a hole in the roof of the larger craft. (Supply Craft, Battleship) So much easier to simply shoot the aliens in the back as you come down, and when they finally catch on you send your backup force in the front door... :devil:

• 4 weeks later...