UFO: Aftershock English demo available !!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

Kriptor - they are definitely screens from fan contests that ALTAR has run. We still don't know what a Wargot ill look like yet :P

On a slightly unrelated note, the next person to contact this site and say they're not going to buy "our" game (they seem to be under the mistaken impression that Slaughter and I are ninja-coders) because of StarForce copy protection is going to feel my boot up their behind.

Anyone reading this thread wishing to make a complaint about this particular topic can go to www.cenega.com (publisher's site) or www.ufo-aftershock.com (official game site) and get their message across there.

We will provide as much support as we can about the game once it's released and we have a copy, but we'll likely only be able to suggest basic fixes and suggestions. We can't get entire portions recoded for anyone :)
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#42 Tycow

Tycow

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

Pete, on 16th October 2005, 10:02am, said:

Kriptor - they are definitely screens from fan contests that ALTAR has run. We still don't know what a Wargot ill look like yet :)

On a slightly unrelated note, the next person to contact this site and say they're not going to buy "our" game (they seem to be under the mistaken impression that Slaughter and I are ninja-coders) because of StarForce copy protection is going to feel my boot up their behind.

Anyone reading this thread wishing to make a complaint about this particular topic can go to www.cenega.com (publisher's site) or www.ufo-aftershock.com (official game site) and get their message across there.

We will provide as much support as we can about the game once it's released and we have a copy, but we'll likely only be able to suggest basic fixes and suggestions. We can't get entire portions recoded for anyone :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry mate, I saw starforce, and my preorder is still waiting there. No changes here because I want this game really badly :P

Well done devs :)

#43 Rezed

Rezed

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:36 PM

Me too, this game is simply from heaven :P

Devs made one hell of a goooooood job :] This is my 3rd game fromaltar and each one is better and better (1st:Original war(great RTS), 2nd UFO:AM and now it will be AS )

#44 Sophocles

Sophocles

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

In the english mission at street level when you reach the building there is a series of broken glass doors (only frames standing). I had a slodier from one side but couldn't see or shoot an alien standing from the other.

Has anyone noticed other similar issues??

#45 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

Pete, Slaughter and Thorondor are in the credits! :P
Posted Image

#46 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

I'm hoping they also make a special appearance as aliens so we can blast'em to pieces :devil:
There's always some dirt to dig out

#47 Stiltman

Stiltman

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

Man this is a great deamo.. been playing around with it for like long time.. :P
looking forward for the release.

though is there anyone more than me that wish they had more ammo.. like for the M4...
and maybe had like a couple of more of the weapons that is in the demo..

#48 ziggy5540

ziggy5540

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

This demo is reminding me so much of the Evil Genious Demo a while back. I spent SO much time on that demo, and dug deeper into it than it was intended.
So far in this demo I am LOVING the fact that research actualy means something. When you research things (like the earth folklore) you see a sceen like the one at the beginning and in some there are even movies (although they crash the game due to their absence).
There is SO much cool stuff in this game that I am getting it, and maybe even willing to import it so I can get it sooner.

Thanks Altar for the demo, not too happy about the wait for it to come here to North Americal though. BAD Cenega! Bad monkey!

#49 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:09 AM

Hehe, nice one ziggy, glad you're liking it and importing it nevertheless :P

#50 Stefan100

Stefan100

Gone member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

Very good demo! Great job ALTARians. Sad I can't play it any more...
Back from the void

#51 ricardo440

ricardo440

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

I have been looking forward to this game for ages.

Some things that look GREAT from the demo,

The ability to define different squads and then select which one to take. AND those squads can have the same trooers in. So you can set up the VS. Mutants weapons the VS reticuland weapons, the VS.. And you don't have to keep changing them.

When a missile blew up and my guys flew across the floor, that was great.

The resource element looks like you have to balance all your expenditure on the infrastructure to even get the resources in the first place.

Diplomacy

Things which will suck:
The bloody voices. They will so be turned off after 5 minutes.
I still have the feeling that after a few missions because you can only have 7 men max, and training is so detailed taking casualties is going to be non acceptable. I used to like the old X-coms Darwinian approach to squad selection.

"the kid has some moves, give him a squad, see what he can do"

Anyway I look forward to getting my copy.

#52 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

ricardo440, on 17th October 2005, 1:43pm, said:

I still have the feeling that after a few missions because you can only have 7 men max, and training is so detailed taking casualties is going to be non acceptable. I used to like the old X-coms Darwinian approach to squad selection.

"the kid has some moves, give him a squad, see what he can do"

Anyway I look forward to getting my copy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you there, I think the training system and the 7 men limit is still a huge mistake (I know many will disagree), I think the old X-Com system would have been much much better.
Posted Image

#53 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:19 PM

The problem I find with the X-COM system is that it's NOT Darwinian by any stretch of the imagination.

My experience with Superhuman shows that once you get a fair way through the game, your elite commander is just as likely to die as a noob rookie. It's all down to accuracy of the aliens and a fair bit of pot luck with how your Skyranger is loaded out.

Also, as soon as you get the aliens using psionics in X-COM, you'll find your own guys - even high-up members of your squad - turning on each other until you have enough research and the correct facilities to create your own psi-squad.

There is no natural selection. There is only death. I'm 16 months through the game and have been through around six commanders, my latest surviving by hiding on board the Avenger right at the back whilst everyone else checks out the scenery. He's ready to back them up at a moment's notice I'm sure... though he does tend to sit in the pilot's seat a lot and make sure the engine's still running for some reason... :P

Anyway... back to the demo...

A Reticulan was shooting some green blob at me. I was pleased to see that closing down the distance on this homing-shot meant that it couldn't turn a tight enough circle to hit. and blew the Reticulan to shreds with a couple of shotguns. Did make me wonder about the usefulness of the Reticulan weapon though - I could pause the game and dodge it nine times out of ten... I'm assuming they have some more deadly kit as well, but already I'm forming tactics :)

#54 Tycow

Tycow

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Pete, on 17th October 2005, 5:19pm, said:

A Reticulan was shooting some green blob at me. I was pleased to see that closing down the distance on this homing-shot meant that it couldn't turn a tight enough circle to hit. and blew the Reticulan to shreds with a couple of shotguns. Did make me wonder about the usefulness of the Reticulan weapon though - I could pause the game and dodge it nine times out of ten... I'm assuming they have some more deadly kit as well, but already I'm forming tactics :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw one do that, it fired it in a parabolic arc over something at my guys, that shocked me! Thought that was cool :P

#55 infael

infael

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

the demo file size is 0 kb. where can i get the demo?

#56 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

infael, on 17th October 2005, 11:19pm, said:

the demo file size is 0 kb. where can i get the demo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 kb? It's just a link to the Cenega site. Anyway, you can find many mirrors here.

#57 mike9o

mike9o

Sergeant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:03 AM

Has anyone else had the game re-set their monitor to its lowest screen refresh rate (43 Hertz in my case) after you exit the game?    :P

Or have muckstars make one final shot after they're dead?   :)

Great demo, and the strategic part looks much more fleshed out.  I 'm sure that Aftershock will do even better than Aftermath and allow ALTAR to do another great game in the UFO universe!    :)

PS: You can also download the demo from Happypuppy.com.

#58 Stiltman

Stiltman

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:29 AM

Well i have finaly pre-ordered my copy.. yay.. looking forward to get it.  :P

#59 Gungadin

Gungadin

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

Question: Since the "cyborg" and "psionic" traits seem to be available for training, is it possible to train regular humans into cyborgs or psionics? And will it then be possible to train males into cyonics and women into cyborgs?

#60 Stefan100

Stefan100

Gone member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:47 AM

As far as I know the psionic training is only avaliable for psionics and cyborg training only avaliable for cyborgs.
Back from the void

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users