Graphic card

Kizmiaz

I have a feeling it has no direct connection to any part of the computer in particular - it must be non-optimal coding. Or it's just this much data to process becouse of all the line-of-sight calculations (terrain modeling).

People with all kinds of comps are having the same problems as I do with my old junk, that's why I think it's not really linked to the computer.

Hi all! Finally I've decided to look what this UFO series is and I must say I've changed my attitude completely. I didn't play Aftermath and didn't want to bother to, but now I see this game (Aftershock at least) has much of it's spiritual precursor (even though it is not truly turn-based), so I'm all into it now.

Well, enough of this preamble, the reason I post here is that I fear I have some problems with the vid. The specs are following: AMD2500+, 512 RAM, Radeon 9200 (Sapphire Atlantis 9200SE). The game runs smoothly (not counting a bit long loading times - around 10 to 15 seconds when loading tactical map) on highest settings (BTW, 1024*768 is the only resolution(as said in the FAQ) or not?) with shaders turned on. But the last is the problem from what I can understand. They are not displayed alltogether. For example (I think I can post some shot later) the capsule is displayed completely different from what I've seen on the shots. Besides, what is more important, the LOS button is greyed out and the indication of line of sight is therefore not working. I fear that different view modes besides normal wouldn't be available either (although I haven't got any equipment yet, so I can't confirm that). The card itself is capable of working with 2.0 shaders which I think is used in the game and the driver version is 5.1 Catalyst (the later caused some problems so I've had to draw back to this one).

So I wonder whether someone experienced the same problems and what could possibly be done to fix them? Or does that card lack something really serious (although functionally it should be the same as 9600 or 9800 series) so it will not display properly? :cool:

Your shaders are most likely turned off. I wasn't even able to start the game (when I started a new game it crashed immediately) while my shaders were turned on and I have a Radeon 9600Pro. It's a shame, really, since shaders do play a visually and play-wise an important (but not crucial) part in the game.

That is most likely. Hmm, how to turn them on then? (In game they are turned on, of course) 5.1 Version of Catalyst offers Control panel that requires .net framework. I don't want to install it simply for having a neat looking settings window. Well, I think it's time to Google out some other prog.

• 11 months later...
Sure this post is dead, but I'd like to add something for thos playing on older cards. When I first got Aftershock, I was using an MX4000 128mb card. I could still play it and pretty good at that. I couldn't axtually see any of the people that talked, or the mutants, or even my own guys they was just white sillouhetes, but I could still play it. Was pretty fun even being that bad off, but after a week I stoped and waited till I got a new card last week a 7600GS, and now wow.. the game is awesome looking. :)