Tactical retreat.

Dalerian

In X-Com1, there'd be missions to capture a certain unit (primarily psi-capable critters). In this, I'd run in, stun the target, grab it, and often run back to the transport and bail - complete with body.

In Apoc, I can't see how to do this.

Yes, I can stun a critter with a stun grapple. When I do, though, the body doesn't seem to be on the ground to grab.

Do I have to neutralise every alien in a map in order to capture one?

Exactly. The only way to capture an alien is to successfully secure the map. Not the best way of doing things, I admit, but that's just how the game turned out. I for one would've enjoyed the prospect of nabbing a popper and hauling it off the map at great speeds. :blush:

Tip: Standing on top of an alien will keep them stunned indefinitely - or you can manually attack them with a stun grapple.

- NKF

• 8 months later...
Tip: Standing on top of an alien will keep them stunned indefinitely - or you can manually attack them with a stun grapple.

- NKF

If only I had known that atanding on top of them worked like this! ARGH!

I used devote a whole squad of soldiers to just manually stunnning the unconscious enemies. :eh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
sorry to break this to u but standing on top of em is not always the best plan, works best for all except poppers, once the popper is stuned its safe but one the stun is due to wear off it blows up even if ur not on it, the best plan here is to have one soldier to stand by the popper always watching it and with a stun grapple keep fireing on it every now and then to renew the stun effect, its the alien counter measure to standing on live bodies, as for stunning em use marsec packs to fly bout 5 or 4 lvls up (need big area for this) then the popper will just stand around under you then just drop a stun grenade and wait, more offen than not it will be stunned easy then just keep stunning it untill u win the battle, sum larger ones like megaspawn u may want to post 2 soldiers on it since it can be hard to know when ur standing on such a large body, as u may know toxi guns are not good when stunning as they cause critical wounds every time so the creature would eventually die, hope this is useful to u

I've had a somewhat different experience with the poppers. But of course, game experiences will vary from player to player.

The few times that they have exploded was when the popper had a critical wound (which, granted, can't always be detected with a stunned unit), or when my soldier was stupid enough to walk off the body. This often happens if the soldier is not set to aggressive, or when another soldier pushes into the agent and the agents decides to step aside to let the other pass. Otherwise, I've had soldiers keep a popper down for an entire mission while the others cleared out the UFO.

If you're really unsure, wait until later in the game before capturing the popper and wear a full suit of X-Com armour. Your armour will survive the blast, so you probably don't want to carry a shield - unless you're got another soldier a short way away with a spare disrupter shield.

As for your large units - you only need to stand on any one of its quarters and it'll stay down. If you want to be sure you're standing on it, open up your overhead map and order your agent to move onto the large blip that represents the megaspawn or psimorph that you want to keep down. That should avoid any confusion.

- NKF