Roboraptor - Jurassic Park in your living room...

Slaughter

These robotic friends are becoming very popular, aren't they?  Puppies, humanoids, and now dinosaurs...are they taking over?

Yep. Terminator, Matrix and all the other movies are just visions of a possible future. Even if they don't start thinking themselves, we are very dependent on machines. It may easily get overboard...

@Strong Bob: Hehe, yep, stupid discussion. FA and myself will stop now :)

Yep. Terminator, Matrix and all the other movies are just visions of a possible future. Even if they don't start thinking themselves, we are very dependent on machines. It may easily get overboard...

I've always wondered how far off that sort of thing is. It does seem ridiculous, but I can't see anyone in the future going "Ok boys, that's enough technology. Back to nature and real women for a while."

Although it does always remind me of that episode of Futurama where Mom's Friendly Robot Company™ rebels.

"Take over Earth, us bastards"

Good question. I think it will come FAR. People that say "No use in studying faster than light travel because it is impossible" will never invent faster than light travel. Those are the same kind of idiots that said "We'll never find a way to fly" a long time ago. How I'd love to kick one of them off a cliff :)

Anyway, going away for the weekend now. Have fun here, and behave! :)

Or perhaps the same people that said, around the 1950s I think, that black people were incapable of holding their breath underwater for the same amount of time as a white person because their brains were too small and needed more oxygen to function as well?

Here's a word of advice. Research facts, then listen to theories. In 20 years, you'll be surprised how much of our current science is a load of crap.

as good as faster than light travel would be, well need to invent faster than light sight first so that you can see whats behind you!

Einstein imagined himself sat on a beam of light looking in a mirror, He deduced that he would never see his reflection as it would not be able to reach the mirror.

In the same vain, if he turned round, I think he would have seen an endless string of Einstiens stretching out behind him, as the light from his own image would be travelling at the same speed as him, hence he would llok back and see all his states at any given moment at once. think on that for a moment, its great fun! :)

We already know that gravity waves travel faster than light, so the light barrier isn't as absolute as Einstein thought a century ago.

Of course, there will be some weird effects, just like there is with sound. When a jet fighter streaks past, the sound appears to be emanating from a point some way behind the aircraft.

The doppler effect would be a problem. The light waves from stars in front of you would be so scrunched up that the radiation could become a serious hazard.

This reminds me of that joke in which King Edward I led an army to invade Scotland. At the border, they saw a Scottish warrior on top of a hill and he started shouting abuse at the English.

The king was enraged, so he sent his best knight out to teach the Scotsman a lesson in manners. They dissappeared behind the hill and after the sound of some fighting, the Scotsman went back to the top of the hill and started shouting more abuse before ducking down behind the hill again.

The king then ordered ten soldiers to go and teach the Scotsman a lesson in manners. When the sound of fighting died sown, the Scotsman went to the top of the huill, shouted more abuse at the English and ducked down behind the hill again.

This time, the king decided to settle matters once and for all. He sent over half his army against the Scotsman. The fighting from behind the hill went on for over an hour.

Eventually one wounded soldier staggered back to report to his king. "Sire, it's a trap. There's two of them"

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but if we're going to be slating Jurassic Park, we need all the facts.

Firstly, Michale Crichton wrote the book before the film. READ THIS BOOK. Makes the film even less enjoyable when you read what could have been :angry:

And, if it's not already been mentioned, a billiionaire would muchrather call his dinosaur theme park Jurassic Park than Cretaceous Park. Jurassic just sounds better and will pull in more punters :)

Crichton's books have been fodder for filmmakers for decades ('The Andromeda Strain' was one of his, I think) and although his books are good, I've never found his characters to be particularly 'human'. He writes like a scientist struggling to write fiction.

And I think Cretaceous Park would do just fine, if Jurassic Park had never existed. :angry:

The sequel's also pretty good. The first JP book had some tenuous ties to the film, but The Lost World is 97% different to the second film!

The Lost World had some cool chameleon dinosaurs that blended in perfectly with their background. Crichton raised an interesting link with Chameleons there, and at the same time created an even scarier foe (though they didn't get too much mention in teh book - the raptors were still the deadliest enemy).

The first book does rock though, when the lawyer uses Muldoon's mini-launcher and blows the leg of a Raptor. Muldoon's a LOT better kitted out in the book :angry: