UFO: Aftershock goes mobile

Slaughter

Cenega Publishing and Redboss Ltd. announced today that they are bringing UFO: Aftershock to mobile devices. It is developed using the Java technology (J2ME), so anyone with a mobile phone, smart phone or PDA supporting it can play. It is expected to be released in the fourth quarter of 2005 - not so long after the game is released on PC. You can find more details in the press release at the Cenega site.

Looking at it's release, I'm fairly sure that this will be a simple java game only using the Aftershock name. I don't think you should expect a Pocket PC UFO sort of game. Probably more of a "Tetris named UFO: Aftershock" type :P

"I would love it if they had made it possible to transfer a saved game across to a PDA so you can play it on the train."

I no longer own a PDA, but if I did I'd surely love to have that possibility as well, Accounting troll. It would also encourage people to buy both PC and mobile versions of the game.

::

But I guess we should be concerning ourselves with the possibility that the game might lose its propriety in the translation first and foremost. It would be a terrible waste, and a game such as UFO: Aftershock deserves better than j-lobotomy 101... :P

"I would love it if they had made it possible to transfer a saved game across to a PDA so you can play it on the train."

Would be great if you could play on the computer - "pause" a couple of missions. That is: Just say that you want to take them - select men and weapons and put them in a queue for later playing. Sync it with the PDA and play a couple of missions on the bus/train/plane/whatever and when you come back you can sync it once again and the missions are now marked as complete :P

A bad part is that I think Java in general is slow, but unforunately there are not so many alternatives that will work in PDA, mobile etc.

As reported at UFO:AS's HQ, Redboss talks some more of their UFO: Aftershock port at their Czech web site, here.

The images included for background purposes there should be familiar to most :P

::

On their Press Release they've proclaimed their desire to adhere to the experience offered on the PC. Limitation of the medium aside, I hope the translation proves faithful...