Brigade E5: New Jagged Union demo and trailer

Slaughter

Brigade E5: New Jagged Union demo:

From the official 1C site:

Brigade E5: New Jagged Union is a tactical game that places gamers in the small tropical nation of Palinero on the verge of civil war. The mission: hire a band of mercenaries and take control of the deteriorating situation before the country finds itself in complete ruin.

There is a Russian demo of this game out that you can patch to English. Read how here, or go directly to the download in our files section.

Brigade E5: New Jagged Union E3 2005 trailer:

In addition to the demo, there was also a trailer released at this years E3. It doesn't show much gameplay, but it's still worth a look. You can download it from our files section, and enjoy a few gameplay screenshots while you download it here:

brigade_e5_5.jpg brigade_e5_9.jpg brigade_e5_14.jpg brigade_e5_15.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Jh316!

Heh heh, I feel helpful.

Anyway, a bit more info. I understand they have the guy who did the mercenaries for Jagged Alliance, whose name escapes me at the moment, do the same for theirs. So that aspect should be pretty good.

Shaun Lyng.

Does an appearence in JA2 as the storekeep with a redneck problem, I think. :confused:

Also did some story on S2.

I think I dabbled with this demo before, but never got anywhere.

Nice with an updated version thogh. :grr:

Stereoid addicts as enemies and gun freaks as mercenaries (JA2).

I just hope I could found some horror-elements from game like this (full version).

Very nice combat system I think. Most I like that time/counting, aim while moving, 'free'-aiming and inventory.

Multiplayer (hopefully also coop) could make me more happy (alone game feel sometimes too violent... or am I just too old?).

I could get little bit hooked...

:grr::borg:;):confused::grr: (stars)

There is a multiplayer demo, but the developers havn't released it to the public yet, they've just given it to a few people to test how it works for LAN parties. I understand there's some multiplayer videos floating around. Read the thread I posted in the post on off-topic, and on the first page is a video one of the developers made of a 9-minute multiplayer game he had with someone. It isn't co-op, but no mention has been made if the final product will have a co-op mode or not.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a bit of new news.

One of the people on the game's staff, not sure what role he plays, he's the main one dealing with the people on the Bear's Pit JA forum, said that he's not sure when exactly but the Russian release of the game will be pretty soon.

>How long till release day?

Next week or something like this. Do not know exactly.

Originally posted by Sooner:

I assume this means the release date for Russia and not for an english or UK version.

Yes, you are right.

As to UK publisher - I do not know. But the fact 1C bought Cenega shows us potential European publisher.

As to official translation - 1C stated on its site the 4th quarter to be the English release time.

As to Russian release - the publisher already has a master disc for a while, so on the official Russian forum we have a bid - person who guess the exact release date will receive some prize [smile]

Wow, I really enjoyed this. This is the first thing in a long time. I particularly liked the weapons system and the inventory. Also, the scale of the whole thing. Felt nice and large and that I was having firefights over a wide scale that I could manuever in. Made it felt very strategic in regards to setting up and movement and whatnot. Though there was something I wanted to be able to do a bit better: scoot over. Maybe it was there and I couldn't find it in the english. (There seemed to be a lot more that I couldn't exactly figure out yet from the Russian.) I mean that I wanted to be able to face in one direction and just slide over one "square/space". I found I was wishing for that desperately. An example: I had a merc (from far away, laying down, way across a street) shooting at someone right behind a window, inside a room. It was going on for a while and I moved another merc right next to the window. I wanted to face inwards (at the enemy) and just move over one space and burst away. (I had no grenades left but this merc had a small submachinegun that I needed to be close up for so it worked out perfect.) Surprise them with someone right there so to speak. As it was, I would move the one square facing the way I was moving and the enemy would shoot me in the side (which would always be lethal since I was only one space away) rather than me getting a sort of surprise burst shot on them. Same thing for entrance to an open doorway. Other than that (and that I wish I could speak/read Russian), I was having a good time. It surprised me. And that's the best type of feeling for me, to be pleasantly surprised by something I had never even heard of/ had no expectations from. I'll seriously consider buying this when it comes out as I was having a good time playing it.

I didn't like this demo all that much the first time I played it, but since you guys say it's good I have to give it another try :P

When I was first playing, I thought, great another type of real time pause deal (which I'm not exactly fond of). Then combat started and I thought, oh it's something like JA. Then I got killed in a couple seconds, then again and again and again, and I thought, this is stupid. I don't know why, but I kept trying it (from quicksaves, not the entire thing) maybe by the 8th quickload, I was getting into it. It did crash on me a few times. In particular I found a repeatable crash. But it was a, "just don't do this, and it won't happen" type of bug. It also seemed a bit bare, in general, around the city. A lack of furniture in the houses and outside and whatnot. Rooms just seemed like rooms with a single chair or table in them if that. It made me feel like it lacked polish. I also wanted to be able to open shutters so that I could sniper from them. As it was, I had to go to rooms with already opened windows which limited where I could shoot from. Little things like that were bugging me and felt like the difference between an A and B title. And there just seemed like way too many guys to have to fight in a demo. I think I killed like more than 30 people all together. That's just too much for your 3 crappy mercs. Without having to quickload over and over and over again.

Certainly, if I had a choice between this and something like the new Age of Empires, this would be waiting. But it felt like a game that, if I had nothing to buy and some time to kill and wanted that JA/xcom feel again. I might pick it up. Depending upon how many missions there/playtime in general and if it gets fixed up a bit, I might be willing to spend like $20 (US) on it. If it gets spruced up and polished a good deal and that little extra is added to it, I might be willing to pay full for it. If that demo wasn't a beta demo and a demo of the finished game, I think it'll be a sitting on a store shelf for a little while before I pick it up. Like say, until I think, "Oh I remember this, I played a demo of it and had a pretty decent time. (Shrug) I'll pay 15 bucks for it."

I'm curious, what didn't you like about it? Was it just a general, "eh" type of feeling? Was it something in particular? Or just not your cup of tea.

I know there's a button to do a side-step, I just can't remember it.

As for doorways, try this: Click the button to have your weapon up and readied, then hold Alt while standing next to the doorway. Move the cursor somewhere in the room and it should say "fast turn". Left-click and your guy will move into the room while turning toward that spot as fast as he can.

And you have to remember that it's not a full demo, it's a demo beta. So it's going to lack a lot of the polish in the full game.

I know there's a button to do a side-step, I just can't remember it.

As for doorways, try this: Click the button to have your weapon up and readied, then hold Alt while standing next to the doorway. Move the cursor somewhere in the room and it should say "fast turn". Left-click and your guy will move into the room while turning toward that spot as fast as he can.

And you have to remember that it's not a full demo, it's a demo beta. So it's going to lack a lot of the polish in the full game.

Thank you a lot. I kept hoping there were ways to do stuff that I just couldn't get to because I couldn't get the Russian. I should have tried different key combinations. That makes a big difference. Makes me think there's more I didn't get as well.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know if it was Beta or full. If it continues to be polished, it will make a big difference for me purchase wise. And hopefully, when a full demo comes out, I'll get a better grasp of the whole product. If anyone knows of a complete (or even uncomplete) list of keys that are used (in English), please mention it or put up a link.

What do you mean, couldn't get the russian? Didn't you download the English patch?

I downloaded something, but as far as I remember, it seemed to be mostly in Russian still. I didn't get the files from here. I can't remember where I got them from but there wasn't anything explaining stuff with it. I'm sure I didn't see a list of keys or something like that in English. Then again, I didn't really look very hard. Usually, I'm pretty good about reading readme files and whatnot, but in this case, I just jumped right in and started screwing around and playing. It seemed pretty intuitive for the most part so I just kept on going. Does the English patch explain all the keys and everything? Should there be a big "Doh" in front of my message?

• 2 weeks later...