Levelled up "spares"

Monster74

I have been playing with a steady crew slowly building them up, i came to the lab mission and decided to drop my sniper in favour for another soldier but low and behold as i checked the points of the others they were extremely high compared to my levelled team i.e. my sniper has a snipe of 53 where as the totally unused sniper had a snipe of 87.

my question is what is the point of the skill tree?

To be honest, the whole "unused characters level up" process is very, very buggy. Evasion points, in particular, are wildly off. If you don't take the time to train your guys outside of combat (meleeing dead bodies, shooting trees for target practice, etc.) your guys will NEVER match the huge skill ratings of the guys left at base. It's idiotic.

Now, your question about the skill tree seems like a totally unrelated issue. The skill tree is the tree of character-specific attributes, like "Night Vision" or "Vanguard" or "SMG Specialization". The point of those is quite clear; they are a roleplaying element for your characters, and they help make them much more effective in their chosen specialized roles. For instance, if you use a medic as one of your "sneaky kill" soldiers, giving them the melee skills could be useful. The skill tree allows you to pick one special skill every time the character levels up.

Heh heh... yeah, one of the largest drawbacks to leaving guys at the base, and expecting to use them later, is that their skills are usually nothing at all like what you woud like. This is especially true for characters that need lots of prerequisite skills to reach something (example: getting the Panzerklein-related Engineer skills).

Not a good thing if you like to choose how your people progress!

• 4 months later...
I think that using the Skill Watchdog (see above) will let you do that...

Check the readme.

I am actually playing with the same six from the start.

Everytime one dies, restart mission, alot more challengin + I dont get to notice the others left behind, due to I keep the sam e6 and never look at the LOOB's. (Left Out Of Battle).