High Res X-com

BladeFireLight

Moe, the creater of hq2x for DosBox has been at it again. Curently he is working on an openglhq scaler for dosbox. this offloads the scaling to he video card and alows for scaling at any factor with no more cpu load then hq2x.

check out the folowing screen shots.

Moe's Windows mode 3.33 scaling

Moe's Full screen 4.00 scaling

Geoscape 1600x1200

Tactical 1600x1200

This is still verry beta and requires a video card with pixel shaders. Defenetly something to keep an eye on as it becomes more stable.

-Blade FireLight

Perhaps if a pixel smoothing filter were put in place to make the obvious blocky pixels just vanish after the image has been scaled up. Sort of like a very mild selective Gaussian blur effect one would find in most image editing packages. Although I don't know how quickly and how efficiently they'd be processed, as it would have to work on each frame just before they're flipped onto the screen. Of course, I realise something like that can be a serious memory hog...

Stll, look at the smoke in some of those screenshots. If they blended slightly with their adjacent pixels, they would't leap out at you like they do.

But eh, interesting idea nonetheless.

- NKF

And you can upload the pictures to the post if Moe permits :cool:

I might be a moderator but I cant seem to atach images to a post.

For thoes who are interested. The tecnical discustion of this can be found here. That is the developer's forum so dont expect any tech support unless you have a debug report.

Adding this to the DosBox source and compiling it is a real pain. lucily Moe has posted the ocasional windows binary for us. Linkage

However you need to know how to export and modify the config file just to turn on openglhq

-Blade FireLight