Download UFO CE from Fileplanet

Slaughter

Hmm, Fileplanet offer the Collectors Edition of UFO:Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defence) for download here. If they do I guess that means it is finally "official abandonware". That should mean we can as well, right? The one they offer include f0dders fix and the un-official strategy guide.

I'd wait until we hear any official word from the current owners (Whomever they are), or perhaps even e-mail the Fileplanet administrators and inquire about it first.

Mind you, I'm all for the idea of having the game released into the public domain (or rather, I'm all for the source code to be released into the public domain), but it pays to be cautious and check before jumping to any conclusions.

- NKF

Indeed, we should check with Fileplanet and try Atari as well, but if we get no joy from Atari then we'll just have to bravely go ahead with Fileplanet's response.

This could mean good things for TFTD too as it was released the year after ;)

is there any PUBLIC 'place' where I could download this legend (I haven't paid for games after S^3 and I'm not going to start again because this)?

KoMik (who open his small thin wallet only for exelent games and maybe for exelent bl*wjobs... oops ;) )

I don't recall having to pay for anything from fileplanet - just sign up for their free account. I think they might have two - one's paid and jumps all the queues, and one's free but you do have to queue at busy periods.

I think that's right but I'm at work and unable to check!

Thanks Pete... And I'm sorry about my 'negative' post but I have become bit worry about that all games seems to become so fast finished 'massproducts' (and those cost a LOT). I still believe that someones makes games with love and honor.

(...and about that 'bj'... actually I'm not ready to pay from anything what doesn't happens in the name of love)

:) I go back and and check that beloved legend what I have missed somehow (in formerlife...)

btw... in my posts ;) means I'm not serious... just a stupid little KoMik-human.

I'll try to contact Fileplanet and Atari.

@KoMik: You can register for free at Fileplanet. You have to wait a while in the public queue, but for a game like UFO it's well worth it! ;) They have named the UFO executable wrongly however, so what you should do is this: After you download, rename UFO.EXE to UFO Defense.exe. Then double click the loader file (ldr_something.exe), and it will start properly.

What does this mean in regards to Terror from the Deep? For a long while, people have been mistaken that it too is abandonware. (It still exists on some sites that claim to be lawful.) Is it only a matter of time before that would go too? It would be ridiculous not to...

Apocalypse, doubtlessly, still has a ways to go in my belief.

TFTD came about a year after UFO. APOC came in 1997, so if it took 12 years for UFO to came out (if UFO came out 1993), then APOC might come out in 2009...

Well, dates don't really have anything to do with it. It's entirely up to the owners. Legally, I believe, it takes something like eighty years for something to enter the public domain without the permission of the owner.