Stalingrad stage?

A-R-Z

Wouldn't it be a great idea to implement a Stalingrad random encounter on the Russian map? Sure, Volgograd isn't in the Urals, but hey...

You could have Russian and German NPCs in large numbers fighting it out in a completely built up area, simulating the house-to-house fighting that occured, with massive losses to each side. You could have several storeys of building, and as the buildings get more and more beat up, it could make for some very interesting scenes. It would be cool to have both an German and Soviet version.

Also... ehe... does the editor automatically save when you exit? 'Cuz I think I might have accidently moved something when I was viewing... or attempting to view a map (I got a load of coloured squares... :huh: )

That would be neat! :huh: But if would probably be quite a job setting it up. And if you intend to have a lot of units fighting on the same map it will be extremely demanding of the hardware, and the enemy turns will take long. Therefore it would have to be fairly small scale compared to what it was. That being said I'd really like to see it done! Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Yeah, Pete, one bombed-out block at a time, per map. Maybe one big building at a time! Dudes run in and try to take it over at random intervals.

One of the things I always wanted to see in S^2 was capturable 'zones' ala JA2... Maybe if you capped one area of Stalingrad, you would have to decide later if you wanted to go back and defend it against the enemy, or lose it to their incursion. Then, if you lost it, something nasty would happen.

But I don't know what. Haven't fully worked out the mechanic yet. Cappable zones, but so what? What good would that do the player in the game? What possible bonuses or advantages would a particular zone confer on the controlling player?

Ehh, whatever. Stalingrad map = cool idea.

The idea of a large scale assault does sound great until you make it. I made a mission once where you assaulted an axis mansion with a large allied backup. I thought it would be great fun, until I reakised that every turn was taking absolutely ages because of all the units moving and firing. Especially when they are in view because every little turn and move is played out.

The base assault in S3 where you have to defend the hammer base is quite well done. Not too many people engaging at once and the assault comes in two waves, reducing the amount of time you spend twiddling your thumbs.

Well, you've noticed how much faster the enemy turns go when you can't see them, right?

But yeah, sometimes the wait time is ridiculous. And then other times, you're like "What the hell?! Aren't you going to at least try and HIDE if not come at me? I'm shooting the hell out of you and you're just standing there"

But those turns don't take that long... Phooey.