Started with Sentinels today!

Aralez

Ok, after completing S2 once with the axis side (without cheats etc.) and once with the allies (this time with mods and cheats), i started a Sentinels campaign today. I re-created my Alter Ego from my axis game (only a bit older and with more scars, because i wanted to reflect the lost war) and well, i have some questions/observations.

1. Why is Sentinels an addon? I think it doesn't use any files of the S2 installation, but i could be wrong...

2. The possibilty to change every single aspect of the difficulty settings is nice, as are the new weapon/cost management features. Good work there!

3. As i wanted the game to be "realistic" i gave all troops 100% VP and AP and 100% damage. BUT well, there we have the problem: In the game you'll need 5 or 6 direct hits from point blank range with a revolver to down someone (or to be downed)!!! Should i restart a campaign with the max damage settings for higher realism?

4. You can buy uniforms! Nice! Now i will finally have a team with ONE uniform type and no more Doctors with white clothes in combat! :huh:

5. Finally you can throw grenades at more realistic distances, still not perfect (too short) but better than in S2.

6. Where are the mods? The mods from S2 will surely not work and i haven't found mods for S3 yet....

1: Good question. It is standalone and does not use any files from S2. Guess the reason is that it's not really a full game. It's even shorter than S2 and doesn't really add much, so it IS an addon.

2: Agreed :huh:

3: Sounds like they can take too much then. Is this with targeting a body part or just normal shots?

4: Hehe, indeed ;). They have no use besides the looks though (I think I read...).

5: Yep, that's good.

6: Most people do not know it is out. Think there have been like 3 reviews in English...;) When no one know the game is out, few will mod it ;)

I did my first "real" mission (after the tutorial-like and the loyalty-test) and as i did not have enough money i had to do that mission with one unit alone! Well, one thing's for sure: the difficulty level has been increased a LOT since S2! :huh: The weapons are still a bit too weak to be realistic (even on 200% damage) and so the fight took very long, often i was surrounded by 4 or 5 units and had to fight my way out with grenades (which behave a bit more realistic in S3 than in S2) and by stealthy withdrawals to better positions (and firing from there). In the end i had killed about ~14 enemies and gained ~3000 $ by selling looted weapons and 1500$ for the completed mission. That sounds a lot, but it isn't. The cheapest mercenary (with lousy stats) costs 2000 $ and the weapons don't come that much cheaper. e.g A decent MP comes to ~1500 etc!

But still: the next mission will see my team equipped with two units, which will hopefully decrease the difficulty of the missions a bit...

The AI acts very clever, they work in teams, hide, they try to surround you etc. Nice! So far i'm very satisfied with Sentinels, the only thing that's a "negative" on my list are the weak weapons, maybe i'll have to make a mod... :D

And the graphics have been improved enormously, too! :D