Oh noes

Torgulf

;) and I don't have anything better than Kalashnikovs. No, really :huh: They totally mangle me, except for in open terrain. But those small bases are very cramped and I just stopped reloading upon every death, so I'm like being raped here ;) Does anyone have any good anti-reticulan-base tactics? (during the last game I finished, I reloaded as soon as someone died, but I still always got 6 or 7 to the sickbay in each alien base ;) and they pop up like pimples in the face the day before the date with a really hot girl ;))

Their battleships are equally horrible too, and they all seem to crash inside of my territory and become "profound", so I don't have much of a choice :(

And by the way - which is better: Substantial or profound? ;)

Thanks in advance for any insight on this :D and I hope it hasn't been asked and answered a million times before ;)

My first post in the Aftermath forums... a milestone no doubt. :huh:

I find that since I tend to be much closer up than in outdoor missions, shotguns do work reasonably well. I'm not sure at which point the aliens get Sun Armour (which would considerably reduce the impact of your ballistic weapons) though. However, just the massive bulk of damage points will ensure that something considerable still gets through the enemy's shields.

However, all this relies on being close enough - for being farther out, I have no idea. If rifles is all you've got, you've probably already tried keeping your guys together and grouping shots... The best thing to do might be to move to places where the range of engagement removes the Reticulan's damage-over-range advantage... and nail them with three shotguns at a time. ;)

Also, consider taking less than the full seven inside. Contrary to the above get-as-many-guys-to-shoot-the-enemy-as-you-can 'tactic', sometimes I find that if I have seven soldies in the starting section, the nearby plentiful Reticulans sometimes hinder my exit strategy and thus my troopers get massacred with missiles. Unpleasant.

Others can give better answers than I on this, but you can "cheat" by delegating the missions until you have better equipment ;)

Regarding substantial and profound I believe it's profound.

Yeah... I found a few CAWs lying around, but that didn't do much of a difference, not in battleships at least :huh: so I guess it's time to finally let the regular troops sweat a little :D

I find that since I tend to be much closer up than in outdoor missions, shotguns do work reasonably well. I'm not sure at which point the aliens get Sun Armour (which would considerably reduce the impact of your ballistic weapons) though. However, just the massive bulk of damage points will ensure that something considerable still gets through the enemy's shields.

However, all this relies on being close enough - for being farther out, I have no idea. If rifles is all you've got, you've probably already tried keeping your guys together and grouping shots... The best thing to do might be to move to places where the range of engagement removes the Reticulan's damage-over-range advantage... and nail them with three shotguns at a time. ;)

I just tried that, and yeah, I must say it works pretty well :( Most things die instantly to those CAWs on full auto, but I am most concerned about these thingies (that the alien there is carrying around). I think it's them at least; they kill the entire squad in like two or three shots ;) Or wound them enough to incapacitate them.

The procedure usually looks like this:

1) Wow, a reticulan... *shoots and gets shot*

2) Starting to heal those with their health in the red zone

3) Wow, another reticulan... shame we've got our hands full of medikits ;)

4) Three or four casaulties, another reticulan pops up

5) At least we died with our boots on... ;)

Also, consider taking less than the full seven inside. Contrary to the above get-as-many-guys-to-shoot-the-enemy-as-you-can 'tactic', sometimes I find that if I have seven soldies in the starting section, the nearby plentiful Reticulans sometimes hinder my exit strategy and thus my troopers get massacred with missiles. Unpleasant.

Could work, I'll give it a shot ;)

Hmm... a sun retty with a plasma-gun, a very deadly combination early game. If you have earth only weapons, no alien nor hybrid ones, then stick with hard ammo weapons. When in tight quarters, the handguns are better than rifles. Having a SMG fire in bursts with 33%+ chance to hit will chew their health quite fast, but expect at least one return shot.

Try to get the alien laser rifles ASAP vs yellow armoured rets. When facing any opponent, not just rets, with a plasma gun, keep you men at least 2 squares away from eachother. Those things are area effect weapons, and anyone in or next to the square where it hits will be badly damaged. Don't bother healing unless you've gotten rid of the threat as you'll just loose the damaged soldier plus the medic.

Since alien plasma guns are lobbing weapons you can use it to your advantage if you setup your men at angles where they can't fire at you while you can at them. Usually tight corners. The alien will have to move to get closer and your weapons will be dealing enough damage during that brief period of time to at least knock it out.

They are? :D I would never have guessed that 9mm > 7.62, but I guess ALTAR work in mysterious ways ;) And one return shot is much better than the three they usually get (although I just managed to root out a base without any casaulties :huh: *proud* 7/7 to the sickbay though...).

The lasers are useful? ;) I never bothered with them, not even in the last game I finished, thinking "what can they do that we humans can't? Bah, humbug!" - but I guess it's time to finally embrace it ;)

But anyway, thanks for the advice Kret (and everyone else ;)) ;) I think it'll work much better than the "quantity-over-quality"-kalashnikov-thing I'm doing now :peachy:

*fires up Aftermath again to try out that old Area 51-thing that has been hanging around since a few months back*