The Movie Thread

Slaughter

Hehe, I knew you wouldn't like that FullAuto :blush:

I know that the pacing worked well at the time, back when films were more about suspense than action, but I just don't like that pacing. I feel a little bad comparing the two but Aliens is my favourite (director's cut obviously, where you actually get to see the colonists you're supposed to give a crap about).

Is the countdown accurate then? It would be nice if it were as 99% of the time they're not and it's really stupid. I'm sure in a few Bond films 10 seconds has been dragged out for always seems like a minute for example.

The only shame about trailer 2 now I've seen it is that the film holds no surprises whatsoever for me :argh:

The space jockey is alive during the film, evidently he's going to take off and attack/destroy/convert Earth (likely the latter) and the reason he's in his big chair for the original Alien is because he's about to fire his big, honknig space gun at the Prometheus in this film shortly before he bites the dust.

So that's a few minutes of the story I don't need to see now.

Oh, and nobody's getting off the planet alive,

unless this is a real re-imagining (just another word for reboot really) in which case he can do whatever he likes - and I hope he does because whilst the original Alien was suspenseful, I can't really sit through it nowadays as it's a bit slow when you put it next to Cameron's sequel (I know, sacrilege) but thankfully he appears to have picked up the pace for this one and certainly has the benefit of some truly stunning visuals. In terms of the visuals, I actually really like the fact that he's making a film for cinema and not even thinking about a DVD release because the Prometheus streaking across the clouds in that zoomed-out shot is going to be a speck of dust on a TV screen - I actually do like the fact that he's obviously making the film he wants, his way.

The rest of it is people running around being silly billy's.

And I know I'll still watch it - it is going to be the movie event of the year, but I will kick myself very hard if I spoil it any more by watching more trailers :D

On a vaguely related note, I was very good when it came to Star Trek and only watched the one, very vague trailer before seeing that - not that they actually released many trailers early on to cause too many spoilers.

Back on topic, I hope he will be tempted to discard the fact that he's already made Alien and remake it. From there the series is his to do with as he likes, as he doesn't have to bother with the Ripley character (not even for an Alien remake) and since I suspect this will change the established universe at least a little bit he can discard all of the other films - probably for the best in the case of 3 and 4.

From what I've read, Prometheus isn't a reboot of Alien nor even a prequel... it's simply set on the AvP universe, somewhere between AvP2 and Alien. Which kinda makes me suspect that the trailers might simply be throwing people on the wrong direction regarding the plot. The story seems pretty straight forward but, like they say, the devil is in the details.

I think what scares the most is the music of the trailer and it blends with the action scenes. Of course, if the plot is crap then that won't really matter. And also, how much technology has evolved in 30 years that we start seeing some of the world of Aliens actually starting to happen - artificial lifeforms, genetic engineering, medical advances, megacorporations, etc. The fake TED talk to me was genius - I can really imagine someone in 10 years giving that kind of speech and quite honestly right now I don't know if I would be scared or thrilled.

Aw, come on ref! Comparing the two is like comparing Psycho to The Devil's Rejects. Both good films, but Alien's pacing is exactly what it needs to be for it to work. Same with Aliens (including the last bit, where I even timed the countdown because I am a sad, sad bastard).

I completely agree with FullAuto. You can't really compare both movies, Alien is about suspense and horror, Aliens also but more about action (I also timed the countdown LOL).

Okay, but I'll compare Alien to The Thing (original version) and say I liked that better. Not just because it made me laugh lots when that chap's head grows legs and toddles off (:argh:), but because it was actually more scary/interesting to me.

But that's just me. Alien just feels like a bit of a chore sometimes, sorry ;)

The deleted scenes for Alien are quite interesting though, with two of the chaps being turned into alien eggs to begin the cycle again (which came first - the human or the egg? :D) - wonder if he'll put that in Prometheus? Of course it doesn't fit at all with Aliens if he were to do that because of the Queen, but it would be interesting.

Okay, but I'll compare Alien to The Thing (original version) and say I liked that better. Not just because it made me laugh lots when that chap's head grows legs and toddles off (:argh:), but because it was actually more scary/interesting to me.

I agree actually, I like The Thing a little more than Alien, I think it does paranoia superbly. However, again, it's a fairly slow-paced film and it doesn't speed up that much even towards the end.

But that's just me. Alien just feels like a bit of a chore sometimes, sorry ;)

As someone once said to me "We'll just agree that all your opinions are shit and you are wrong." I think he meant to say "agree to disagree" but it went wrong. What a twat.

I'll let sweatmeister Roger Ebert have a word here:

One of the great strengths of Alien is its pacing. It takes its time. It waits. It allows silences (the majestic opening shots are underscored by Jerry Goldsmith with scarcely audible, far-off metallic chatterings). It suggests the enormity of the crew's discovery by building up to it with small steps: The interception of a signal (is it a warning or an SOS?). The descent to the extraterrestrial surface. The bitching by Brett and Parker, who are concerned only about collecting their shares. The masterstroke of the surface murk through which the crew members move, their helmet lights hardly penetrating the soup. The shadowy outline of the alien ship. The sight of the alien pilot, frozen in his command chair. The enormity of the discovery inside the ship.

I think Alien builds really well, similar to how Aliens does, actually. You know, absolutely know when watching Aliens, having seen Alien, that it is all going to kick off spectacularly, but it doesn't for ages. Alien doesn't really have the same scope to the action, so it's understandable it's payoff doesn't hold up in comparison, but for me, watching Alien again was still excellent, all the more so sometimes because I knew what was going to happen. Certain scenes (facehugger, chestburster) were not as scary, but some were worse because I knew it was inevitable (Brett, Dallas, Lambert). But hey, you find it slow going, fair enough.

The deleted scenes for Alien are quite interesting though, with two of the chaps being turned into alien eggs to begin the cycle again (which came first - the human or the egg? :D) - wonder if he'll put that in Prometheus? Of course it doesn't fit at all with Aliens if he were to do that because of the Queen, but it would be interesting.

That can still work, I remember reading some Alien novels (I was a child, that's my excuse) and any Alien can become a queen, so you could look at it as some kind of intermediate stage as the drone alien becomes a Queen, or just make up any old shit, that's what they usually do. Great to see the stuff they didn't use, but by far the best one for that is Alien 3. Some of the abandoned ideas for that were bonkers. IIRC one of them was for Ripley to land on a space station/monastery made of wood.

Alien Resurrection, though, should never have been made. Jeunet, who ended up directing, initially said no because he thought the series was completed with Alien 3, and it's a shame he didn't stick to that. IIRC, Whedon's script was originally a pisstake. And, despite rewrites, it still shows.

I completely agree with FullAuto. You can't really compare both movies, Alien is about suspense and horror, Aliens also but more about action (I also timed the countdown LOL).

I love the internet, it lets me know I'm not alone no matter how sad I become. Saddo high five, Hobbes!

The Adventures of Tintin. Bored the arse off me. Like a rollercoaster ride, but with incredible dullness in the place of excitement. Loads of chases and action and it's all shit. Depressingly by the numbers in every single scene. Andy Serkis trying to do a Scottish accent is just pitiful, someone stop this man from being in any more films, please. Script has the occasional funny moment.

That can still work, I remember reading some Alien novels (I was a child, that's my excuse) and any Alien can become a queen, so you could look at it as some kind of intermediate stage as the drone alien becomes a Queen, or just make up any old shit, that's what they usually do. Great to see the stuff they didn't use, but by far the best one for that is Alien 3. Some of the abandoned ideas for that were bonkers. IIRC one of them was for Ripley to land on a space station/monastery made of wood.

In all Alien comics I know, and those are the only ones expanding the Alien universe (comprised by only Alien and Aliens, mind you), the queen is implanted by a special facehugger, a spiky one for that matter, even the chestburster is different and usually guarded by Praetorians (queen guard)

I've read the novels, as well. They were well written, and was, if memory serves, set after Alien and Aliens, but before Alien Resurrection. I think there were military experiments on them, but it's been ages since I've read them.

I have nearly all of them. The thing is that the series universe started merging with Predator (a tendency which started on the same novels) and that seems to be the path they chose after Alien Resurrection.

The Count of Monte Cristo. The 2002 version. Much to my surprise, it's actually good! Guy Pearce, Jim Catweasel or whatever, and an old style story of action and intrigue. Some big logic gaps, but no worse and certainly mostly better than similar modern tales.

Sword of the Stranger. Nice bit of anime, surprisingly gory, very well animated on the whole. Lack of originality, with an annoying child, taciturn samurai hero, superhumanly skilled bad guy who just wants to meet his match, machiavellian old bastard, etc. Still really enjoyable to watch, though.

Love and Honour. Another samurai flick, following a food taster who ends up blind and yet still seeks a duel. Quite good, but it's not going to convert anyone. A small, rather intimate film concerned with individuals, much like Twilight Samurai, The Hidden Blade, etc.

After Sex. A series of short vignettes about many different couples, after they've had sex. It's basically all dialogue, but stays interesting and amusing for most of it. One to watch with your other half should you have one.

I don't, so I just put my Batman T-shirt on instead.

Watched X-Men: First Class last night. It lived up to the title.

This should have been the quality they were aiming for with the last couple of films.

I was also impressed to see subtitles and foreign language segments for what seems like the first time in decades - makes the scenes were they're supposed to be in different countries far more authentic.

Nice cameo in it too.

Watched one great film, one mediocre and one bad. Scratch that, one great, two bad.

Good things first, don't miss My Afternoons with Margueritte with the superb Gerard Depardieu. It's a nice story, no drama or silly comedy, just a story about a man who wants to become more and better himself, and meeting the right person to trigger that change. Was refreshing to watch something this good after all the crap from Hollywood I've been watching, and I've been watching because I'm just that masochistic :argh:

I wish more european movies came this way, Hollywood trash gets top priority so we don't really see french or italian movies as often as I would like to, I don't think I've yet watched a bad Gerard Depardieu's movie.

Now for the shit. What just happened. Why, oh why must De Niro continue making crap? He is a great actor, is there no decent roles for this man? Mediocre to bad story about a hollywood producer, seeing his wreck of a life product of his work, and how he has to deal with idiotic movie directors and actors. Pointless story and NO ENDING, I mean, it just ends, the story isn't completely told as promised and the things the protagonist tells at the beginning of the movie, we do not see at all, we see everything leading up to them but not how or why they happen. Trash.

Also, Los Ojos de Julia (Julia's Eyes). Spanish horror thriller. A woman going blind discovers the corpse of her sister, who suffering the same eye disease also went blind, and suspects she was murdered, in opposition to everyone else who thinks she commited suicide.

The movie is shot decently, the plot unravels entertainingly until the sheer stupidity of everyone is just too much to bear. Everything is arranged too conviniently, everything plays against the protagonist in highly unrealistic manners, everyone around her seems too stupid to see obvious things. In the end everything feels like a bad episode of Criminal Minds, disappointing.

Az, have you seen El secreto de sus ojos? That's an amazing film.

I've seen Los ojos de Julia and your review is fair, I think. It's competent and does a lot of things right, but ultimately the plot makes people act like retards.

21 Jump Street. It's actually funny. It's not one of those American comedies where you have one joke or funny scene, then there's dialogue and exposition and a few more scenes and then one more joke, as if they're being rationed out. There are plenty all the way through, mostly hit rather than miss. I don't think much of Jonah Hill, I think his baseline level of acting is annoying, but he's okay here, and his fellow lead, Channing Tatum, is much better, despite having quite a square head. Not totally retarded but still quite a bro film.

Az, have you seen El secreto de sus ojos? That's an amazing film.

Gah! Still pending! worst thing is I think I have it around somewhere, Ricardo Darin is an excellent actor and I've been looking forward to seeing him in that one, for some reason or another I haven't sad.png

If you enjoyed that movie, and assuming you like Argentinian cinema, I highly recommend you watch "Un cuento chino" (A chinese take-away), also by Darin. Also a great argentinian movie, and probably my favourite from that country, is "Esperando la Carroza" (Waiting for the hoarse), Darin is not in that one but an excellent uruguayan actress called "China" Zorrilla and a superb argentinian actor called Antonio Gasalla are.

Dracula (1931). Largely defanged by time, this has aged to the point where it is mainly laughable, yet still retains some creepy parts and is all the more respectable for it. Bela Lugosi gives a great performance amidst a lot of ham, in a film that you think is riddled with cliches, when actually it started a lot of them.

Also, it has armadillos crawling out of coffins.

wta.jpg

Why? Because of reasons, that's why.

P.S. If anyone could tell me why, please do. Driving me mad.