Stuff

Psy Guy

Hooray for raising two-year-old posts from the dead...

Heavy Lasers get my vote.

Ok, who voted for the mind probe? Really. Come on. :P We all know the mind probe is very useful if you're trying to capture a specific type of alien.

Motion detector is useful if you're trying to track down that last alien hiding in a closet somewhere. It's more of a convenience than a necessity, however.

Smoke Grenades? Sure, if you're out in the open and need some cover, fast.

Lightning? Eh, I've used it once or twice. It's good for training small squads of rookies on smaller UFOs.

Plasma Pistol? Hey, they're just fine when you're defending a base and have a bunch of heavy plasmas with NO CLIPS 'cause you hit the 80-item limit.

Heavy Laser? Let's see: No autofire, high TU usage. You might as well be using a heavy cannon with AP ammo. Of course, they're better than that because of the unlimited ammo. Still, the fact that you have to take your engineers' valuable time to build them, makes them not worth the effort.

Cannon (Craft)? "Useful" by default, when the aliens dodge all your avalanches and stingers, you can still close in and blast them at point blank range. Plus, you can sell these things for 20k apiece, and you got them for free.

My main beef with the mind probe is that it take 50% of the user's TU's and they must turn and face the target so you end up with one use per turn. I prefer to arm that soldier and send him out actively fighting. As for getting a special rank of alien: If it has a blaster or is in a leaderish place like a command center or bridge, I try to stun it. Otherwise I shoot it.