Bases

Neo

1st Sofia Bulgaria

2nd Chungking china

3rd Topeka Kansas

4th 5th 6th Aice Springs, Australia or Bolvia or Congo (Zaire) depending on activity.

7th North Pole

8th South Pole

The REAL question should be:

Do you use polar bases or take those two bases "in-hand" and cover more populated/sponsoring land elsewhere?

BTW to add to the cost table:

N. America 800,000

Arctic 950,000

Antarctic 900,000

S. America 600,000

Europe 1,000,000

N. Africa 650,000

S. Africa 550,000

Cen. Asia 500,000

SE. Asia 750,000

Siberia 800,000

Australia 750,000

Pacific 600,000

N. Atlantic 500,000

S. Atlantic 500,000

Indian (dont know)

Stewart:

Like I said before, I never build on the poles because this leaves some areas for the aliens to fool around in. These areas are unpopulated so why bother defending them? Alien bases at the poles do little to tick off any countries!

A base in Hawaii is the same deal. Even though Hawaii is a state belonging to the country of USA, an alien base here will practically never tick off USA to decrease funding! I would much rather put a base somewhere where it could detect aliens near populated areas. (Even doubling up and having two bases in an area is better than one not pulling it's weight!) :power:

"Indian" is lumped under the "Central Asia" category I believe, which is $500,000.

Howdy;

I do use polar bases as major airbases in order to take advantage of the pathfinding algorythm the game uses; interceptions from polar bases more closely follow great circle routes.

That being said if I did not use polar bases I wouldnt cover Hawaii. I generally have no base in central asia so one would go there I suppose. The other? America maybe.

By Indian I meant Indian Ocean. I have not found a spot of land labeled as indian ocean yet.

Inquisition, Cuba (covers US, and Brazil can start paying a surprising amount of money if you're good to them).

Xenophobia, Australia (right up north, so as to cover as much of Asia at the same time). Factory/outpost.

Praetorium, North Africa (covers most of Europe, but saves the cost of building in Europe itself). Outpost only.

All research is carried out at Inquisition. Usually only Inquisition has an S&R squad, but sometimes I find myself needing a second one at Praetorium.

I often build more bases than this, but they vary greatly according to need.

I can't remember where I used to put bases, but I do remember I used to name them after the greek alphabet:

Alpha

Beta

Gamma

Delta

Epsilon

Zeta

Eta

Theta

And I used to utilise them in that order, with Alpha being my primary base of operations, and Theta being nothing more than a UFO detection outpost :power:

1. Europe

2. Eastern Asia

3. Mid Africa

4. North America

5. Australia

6. South America

7. North Pole

8. South Pole

I almost never get to complete the list because I end the game before I have the money to build the bases but this is the order which I use. Someone could wonder why I put North American base up so late but I like to expand the radar coverage, not just build bases wherever and have ufos dissapear between them..

I always have a manufacturing base in the carribean for some reason. It's a useful radar outpost.

And later on, once Psi-labs come about, I stick a recruiting facility in the South Pole. All recruits go there to get psi-tested. If they make the grade, they get shipped out to whatever base needs them.

• 4 years later...

This is an old topic, but very relevant to some recent testing. :laugh:

I do use polar bases as major airbases in order to take advantage of the pathfinding algorythm the game uses; interceptions from polar bases more closely follow great circle routes.

What I found through recent tests is that UFO's also try to follow great circle routes. If a UFO spawns in the Northern Hemisphere and needs to get down South, it runs along the Arctic Circle for a little while then drops down near the Bearing Strait (between Russia and Alaska). This is the international date line in real life, but in-game I call it the "zero" line since that is where the two edges of the flat 2d map are stitched together. I usually place a base in the Bearing Strait later in the game, but now I'm more inclined to put one there mid-game with superb intercept functionality: two or three Avengers or Firestorms armed with dual Plasma Cannons plus another craft capable of going on missions, a small group of battle-hardened troops (psi if possible) for away missions, plus a Hyperwave Decoder, Mind Shield and Alien Containment for obvious reasons. Then as the UFO's stream from one part of the globe to the other, you can nix them en-route and over water as they try to follow the zero line. You learn something old everyday. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 months later...

I usually start my first base somewhere in Europe.. usually te UK (being English, i'm biased!)

My second base is usually either in the USA (a radar / interceptor outpost) or in Japan.

I usually give my bases a theme of names, for example.. Cloud / Sky / Stars / Wind / Rain etc. My current game has a fire theme of names for the bases.. Blaze / Flame / Fire / Burn etc.

• 1 month later...