Manor House Curiousity

iceweazel

I just finished the second? (first real?) Allied mission for my sniper on normal.

I'm curious if there is/was a non-violent or much less violent way to complete this, and have allied help. I noticed during my turns only the cook was allied after I cleared the front room. :wink:

Was there a way to get out of a large fight where I didn't need to wipe out supposedly friendly troops?

normal does seem a little easy. one dead char==ok afterwards?

Ed

Can't help you with the main part of your question but the, "Dead guy with you after the mission" stuff, I can explain a bit. Dudes, as you'll painfully learn soon enough, can die but MOST OF THE TIME on Normal difficulty they're just knocked unconsious and somehow make it out with you when you leave. When one of your folk eats a big enough grenade or really takes a heavy machine gun blast full in the face you'll see that they don't just have a red tab down at the bottom of the screen but that their tab is missing and they are gone for good. At hard difficulty they can be terminated a little easier and you need to lug the unconsious bodies off the map with you.

Iceweazel:

Short answer, no. I was confused about the "Allied" thing at first (and managed to get my guys killed by said allies). When the mission is complete, the debriefing mentions that the "Allies" were after the same goal, and were willing to shoot anyone who came in their way, even if they were on the same side.

I hope there isn`t such idiotic fighting between Axis. But i guess it`s just historicaly correct, because even in nowadays there were stupid accidents in Iraq war, when American soldiers accidentaly shot each other (and there where many such accidents), so it`s no wonder that Allies did the same in ww2 8)

Good lord, please let's not turn this question into an idiotic "socio-political" discussion about how American troops are always involved in friendly fire incidents. I'm no American, but friendly fire is a fact of war, plain and simple. And let's end it here.

As for the scenario in question, the "Allies" are shooting at you because they've essentially gone rogue. Get your facts (and context) straight before shooting your mouth off. :roll:

Iceweazel:

Short answer, no. I was confused about the "Allied" thing at first (and managed to get my guys killed by said allies). When the mission is complete, the debriefing mentions that the "Allies" were after the same goal, and were willing to shoot anyone who came in their way, even if they were on the same side.

Weren't they labelled renegades? I think those are THO troops dressed as axis.

That is exactly my question. At the begining of the round, outdoor troops are the blue "Allies" until the shooting starts. :P

Only the indoor troops are immeadiately red enemies. But after I uh..

Clean Up the front hallway EVERYONE seems to want to kill our little squad.

Just curious if something like using melee or other would have resulted in help from the troops not immeadiately involved. Instead I left about 1 wall standing and no floors in the house :lol:

Ed

It's apart the game's twists & plot manouvers. Yes, they are allied troops, but they think YOU are imposters, so of course they're going to attack you.

Since they have been ordered not to let you leave alive you don't have much option but to shoot your way out.

If you're squemish about shooting allied soldiers you could always shoot to disable. It's a valid tactic in the game. Shoot for legs & arms only.

• 2 months later...

One weird thing i want to point out in this mission is that for ME, (with patch 1.2 installed) the First guy that talks to you and the soldier to the left of him, (left of his facing direction) do not produce bodies when i kill them.

I know some will say did i blow them up so they have no bodies. Well, no, i used multiple techniques to kill them. With only shurikens, with pistol only, with rifle, with SMG and MG. each method resulted the same, those two guys leave no body. Their bodies just disappear after they die. Which is really weird. Other soldiers seem to be okay and retain their bodies.

Is this glitche only on my system? And does it affect this mission at all. ALso, I'd like to know if the "mined" box in the 2nd floor contains anything useful. Cause I only seem to blow it up everytime.

Thanks alot

My rationalization is that all of the allied forces on the premises are under the corrupt command of Newhouse, and are thusly expendable. :) I do like the idea of getting out of there with as little unnecessary violence as possible though.

I've played the Newhouse mission a few times with different campaigns / lead characters, and my Soldier's squad seems to have done the cleanest run with the fewest firefights out of all my runs. After cleaning out the foyer, we occupied the room directly behind it in the center of the first floor, since most of the remaining "allied" forces are upstairs or outside and they tend to come through the front door. That door is a great defensive position to hear your opponents coming from.

There isn't much remaining opposition on the first floor, so I had my engineer and gren search the area, using the engineer to picklock and the gren as support. They also managed to "accidentally" blow a hole in the floor, so I had them loot the basement while they were at it.

Meanwhile, the AI refused to send a full squad of people to find me, so instead I took out approaching enemies one at a time, listening to them from behind the door I was defending with my soldier, scout, and medic. (I think it would have been a bit more realistic and challenging if there were pairs or a larger group of soldiers coming to find me all at once, but that's just my opinion.)

The team then regrouped and went upstairs, staying hidden and avoiding windows (in case people were outside looking for us), and since the stragglers had already been dispatched as they came downstairs and through the foyer, there was no real firefight in the entire mission - just the opening carnage and a bunch of lone soldiers, and the primary target himself.

Summary: the easiest way to deal with that mission is to stick to your objectives - finding information and finding Newhouse. Stay in the house, stay down and stay hidden. Don't bother sneaking around outside, and don't go looking for a fight or you'll surely find one.