Multiplayer mod??

Madcows

yeah it can be. Especially if your mate is anything like me and takes ages to plan a turn :twisted:

But for TB games it's pretty good, and for a game with a totally destrctible environment I'd hate to think about the network traffic needed to keep the clients updated and in sync.

• 1 month later...

I tried to start multiplayer (suscesfull) :) I can choose team (osa,allies) , weapons, soldiers but I dont know a map name - it is a number (dont write anything else) ..... where i find a number of any map ?

If i tried write some number, the game generate map of size small size with one texture on ground ..........

:):(:(

• 4 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat as the guy whose soldiers are fighting on a square patch of grass. :) I think that we, as players, could find a list of map names from the S2 editor, but it seems to want me to install a Microsoft SQL server (at least, that's what I'm guessing from the errors I get trying to start mapedit), and I don't feel like going quite that far.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread at the Nival forums has some info about the multiplayer "feature" (thread started by Biggles I might add).

Map numbers 4412, 4413, and 4414 all have seperate starting locations for the different players (from "karol66"'s post in the above thread). I have checked these and confirmed that they work. As an additional side note, if you played the demo, 4412 is the Allied map from the demo (bombed out town) and 4413 is the Axis map (railway bridge with train). Good stuff. :)

Anyway, the multiplayer mode has a few drawbacks:

-You're limited to the roster lists for whichever side you pick, Axis or Allies, meaning no using your custom character. Also, apparently whichever character you pick first becomes the "leader" like your custom in the regular game- if he dies, the game ends. Although I guess you could work out a fair way to summon soldiers using the console for each player.

-When the "leader" for either player dies (in a 2 player game... haven't tested anything with 3 players), a box immediately pops up ala the regular campaign saying "Game Over- Load, Restart, Quit" without bothering to mention who won the game.

-For some reason, running UK v1.2 all the male characters have the same voice set, with the females having a different voice set but all females sharing it. This might just be a bug on my side though.

In conclusion, I guess you could play hotseat multiplayer if you and your friend(s) cared enough to deal with the lack of implementation and minor drawbacks I listed above. I personally would wait until Sentinels to see if Nival implements a multiplayer mode that is a little more workable. Although they haven't said anything about it, you never know. :lol:

As an addendum, it's very easy to install the Microsoft SQL server. It is located on S2 CD 1 with the following path:

D:binMSDEsetup

Run that program to install it and you should be able to run the editor.

It's also a neat way to actually play against the in-game squad characters. I'm sort of interested in assembling two squads of familiar characters and battling the AI just to see how it goes.

As far as the whole "Main Hero" aspect, think of it like chess where one person on each side is the "king". :) Maybe use scouts for the main heroes and hide like crazy. If it were worth the trouble you could come up with all sorts of goofy "scenario" games based on classes and equipment.