Ai

Deejax

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any idea about modifiying the AI?

I've seen lots of interesting mods out here but nowhere an AI improvement. I think it is one of the big flaws in the game. It would really make a difference if the enemies knew how to work together and react to thing happening on the field. I don't know how many times I made piles of dead reticulans because they kept coming around the corner one-by-one. :devil:

You would think that a big pile of dead buddies would be a deterrant, right?

The only files ive found that describes the ai is tactical/configs/game/listofai.txt. It describes 5 behaviours for each creature, group, tired, aggression, protection and help. For each behaviour theres a list of how its influenced by different factors. I dont think there's much room for creating new ai-behaviours, but on the other hand, im dont know how these values are used by the game.

And ALTAR have indicated that the next patch will improve the AI. Think it would be nice to see how that works out first, before starting to work on something yourself...

Yeah, that would be very interesting. Makes it a LOT easier if you have two different AI's to compare.

Any promises on when that patch comes out?

@Sigget

What kind of factors are there for the different behaviours? Do you think it is possible to add other behaviours?

Well, theyre mostly regarding the states an alien is in, factors such as iswounded, friendnearby and so on, if you compare the settings for different creatures you'll probably figure it out, for example the flapper is totally passive while reticulans have tendencies to group together and attack aggressively.