Vfs Extraction Utility

sigget

hey sigget! first let me say good job on the vfs extractor! i tried extracting the main vfs file and then deleted it after to see if the game would run but i got a few errors saying it couldn't find files. Reason i attempted this was becuase some games, which have all the files in one archive, still play if u extract the contents of the archive and delete the original one

ok how close r u on making one that can make vfs files?

Not much of a modder, but if you can make it produce vfs files as well, and ALTAR have nothing against it, I can setup a page for it here. But we really need it to be able to make vfs files too...

As for interest in mod tools, I think most people are waiting for the official ones. Guess that's why there's no replies.

Anyway, I'll take a look at it, and talk to ALTAR. Then I'll give some serious feedback.

Hi there, i tried the vfs extractor on a german version with the V1.2 patch on a Windows 98 SE pc. Worked like a breeze, no probs at all. Extracted also the german localization vfs-file. Good job !

So now we have lots of material for projects until we can create vfs files :rolleyes:)

Does someone known what system for 3D-Models / Meshes is being used ?

btw : https://freelancer.mipu.de

cu mipu

Thanks for everything!

Im currently working on a VFS compilation utility. It will create VFS-files by folding a directory structure together into a final archive. So, no editing yet. Which will make editing gamefile.vfs is a bit clumpsy ;-) Im also working on an windows explorer-like utility that will allow more precise editing.

I havent had a look at the savegame editors yet. But if i get my work finished they will surely be a lot more useful.

The files contained in the archives needs lots of research. If you find this kind of work interesting please contribute your finds and ill incporate them into the specifcation.

The utility is likely to be finished during the end of this week.

Cheers!

PS. Slaughter, post it as you see fit! :-) DS.

I will post the tools in the mods section sigget. Well done! Here's some more compliments to you from ALTAR :rolleyes::

Thank you for this nice collection and pass my honest admiration on to

the guy who figured out the format of VFS file (BTW it stands for

"Virtual File System"). I don't have a problem with any of these tools

being released.

I hope we shall be able to release a more comfortable vfs file editor

as well as a description of our 3D models format and a tool for

converting them into binary format (this is the format the models are

in the gamedata file).

Nice! They seem like good people. Ill keep working on my tool anyway, since i got this far, and since im too stuborn. Also, we dont know when those tools will come.

I just learned that ill have no net the coming two weeks so the tools might be delayed a little. Not very long probably.

Thanks for unpacker..

Excelent toy.. I can enjoy all this files now..:rolleyes:

And edit it.. Terrific!!!

:alien2: UFO Aftermath Autopsy - Research started ....

But.. Its sometimes hard to understand it without viewing in-game results..

So.. Only theory for a while...

• 5 months later...
Hello, I'm a fellow gamer trying to make a mod for lord of the rings: War of the ring (wotr). I have a problem in that the game files are stored in an archived format ending with a .h2o extension. I guess this is similar to the problem sigget has been working on solving through the creation of his tool for ufoaftermath. I would love to see a similar tool made available for war of the ring. My search for an already existing utility to access these files has proven fruitless. Unfortunately,I think I lack the necessary skills to create one, and I know that nobody else in my game's community is skilled enough to do it either without a lot of help. I have no programming skills whatsoever, but I thought I would post here and see if sigget might be interested in either pointing me in the right direction or maybe even trying his hand at making another tool for a different game.

Ive made some progress, its not the average archive used by most games but a database format. The .lqr-files stored in Database/ are database tables, and 23 of those have columns carrying BLOB's (Binary Large Object), and these are stored in Archives/ and are called .h2o. These archives are definitely compressed and probably encrypted.

The exe-files contains strings from both zlib and PKWARE Compression library, it also contains calls to the win32 function CryptDecrypt, and an error string mentioning DES, a general purpose encryption algorithm.

These files could be from a commercial or open source database toolkit.

well siggest your the pro on extansions...so can you tell me what i can use to edit .w3d files for cc generals....

i have a hind models that needs to be fixed up....i just need to know what i can use tio edit the model..not the texture