An angry old-timer speaks!

David

Hello!

Many years ago, I just LOVED the full-turn based control system in UFO, except when I had to wait for hours to find a single alien hidden away. But it was BEAUTIFUL, moving soldiers like pieces on a chessboard.

Terror from the deep was much worse, with enormous, half empty maps, but the game sucked anyways.

Jagged Alliance was the best. Full control over your soldiers during battle and "interrupts", and fast movement when there were no enemies around

Fallout I II were also good examples of good turn-based games. Fallout tactics is interesting, but only if played with the old turn based mode.

UFO Aftermath sucks massive amount of (Removed by Slaughter). Your tactical options are very few, the game has been much streamlined, and the elimination of Action Points from the gameplay is an horror. I understand that the programmers want to sell the game to 16-old gamers who haven't the brainpower to subtract and add numbers, but as an old timer I feel ashamed to find the name UFO in a box containing a game as deep as Diablo...

(Removed by Slaughter)Now, excuse me, I am going to play Alpha Centauri again...

Edited by Slaughter

The game goes by time units, and can be seen at the bottom for the squaddie.

A series of orders can be given, but have to be given all at once. If clicking off the squaddie and going to another, then the orders one had given, will start over if paths can not be met, since some squaddies are faster than others or whatever.

Once use to the system, I like it, and it is hard to keep it all going even at slow speed, but it can be done, in some instances. So, to me, I keep the game more turned-based type of action, and start and stop with the Space Bar Key for Pausing in the game.

:blink:

And playing reckless can still be done, if any player wanted to play the game that way, although I may try that sometime if getting good enough to play the game that way, (without pausing so much).

But, hey, I am slow, so there you go!