I cheat. And here is why :) Flamewar!?

Aralez

Ok. calm down ! Hear me first :blink:

I have to admit that in the last few weeks i'm using ONE cheat EVERYTIME i start a base defence mission: It is the "enemies" cheat.

I enable it. Then i look what lift the reticulans use , NOT MORE, and then disable it right away.

my thought behind this is: If the Phoenix-Command is able to produce PSI-Weapons, Plasmaweapons, Warpweapons, Powerarmours etc. which need SERIOUS research and technology,

WHY CAN'T THEY AFFORD A GOOD OLD MOTION SENSOR FOR 5 BUCKS ?!?!

I mean, come on, you could get those things in the early 80's for a few units of cash! And they are not able to install them into their multi-billion-dollar-hitec-base ?! If i would control such a base, i would have cameras and automatic defence-guns in every corner, not to mention mines and traps etc.

There are even the good old Pathfinder tricks like tincans combined with some wires who can tell you that someone is coming, and those SPECIAL UNIT guys are not able to tell where a whole friggin reti-squad is coming from ?!

Ok i'm finished. Now go flame me :(

I agree with your take on base tech. But then you can ask other questions like: "Why does the bases you start with only have VERY lousy weapons?". And "Why don't we have robots to check out bases with cameras etc. before we do?" and so on. There are a million things with this game (and others like it) that isn't logical.

He, for those missions I don't need that cheat since I've actually memorized every entry point for each base design, I'm not sure if this happens after introducing v1.3 into the game but aliens ALWAYS enter through the same door (lift) for any given particular base map.

• 7 months later...

About annoying things ... there are some, but not the thing you mentioned.

1. Motion sensors in games come in two varieties in one case they are uber weapons, showing everyone and everything, making an alien hunting mission a walk in the park, and the other is that they give so little information, that you have no use of them.

2. Lousy weapons - you are just a field commander of a small unit of a big army fighting against aliens (remember about other teams, though i'm not quite sure of where they are stationed when I have conquered all the Earth :blink:) And in the beginning noone gives super weapons to a rookie team, it's quite logical to me.

BUT there are tings in UFOAM thad DO annoy me:

1. When taking over an enemy base you have a two phase mission with an above ground combat. Wouldn't it be logical to fight against aliens above ground first (like the objective of the first phase would be not to let the aliens reach the lift and ONLY if you fail, you fight inside the base).

2. In real life there are no best rifles, best pistols etc. They all have some advantages and disadvantages. Like AK-47 that is very reliable, but suffers from decreased aimed range and is heavy. Or M4 that is light and shoots fast, but the bullets are less likely to penetrate various obsticles etc. But in most of the games the later you get the gun, the better it is. I mean, looking at today's armies, most of them use M16's, M4's and AK's and their modifications, not Steyr AUG's or H&K G3's. And the usage of other guns can be explained usually by the thing that every country tends to use weapons they produce in their national factories.

Well, i guess altair was too lazy to think about such things its all about quick money thats all. If you want to have a real good game wait for the combo mod for ufo aftershock :blink:

ps: Never needed tactics in such missions, my stationed full automatic twinmachineguns slaughtered anything that came around the corner within miliseconds, i wonder why they keep trying it even when the corner is full

of penetrated reticulan bodys. Ups sorry i expected some AI behind :(

Cunctator, you are absolutely right about that motion sensors. As for the "best-weapon-effect": Did you try the ComboMod? We tried to give each weapon a special character and usage, each weapon has it's strengths and weaknesses. We were tired of that effect you described, too.