Video Problem

JyushinX

Hi,

I recently obtained a copy of X-COM: UFO Defense, the Windows Version. I seem to be running into a problem I have not read about anyone else having on this forum.

The game seems to run fine. I can play missions and such. The problem is that the screen flickers. When I don't move the mouse the screen looks fine. When I move the mouse around though (which is rather necessary), the screen flickers from lighter to darker. Not black to white, as I can still see the screen. It just changes shades. This does tend to get annoying, and hopefully this can be fixed.

I should note that I tried to change hardware acceleration to numerous settings but saw no difference. I've also used the video patch.

Notebook System:

PIII 800MHz

384MB RAM

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Integrated Video/Sound

Mine does a similar thing but just fades to black, at least it did until I hit the bastard with Windows Safe Mode, the lack of sound is no problem, I'll just play a CD and do the sound effects myself ... which may get me strange looks but it keeps me entertained.

Oh yeah, my point was to try booting in SAFE MODE and see if that sorts out the video problem.

• 4 years later...
Hi,

I recently obtained a copy of X-COM: UFO Defense, the Windows Version. I seem to be running into a problem I have not read about anyone else having on this forum.

The game seems to run fine. I can play missions and such. The problem is that the screen flickers. When I don't move the mouse the screen looks fine. When I move the mouse around though (which is rather necessary), the screen flickers from lighter to darker. Not black to white, as I can still see the screen. It just changes shades. This does tend to get annoying, and hopefully this can be fixed.

I should note that I tried to change hardware acceleration to numerous settings but saw no difference. I've also used the video patch.

Notebook System:

PIII 800MHz

384MB RAM

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Integrated Video/Sound

I have the same problem, and I have not been able to find a resolution anywhere on the net. Although the game is rather old at this point (lol nearly 5 years since last post on this thread) I was curious if anyone has a solution....seems to be pertinent over the years...anyways, respond if you know a fix besides SAFE MODE. Because I'd rather have the sound.