Need Some Explanations

warbird

hi, i'm new here, i live in germany and i followed the topics here some time but there are some questions which i think they were not answered yet, or i was to stupid to find it... so i hope you can help me... ;)

1. How stands the damage of a weapon in relation to the rps? an uzi makes 224 damage and has 7 rps. Does that mean it makes 224 damage with 7 rounds in a second or 224 damage per round? so 224*7 /sec?

Or the psg1 sniperrifle 120 damage per second or per shot by a rate of 0,4?

2. I installed the game on the wrong hdd, so i moved it to the second hdd and changed the registry keys. The game worked properly. But then i wanted to install the patch an it was automatically installed in the old empty directory. ok, i deleted the old directory with the patch files and moved the game in the wrong path again. Then i changed the reg back and wanted to install the patch again. But then the setup sais the patch is allready installed? but the game is still definitly v1.0 So does anybody know what do i have to change to run the patch again?

3. How work the stats of armor? does e.g 40 mean 40% of this damage type is absorbed or the first 40 points of damage is absorbed?

200 damage - 40% = 120 damage to my soldier or

200 damage - 40 = 160 damage to my soldier?

4. Has anybody a list which alien is weak against which damge type or quite imune to some damage type

5. How many soldiers can i keep in reserve?

6. will i ever have a chance to intercept a big battleship? i'm quite far in the game an have researched all upgrades for my airplanes but they always get killed, one time i lost 4 fleets and no enemy was killed... ;)

7. an htf can i make loading of the game faster? i have a p4 1,7 and 512 MB Ram and a fast HDD but loading always takes 20-30 seconds! :hmmm:

so, i think thats enough for the moment... :blink:

oh, 1 thing i forgot:

8. Experience: I read that you get experience for every shot. i use sniper rifles in open field an i only need 3-5 shots for the most aliens. So does it mean if i would use an uzi i would get much more xp? that would be very unfair! if a make that i won't live very long... ;) are there other possibilities to get more xp? i normally kill every alien on a map but thats not enough... but i dont wan't to cheat!

1. The figure for damage says how much damage you cause when you hit the enemy. The fire rate is how many times you fire per second. If you multiply the two, you will get the maximum theoretical damage damage your gun can inflict per second, but remember that not all bullets will hit the enemy - burst fire has limited range and accuracy.

2. I've never had that problem and the only thing I can think of is to back up all your save game files, delete everything and reinstall from the beginning.

3. If a soldier is hit by a laser beam for example, and his armour gives 20% protection against lasers, the amount of damage he suffers is reduced by 20%.

4. I don't have a list but when you go up against transgenants, combine different weapon types - I find that a combination of lasers and sniper rifles is highly effective against transgenants in the wilderness. Remember that you will go up against several different species of transgenant in each mission, and you can't tell which ones you will get in advance. The armour that the Reticulans are equipped with early in the game is optimised for the sort of weapons they carry rather than human weapons, hope that helps.

5. I think you can have a maximum of 14 soldiers, but I'm not sure.

6. You've just been unlucky. I've had four alien battleships so far, and I shot each one down effortlessly. Be patient or keep reloading.

7. Not much you can do about that except buy an even better computer. Mine has a 1.8Ghz processor and oodles of ram, but loading is still slow.

8. Experience points are based on how much damage you do to the aliens. Try taking less soldiers, so each soldier gets a bigger share of the available experience points. During a battle, kill some incapacitated enemies - a little merciless, but you are fighting for the survival of the human race!

Oh cool, at least 1 person who is nice an tries to help, thanks!

1. ok, i understand

2. i'm too lazy to do that until i know surely that there's no faster way cause everytime i sit at my pc i want to play... :blink: And furthermore have i no troubles with v1.0 ;)

3. ok, understand

4. i have seen, that there's a list in the new excel-file in the mod section...

5. ...

6. hm... then i'll try the trick with reloading...

7. that sucks cause i have to reload quite often...

8. you can be sure that i kill every alien until its dead - these bastards! ;) There should be a possibility to train your soldiers in bases for xp! ;)

9. and a new question: whats the max level for the soldiers? can i get alll stats on heroic? my best soldier is lvl 17 and if 20 is the max i can't max out all stats...

Damage by burst is the total damage for one round of burst for that weapon.

One round being all of the rounds per second that it will shoot.

On one easy game, I have more than 14 squaddies, an horizontal bar will appear on that side of the screen with the training and sickbay part (right side) that allow the arrow to show more squaddies. I have 15 in that game, since I have not dismiss anyone yet, or they are sitting there, while training more than one should the player only feel that there is one space left. There are more spaces as soon as the player moves the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom there with the arrow end.

I am not that far with the easy game, but since one squaddie came in with three options ~~ scientist, psi, and sniper, she is trained now in everything, but has less experience points than Malcolm or the other squaddie who have not been trained yet in everything.

Level 10 for her, but less experience points.

I think the total someone said is 20 total squaddies, but then it may be 21, or it may be more, since different reports come out.

8.  Experience points are based on how much damage you do to the aliens.  Try taking less soldiers, so each soldier gets a bigger share of the available experience points.  During a battle, kill some incapacitated enemies - a little merciless, but you are fighting for the survival of the human race!

Hmmmm, i dont totally agree on this one. You dont have a fixed amount of xp given in a mission that have to be diveded among your soldiers. Its not like you get lest say 2000 xp for a mission and that is 400xp per soldier if you brought 4 or 1000 xp per soldier if you brought 2.

I experimented abit with this. Saving before launching the helicopter and doing the same mission multiple times, and bringing different amounts of soldiers. Not sure about the excast amount of xp I got but it was something like this

1 soldier : 400xp

3 soldiers : 1000xp

7 soldiers : 1800xp

Make your own conlusion :blink:

I once experimented by sending out a lone soldier with a plasma shotgun on a UFO recovery mission. I used one of the cheats to make him invunerable. He killed 22 Reticulans and got over 4,000 experience points, which bumped him up several levels. I might add that I reloaded as I only wanted to see what would happen and cheating your way to victory with a computer game seems a little pointless. This was with version 1.1 - apparently the way that experience points are awarded was changed with the 1.2 patch, but I haven't got round to installing it yet.

20 Squaddies?!?!? I've never had more than 12 - they keep getting killed off because they can't outrun an alien rocket.

hm, it's a little bit confusing with the xp's... ???

somehow i don't get enough allthough i make every mission myself an kill all aliens on a map. now i've reached the point where i can observe the spaceship after which i can build one myself an my soldiers don't have a chance... as soon as i start there are 5 or 6 aliens with rocketlaunchers around me, i've no chance to run away , at least 2 or 3 hit me and my team is almost dead... But my best soldier is only lvl 17 so i always wait for missions to level them up but that takes hours... :blink: i've allready had enough time to produce bioarmors for all squadmembers... btw: i often read here the spelling armour? isn't that the french word for love? but not the english for armor, or?

so, now i've read that you get xp for critical hits - and if you look at the crytalines-trick - thats seems to be true!!! so thats quite unrelistic cause i always try to get my soldiers not hurt which means you have to play very tactically. so and therefore i get lesser xp than somebody whos squad gets almost killed everytime? That sounds for my like a bug but it explains why i get so less xp! an that angers me a lot! :hmmm: so i think i have to cheat to come along if the programmers are so unfair or stupid!!! That takes away a lot of the playfun...

I'm also having a lot of problems with the alien rocket launchers and heavy plasma guns. Have you tried using a squad of 3-4 experienced soldiers with psi weapons and using the rest to run around attracting the enemy fire?

Now for the important bit:

Armour is the correct British spelling

Armor is the correct American spelling (I think). American English evolved as a seperate dialect as soon as the English started to establish colonies in North America. These days, they spell a lot of words differently.

I think that amour is the French word you had in mind.

Hey all! This seems the place to be to ask ?'s but first about the exp thing...

Did you know that you get exp for spotting aliens... so who ever sees them first gets dome amount of exp and I'm pretty sure its the finishing shot that gets the Exp., wether its a kill or disabling them. But all Exp IS given to the squaddie that does one of those things, I'm not sure if there Exp. given for anything else?

Now for the ?... What does the Biomass LOOK like? I have yet to be able to find any to study! Also supposedly there are some sort of 'nodes' on planter ships... what do THOSE look like? I haven't seen an aliean aircraft since I researched advanced UFO detection... lol... I got the message about the Biomass a while back but can't see any? Should I be able to?

I'm at the point where the aliens have upgraded to weapons that kick my arse... I do a lot of reloading! What happens if I let a mission go without doing anything about it? I want to get some of my better troops back into sqaud but with training/healing I would have to wait 2-3 days... would that be bad?

1. With the Xp: Thats good, but in the later game it won't bring you on, i get 2000-3000 XP for the group after a mission but if you notice that a soldiers needs 15000 to reach the next level you can imagine how long it takes to get 15000x7 xp for your squad so that everyone is one level higher... ;)

2. It's a green/grey mass which covers a part of a continent. you can't miss it if it's there... but if there where no planter-ufos yet it could be, that there is none in the moment! It also took a while at me until the first planter made to start it, be happy cause it can get very annoying! :blink:

3. I've never seen such a "node" but as i observed a shot down planter ufo i had the possibility to research the biomass, so wait until such a ufo is shot down by your planes...

4. Normally its no problem, sometimes you can't do every mission because there are too much. There are some "main-missions" which never disappear on the map until you have done them. Then there are some missions which you should do at least once (like the planters) to be able to research sth new. they disappear after a time but after sometime a similar missions comes up which you can do then.

Then there are the capturing and defending base missions. You should always do them cause they push your influence, your research an engeneering, but don't worry if you can't do one, then you have to wait an do it later...

The rescue missions for example are not very important but you'll have to decide yourself what you think is important and what not...

if your people have to be healed then do this an try it with a smaller squad or some new soldiers from the reserve... and if you have none then wait, it won't cause the game to be unfinishable.

good luck!

Armor is the U.S. Spelling, the "u" is usuallly dropped as in Color vs. Colour, or Honor vs. Honour, and such as that.

Now, I have played where I have not entered into a UFO. In fact in starting about 5 games on easy, and playing over, to a point, I have yet to enter a UFO.

If one does not have UFO Access yet, then only the outside mission will take place. I did one just last night, since I have not had that engineered yet.

If not doing a UFO mission inside, then it will be done by the "others" (the computer) and resolved, and usually on "Easy Difficulty" they win! (????).

I have also waited to do Area 51 since it will stay there, and gained more experience for my main squaddies up a couple of levels, so that it becomes different. About all the further I been, since I have some other work to catch up on.